Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Manziel

Quote:I was a huge supporter of the Jags drafting Manziel.. I was a big supporter of his playmaking ability and thought Id be able to put up with a little shananagans here and there.. But this is completely over the top and I'm EXTREMELY thankful that this organisation didn't even waste a single thought on this chump.. That said, I'm also extremely happy they the Jags didn't take Bridgewater either.. Very happy with Bortles and very excited for the future..

Same here.  I would have been fine with drafting Manziel, but now I feel like we dodged a bullet by not doing so.  We ended up with the guy who is doing everything he can to be a professional.  Manziel has the kind of issues that stem from a lack of maturity.  He already had enough question marks about how his game would translate to the NFL with his ad lib style of play vs. following a game plan.  This party boy mentality, especially in a blue collar town like Cleveland, will wear thin quickly, especially if he struggles on the field. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:When you know you're going to be under the microscope, you have to use a little common sense in how you conduct your personal affairs.  Manziel doesn't understand this. 

Oh, I think he understands it. I don't think he cares.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Same here. I would have been fine with drafting Manziel, but now I feel like we dodged a bullet by not doing so. We ended up with the guy who is doing everything he can to be a professional. Manziel has the kind of issues that stem from a lack of maturity. He already had enough question marks about how his game would translate to the NFL with his ad lib style of play vs. following a game plan. This party boy mentality, especially in a blue collar town like Cleveland, will wear thin quickly, especially if he struggles on the field.

Bullet or 16 inch USS Iowa cannon fire?
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:I don't think he's going to have a meltdown as much as I think he's going to be woefully ineffective with his playing style.

I can see it now.

Manziel struggles.

For the first time in his life, success is not coming easily.

After a while, fans grow impatient. At the clubs, not as many are glad handing him. Maybe a few will say something smart about his performance and him partying.

His coaches start pressuring him to tone things down. People in the local and national media begin to question his maturity and commitment to the game.

Manziel strikes a tone of defiance in a press conference and lashes out.

I can easily see this happening.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Oh, I think he understands it. I don't think he cares.

I agree with this. 

and...lets face it....it will only be a problem if they lose and he plays poorly. If they win and/ or he plays well, few will care how much he's partying it up. 

What I don't like about Manziel now is that he was completely dishonest in his combine and "off-season" interviews.

There's tape of Manziel saying how the off-field stuff was a distraction that was not needed, how he will be 100% focused on football at all times, etc.

Just watch Jon Gruden's QB Camp, the bit when he talks about distractions.

Johnny Football played and acted like a changed and maturing young man, one draftable #1 overall.

Luckily most GMs saw through his BS.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014, 10:21 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:What I don't like about Manziel now is that he was completely dishonest in his combine and "off-season" interviews.

There's tape of Manziel saying how the off-field stuff was a distraction that was not needed, how he will be 100% focused on football at all times, etc.

Johnny Football played and acted like a changed and maturing young man, one draftable #1 overall.

Luckily most GMs saw through his [BAD WORD REMOVED].

Agreed. 

Just another liar. As you said, at least most GM's saw through the facade. I have no respect for people that don't keep their word or just as bad - are deceitful.  I feel foolish for buying into his act pre-draft and supporting him to be drafted by us. 

Johnny Manziel: Vince Young part deux.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Agreed. 

Just another liar. As you said, at least most GM's saw through the facade. I have no respect for people that don't keep their word or just as bad - are deceitful.  I feel foolish for buying into his act pre-draft and supporting him to be drafted by us. 

Yeah, he had me fooled as well.

Luckily, the Jaguars had the time and resources to do their due diligence.

Being that rumors were that we had Carr and Garrapolo rated higher than Manziel - could it be that he (Manziel) was deemed "undraftable" or at the very best - just a day 2-3 pick?

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:What I don't like about Manziel now is that he was completely dishonest in his combine and "off-season" interviews.

How is that photo a "distraction"?

Do you really think his teammates care about that kind of stuff? I think those who want to see him fail find it a distraction. Everyone else will judge him by the results on the field. Just like how we'll judge Bortles or anyone else.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Oh, I think he understands it. I don't think he cares.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the argument is that:

How is that photo a "distraction"?

Do you really think his teammates care about that kind of stuff? I think those who want to see him fail find it a distraction. Everyone else will judge him by the results on the field. Just like how we'll judge Bortles or anyone else.

1)  The photo is representative of his life style and

2)  Said lifestyle does not suggest his #1 priority is success on the football field

Those on his team with the Justin Blackmon mentality won't care.  On the other hand, those who are serious about putting together a winning team will care about anything/anyone who gets in the way of that goal.  I certainly expect coaches/management will have concerns, especially as the QB is the default leader of the team.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:How is that photo a "distraction"?

