Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What Players that are on a prove it or lose it bubble?

Quote:Alualu would definitely be on the bubble, and Jax has the cap room to eat the cap hit but if I recall correctly there's only about 1M in cap savings when you factor in dead money. I don't see Jax picking up another rotational 5-technique guy for that price that would be considered an upgrade from Alualu so he'll probably stay on for another year. If he was a Hugh Douglas type personality - maybe you eat the hit but he doesn't seem to be.
This team isn't making any roster moves because of the cap.  That's not an issue for the Jags. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Riddle me this: Why are the ones who are so outspoken about cutting players over salary the same ones that scream the loudest about getting that "top tier guy" in FA?  You know, the ones that you have to overpay for... 

Because math isn't their strong suit?

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

It would be easier to say which players are guaranteed to be here week 1.

Henne

Bortles

Gerhart

Lewis

Shorts

Lee

Robinson

Joeckel

Paztor

Linder

Beadles

Bryant

Clemons

Marks

Miller

Poz

Smith

Gratz

Cyprian

Scobee

Anger

Everyone else is competing.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:Because math isn't their strong suit?

And they need something to complain about

Quote:Riddle me this: Why are the ones who are so outspoken about cutting players over salary the same ones that scream the loudest about getting that "top tier guy" in FA? You know, the ones that you have to overpay for...

Because it works on Madden.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:<div>

C. Prosinski- I have no idea how he has remained on the team. The guy can't cover or tackle

I have no idea how so many people seem to be so surprised Prosinski has made it here so long.  The guy is fast, athletic, and a good special teams player.  The NFL has turned into such a niche league.  If you can do one thing well you can make a solid career for yourself.  

He'll have a harder time making it this year because they've brought in some young guys who may be just as good as him as a special teamer.  However the only safety I would consider a lock is Cyprien.  Thats at least 3 spots open in the back of the defense.  If there arent 3 players who are significantly better at safety or who cant be a better special teams player, Prosinski may find himself on the team once again.  

</div>

Quote:Riddle me this: Why are the ones who are so outspoken about cutting players over salary the same ones that scream the loudest about getting that "top tier guy" in FA?  You know, the ones that you have to overpay for... 

Those are the armchair GMs that are smarter than everyone else.  So they tell us.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I believe it is seeded in jealousy. Someone makes millions playing a game we all love. Some people look at it and say "if that was me" or "if I had that much talent". Well...you don't.

Todman- If the reports on D Rob are true he want be here for long.

Josh Evans- I like him and wont him to step up, But Wont shock me to see Guy or another young guy start over him.

Mike Harris/W Blackmon- one of them aint making the team IMO

Quote:And they need something to complain about

There's ALWAYS that. 

Babin just got cut after the second minicamp practice.

If Loston makes the team, then Martin, Sherrod, or Prosinski is gone.

If Marcel Jensen, TE, makes the team, the person he is replacing has already been cut.

I think the team keeps 4 RB and 1 FB, but could keep only 3 RB if there is a player at a different position they want to keep.  In which case Toddman or Storm Johnson is in trouble.  If Johnson has trouble hanging onto the football in the preseason games, he may be gone regardless.  Gus' comments about Johnson's ball security and blocking immediately after the draft makes me wonder if Gus wanted Johnson in the first place.

Leroy Reynolds and Telvin Smith are the two backup LB I think are safe.  That means some of the backup LB from last year are gone.  Not sure which one they will keep.

Same with the DL.  The team added 3 players in FA and one in the draft.  The team is going to lose more than Babin from last year.

On the offensive side of the ball most of the players the team is going to cut from last year are already gone.  The exception, of course, is at WR.  It will be interesting to see if the FA acquisition, Tandon Doss, can make the team.  The Miami QB should make the practice squad.

Quote:It would be easier to say which players are guaranteed to be here week 1.

Henne

Bortles

Gerhart

Lewis

Shorts

Lee

Robinson

Joeckel

Paztor

Linder

Beadles

Bryant

Clemons

Marks

Miller

Poz

Smith. Chris and Telvin

Gratz

Cyprian

Scobee

Anger

Everyone else is competing.
there you go I fixed it for you.

Quote:there you go I fixed it for you.

With Babin gone, Chris Smith's chances look brighter. But he's not made it yet.

Quote:there you go I fixed it for you.
Add ball to that list

Cecil Shorts

/

Quote:What players do you see as this being their last year to prove their value or hit the road.  Some of these players may not even make the opening day roster

M. Lewis- Good blocking tight end that is paid way too much.  He has not been a solid or consistent target in the passing game

He's an extra tackle for our offensive line and probably the best blocking TE in the league.  I don't see him going anywhere.  Nobody pushing him.  His contract negotiations, if they decide to extend him, will be interesting though.

