Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
RIP Tony Gwynn

Breaking news on SI.com

More to come for sure.

Quote:San Diego Padres legend Tony Gwynn passes away at 54

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/#ixzz34oexBD5Y

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

ESPN link

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/110916...adres-died

Shame to see anyone pass so young. 

He was one of the best hitters that era of  baseball. (80's-90's). 

RIP

Wow!

Wasn't he doing Play By Play this season? This is a shock to me.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Wow!

Wasn't he doing Play By Play this season? This is a shock to me.

Not sure, but he started receiving treatments for the big C in March. 

Quote:Not sure, but he started receiving treatments for the big C in March. 

He has been going through treatments for a few years I think. This was the first year he wasn't on the bench at San Diego State. There was also an article yesterday where his son said he wasn't doing well. 

Gwynn himself stated it was likely because of smokeless tobacco use. Sad.

He struck out 434 times in 9,288 career at bats. Incredible. RIP.

This guy was such a phenomenal player and a true fan of the game. 

At an All Star game several years back in Boston, Ted Williams was brought out in a wheel chair.  Gwynn was more excited to see him there and to meet him than he was about the game itself.  It was great to watch him. What was even better is the microphones were picking up the conversation very faintly, and he and Williams were talking about batting techniques.  It was a hoot to see two of the best ever sharing tips. 

RIP

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:This guy was such a phenomenal player and a true fan of the game. 

At an All Star game several years back in Boston, Ted Williams was brought out in a wheel chair.  Gwynn was more excited to see him there and to meet him than he was about the game itself.  It was great to watch him. What was even better is the microphones were picking up the conversation very faintly, and he and Williams were talking about batting techniques.  It was a hoot to see two of the best ever sharing tips. 

RIP

I remember that All-Star game. Two greats, simply talking about a common passion, hitting a baseball.

Tony Gwynn was a pleasure to watch, and not only a great hitter, he was a great ambassador for the game of baseball

54, younger than me. It hardly seems possible.

RIP Tony Gwynn.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

One of the best hitters of all time in MLB history.

I get more and more ticked off thinking about how he could have broke Williams .400 average during 1994, but it never happened because of the strike.

I hate to say this, but I feel like he wasted a good majority of his career in San Diego, put him on the Giants, or Braves teams back then and he could have won a ring or two.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

My main memory of him was being angry that he was always beating out my favorite player (Andre Dawson) for the top vote getter for RF for the all star game. Sad to see him go; and far too soon.

Smokeless tobacco, so ingrained in the culture of baseball, was the apparent cause of his cancer. I hope in death he will save lives of those smokeless tobacco users who just got a glimpse of their future.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Smokeless tobacco, so ingrained in the culture of baseball, was the apparent cause of his cancer. I hope in death he will save lives of those smokeless tobacco users who just got a glimpse of their future.

And he's not the first. I remember Brett Butler getting throat cancer because of smokeless tobacco. He survived. Gwynn was not as lucky.

Quote:Smokeless tobacco, so ingrained in the culture of baseball, was the apparent cause of his cancer. I hope in death he will save lives of those smokeless tobacco users who just got a glimpse of their future.

I tried it when I was playing in HS.  Several of the guys on my team used Skoal.  I couldn't stand it, switched to sunflower seeds, and moved on. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Best pure hitter I ever watched and a really good guy. Sad to see him go. Sad

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.