I think the argument is:

1)  The photo is representative of his life style and

2)  Said lifestyle does not suggest his #1 priority is success on the football field

Those on his team with the Justin Blackmon mentality won't care. On the other hand, those who are serious about putting together a winning team will care about anything/anyone who gets in the way of that goal. I certainly expect coaches/management will have concerns, especially as the QB is the default leader of the team.

When Johnny Manziel proves he can't play, that's when we dodged a bullet, no sooner. But since there was seemingly no proof of interest to draft him in the first place we weren't even in the line of fire. Still amusing to me that people even flinch at a 20 year old getting drunk. This is routine for all ages and professions. At work they put on the work face, but when they get off they have fun.

Quote:When Johnny Manziel proves he can't play, that's when we dodged a bullet, no sooner. But since there was seemingly no proof of interest to draft him in the first place we weren't even in the line of fire. Still amusing to me that people even flinch at a 20 year old getting drunk. This is routine for all ages and professions. At work they put on the work face, but when they get off they have fun.
I'm not sure if you meant a 20 year old or a 21+ year old getting drunk.  There are HUGE, potentially criminal, implications for anyone who is drunk in the event of an accident.  This is especially true for minors and applies, not only to the individual, but to any and all who provided the alcohol and/or allowed the consumption thereof.

Do you equate having fun with getting drunk?

I never even thought of that.  Very true.

Quote:I'm not sure if you meant a 20 year old or a 21+ year old getting drunk.  There are HUGE, potentially criminal, implications for anyone who is drunk in the event of an accident.  This is especially true for minors and applies, not only to the individual, but to any and all who provided the alcohol and/or allowed the consumption thereof.

Do you equate having fun with getting drunk?

I have no idea what you are talking about.  He's going to get into a floating swan accident?  Let me put it another way. 

I am not delusional. :whistling:

Quote:I have no idea what you are talking about.  He's going to get into a floating swan accident?  Let me put it another way. 

I am not delusional. :whistling:

Here's the thing.....Manziel carried the "partyr" rep coming into this draft.....it was something that was a real issue regarding trying to convince teams that all that stuff was either in the past/ or overblown.....

well, ever since he got drafted, it seems that every image we are seeing about Manziel is him at some party, loaded.

It comes off as - I lied to get what I want, and now I got it, so now I don't care.

Quote:How is that photo a "distraction"?

I don't think his teammates care one way or the other.  It's not about that at all.  It's about a guy who said all the right things leading up to the draft about how hard he was going to work, and how his "Johnny Football" character was going to be put to rest.  If he's taking every opportunity he can during down time to find a party to crash, he's not showing the level of dedication you would expect from a first round draft pick at the QB position.

How many top tier QBs do you read about who are constantly partying with accompanying photos?

The guys who take it seriously spend the bulk of their time studying film, the playbook, and working with their receivers to refine their game.  Have you heard anything about Manziel being a student of the game?  I certainly haven't.  To be successful at the pro level, QBs have to be of that mindset if they want to be successful. 

If you look at what we're hearing about Bortles compared with Manziel, it's night and day.  Jed Fisch was just on with 1010XL, and he couldn't praise Bortles work ethic highly enough.  He said Blake is grinding, constantly trying to get better and to digest everything from the playbook to film to extra time working with his receivers.  We haven't seen pictures of him blowing off steam in his down time, partying with frat boys, or hanging in Vegas. 

Manziel already has an uphill battle ahead of him to prove himself as an NFL QB.  He's not doing anything right now that would indicate he recognizes this, or that he's buckled down to become the player the city of Cleveland is hoping he'll become. 

There's a whole lot of maturation that needs to happen there.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2014, 11:46 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I don't think his teammates care one way or the other.  It's not about that at all.  It's about a guy who said all the right things leading up to the draft about how hard he was going to work, and how his "Johnny Football" character was going to be put to rest.  If he's taking every opportunity he can during down time to find a party to crash, he's not showing the level of dedication you would expect from a first round draft pick at the QB position.

How many top tier QBs do you read about who are constantly partying with accompanying photos?

The guys who take it seriously spend the bulk of their time studying film, the playbook, and working with their receivers to refine their game.  Have you heard anything about Manziel being a student of the game?  I certainly haven't.  To be successful at the pro level, QBs have to be of that mindset if they want to be successful. 

If you look at what we're hearing about Bortles compared with Manziel, it's night and day.  Jed Fisch was just on with 1010XL, and he couldn't praise Bortles work ethic highly enough.  He said Blake is grinding, constantly trying to get better and to digest everything from the playbook to film to extra time working with his receivers.  We haven't seen pictures of him blowing off steam in his down time, partying with frat boys, or hanging in Vegas. 

Manziel already has an uphill battle ahead of him to prove himself as an NFL QB.  He's not doing anything right now that would indicate he recognizes this, or that he's buckled down to become the player the city of Cleveland is hoping he'll become. 

There's a whole lot of maturation that needs to happen there.

I think that last sentence sums it up well. 

The maturity level between Bortles and Manziel is like night and day. 

As is seemingly the character of each man, too.