T. Alualu- This guy is like the invisible man when it's game day. He is little more than a body that "can hold the point of attack" Way overdrafted

Yes, he holds the point on the line and he does it averagely.  I don't blame him for being drafted where he was drafted.  As of now, he's the 2nd guy at his position and he'll be a backup this season.  If he's in a "prove it" year, there hasn't been much said about it except for on this forum.

J. Evans- Yes he is young but has looked flat out awful at times. I believe he is on the bubble.

Another year in the system may help him but I don't see how he'll be able to push for playing time.

C. Prosinski- I have no idea how he has remained on the team. The guy can't cover or tackle.

The only reason I believe he's still on the roster is because of special teams where he is an underrated player.  He does well there but that's about it.  I don't even think he's in a "prove it" year.  He's on the bubble and could be cut in camp.

D. Robinson- This is going to be his prove it year. He has to learn to hang on to the football and be productive.

He's not going anywhere.  He may even push Todman out by the end of the year if he's as improved as Gus is saying.

C. Henne- He had had both great and horrible games. Overall pretty average. Safe for this year but who knows next.

The sooner he's gone the better.  If Bortles comes along as I hope/think he will I wouldn't be surprised to see Henne cut as soon as Bortles is under center.  He's not in a "prove it" year.  He's in a "as soon as the other guy is ready, you're gone" year.

Roy Miller- Yes he was hurt last year but he needs to be productive to remain on this team

It's gonna be a crowd at that position hopefully.  We already had one guy cut because of the youth movement, he may be the next guy gone because of it.

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jaguarmvp" data-cid="225530" data-time="1402944028">
<div>
What players do you see as this being their last year to prove their value or hit the road.  Some of these players may not even make the opening day roster

M. Lewis- Good blocking tight end that is paid way too much.  He has not been a solid or consistent target in the passing game

He's an extra tackle for our offensive line and probably the best blocking TE in the league.  I don't see him going anywhere.  Nobody pushing him.  His contract negotiations, if they decide to extend him, will be interesting though.

T. Alualu- This guy is like the invisible man when it's game day. He is little more than a body that "can hold the point of attack" Way overdrafted

Yes, he holds the point on the line and he does it averagely.  I don't blame him for being drafted where he was drafted.  As of now, he's the 2nd guy at his position and he'll be a backup this season.  If he's in a "prove it" year, there hasn't been much said about it except for on this forum.

J. Evans- Yes he is young but has looked flat out awful at times. I believe he is on the bubble.

Another year in the system may help him but I don't see how he'll be able to push for playing time.

C. Prosinski- I have no idea how he has remained on the team. The guy can't cover or tackle.

The only reason I believe he's still on the roster is because of special teams where he is an underrated player.  He does well there but that's about it.  I don't even think he's in a "prove it" year.  He's on the bubble and could be cut in camp.

D. Robinson- This is going to be his prove it year. He has to learn to hang on to the football and be productive.

He's not going anywhere.  He may even push Todman out by the end of the year if he's as improved as Gus is saying.

C. Henne- He had had both great and horrible games. Overall pretty average. Safe for this year but who knows next.

The sooner he's gone the better.  If Bortles comes along as I hope/think he will I wouldn't be surprised to see Henne cut as soon as Bortles is under center.  He's not in a "prove it" year.  He's in a "as soon as the other guy is ready, you're gone" year.

Roy Miller- Yes he was hurt last year but he needs to be productive to remain on this team

It's gonna be a crowd at that position hopefully.  We already had one guy cut because of the youth movement, he may be the next guy gone because of it.

</div>
</blockquote>

Henne is paid like a backup, even if Bortles beats him out in camp he I doubt he's getting cut.

The only way he isn't a Jag for the next 2 years is if he drops to 3rd of the depth chart or someone trades for him.

Quote:Henne is paid like a backup, even if Bortles beats him out in camp he I doubt he's getting cut.

The only way he isn't a Jag for the next 2 years is if he drops to 3rd of the depth chart or someone trades for him.

Honestly, I think Henne gets cut when Bortles starts simply because there won't be a clamoring by the fans to go back to Henne if Bortles has a bad day.  It'll be an end to the transition period when Henne's not starting and him being cut will mark the start of the Bortles growth period.

Quote:Honestly, I think Henne gets cut when Bortles starts simply because there won't be a clamoring by the fans to go back to Henne if Bortles has a bad day.  It'll be an end to the transition period when Henne's not starting and him being cut will mark the start of the Bortles growth period.

Henne's not getting cut.

Quote:Honestly, I think Henne gets cut when Bortles starts simply because there won't be a clamoring by the fans to go back to Henne if Bortles has a bad day.  It'll be an end to the transition period when Henne's not starting and him being cut will mark the start of the Bortles growth period.

The topic is about players "on the bubble".  I'm pretty sure that Henne isn't anywhere close to being "on the bubble".  He has a role on this team, and once he's fulfilled that role it wouldn't shock me if he's retained for another couple of years as a backup.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.