Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Manziel

He is grinding.

He is working at it.

It matters to him.

He's working at it in ways you'd only dream of a player you picked at #3 doing.

He's showing amazing maturity.

He's learning the offense.

Those were quotes from the offensive coordinator today on 1010XL regarding Blake Bortles.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He is grinding.

He is working at it.

It matters to him.

Those were quotes from the offensive coordinator today on 1010XL regarding Blake Bortles.

LOL.....all of the above could be used in reference to Manziel as well....albeit in totally different/ opposite context's Laughing Laughing 

This is not unlike a soap opera.

The jags being the girl having to choose between the mature un-eventful/un-flashy guy that may wind up better partner in the longrun or the immature party animal stud who might break your heart

I'm not so sure Bortles will have the best career of the QBs drafted but I am sure he won't be a Leftwhich/Gabbert type bust either.

Quote:Here's the thing.....Manziel carried the "partyr" rep coming into this draft.....it was something that was a real issue regarding trying to convince teams that all that stuff was either in the past/ or overblown.....

well, ever since he got drafted, it seems that every image we are seeing about Manziel is him at some party, loaded.

It comes off as - I lied to get what I want, and now I got it, so now I don't care.

I can see this viewpoint.  But the way I see it, leading up to the draft he was just telling people what they wanted to hear.  This is pretty much standard.  This is why I don't pay close attention to what players say.  He may be a "partyr", but that doesn't mean (to me at least) he's not a good leader.  I think he is so confident in his ability that he thinks he can be a leader on the field and do what he wants otherwise.  As soon as people saw him do that money gesture at the draft, they should have known he'd be drunk swan driving sooner than later. 

Quote:I can see this viewpoint.  But the way I see it, leading up to the draft he was just telling people what they wanted to hear.  This is pretty much standard.  This is why I don't pay close attention to what players say.  He may be a "partyr", but that doesn't mean (to me at least) he's not a good leader.  I think he is so confident in his ability that he thinks he can be a leader on the field and do what he wants otherwise.  As soon as people saw him do that money gesture at the draft, they should have known he'd be drunk swan driving sooner than later. 

Of course they should have expected it, and they should have known he was just paying teams lip service in order to preserve his draft stock. 

He may be confident in his ability, but until he proves it on the field, he's just another potential QB bust for the Browns. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:LOL.....all of the above could be used in reference to Manziel as well....albeit in totally different/ opposite context's Laughing Laughing

Minus the maturity line.

Quote:He is grinding.

He is working at it.

It matters to him.

When everything is said and done, I have a feeling that Bortles is going to be the best pick the Jags ever made in franchise history.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

FWIW, here's Pettine's take...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ctivities/

But what else would you expect him to say publicly at this stage?

Why would the owner have to tell Manziel to "act like a backup?"

Manziel is going to pose some problems for Cleveland before all is said and done.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2014, 12:30 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:When everything is said and done, I have a feeling that Bortles is going to be the best pick the Jags ever made in franchise history.. 

That'd certainly be nice and I sure hope the above turns out correct. 

Thats also a very strong statement for a team that has Fred Taylor carrying that torch right now. 

Its going to be hard to top Fred. 

Quote:That'd certainly be nice and I sure hope the above turns out correct. 

Thats also a very strong statement for a team that has Fred Taylor carrying that torch right now. 

Extremely hard, but not impossible.. 

Quote:That'd certainly be nice and I sure hope the above turns out correct. 

There's always opportunity to crown a new "greatest player" for a franchise. 

So much of this reminds me what what said and written about Joe Namath - before he won Super Bowl III. Then it never came up again.

I think fans get all upset about all kinds of things. Good to see we have so many psychologists posting.

Also good to see Bortles crowned the greatest Jaguar ever. Without throwing the first pass! Cool.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:So much of this reminds me what what said and written about Joe Namath - before he won Super Bowl III. Then it never came up again.

I think fans get all upset about all kinds of things. Good to see we have so many psychologists posting.

Also good to see Bortles crowned the greatest Jaguar ever. Without throwing the first pass! Cool.

Do you ever post anything worth a damn? Everytime I read your crap, I wanna gouge out my own eyes..

Quote:Do you ever post anything worth a damn? Everytime I read your crap, I wanna gouge out my own eyes..

You aint much better. Just sayin...

Quote:You aint much better. Just sayin...

There big difference between him and myself is I don't look my nose down at people.. 

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2014, 05:27 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:So much of this reminds me what what said and written about Joe Namath - before he won Super Bowl III. Then it never came up again.

So why do YOU think he dropped from a possible top 5 pick to the 20s?

Why do YOU think so much attention has been paid to his off field exploits?

Why do YOU think he's had to explain so often that his priority is football?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

But Blackmon has the problem?

No one is safe.

Quote:I don't think it will be his playing style that will do him in. More likely it will be his lifestyle, he just doesn't seem like a guy whose focus is on football. If he were a student of the game he could learn to be a decent QB, as it is he seems more like he's interested in living the animal house lifestyle.

That was the point I was trying to lay out, I just did a poor job of it. I don't think Manziel is going to have the necessary tools to adapt himself and his game to the demands of the League. From my perspective, he's going to have to put in those "after hours" hours that mean you don't get to hit up Nickel Beer night every week.

I don't think Manziel is prepared, or even willing, to make that type of sacrifice.

Quote:I can see it now.

Manziel struggles.

For the first time in his life, success is not coming easily.

After a while, fans grow impatient. At the clubs, not as many are glad handing him. Maybe a few will say something smart about his performance and him partying.

His coaches start pressuring him to tone things down. People in the local and national media begin to question his maturity and commitment to the game.

Manziel strikes a tone of defiance in a press conference and lashes out.

I can easily see this happening.

He seems to have too much competitive drive to react like that, but I can really see him bristle if talk flies that he isn't "trying hard enough." One thing that I love about the guy is his competitive nature; you can tell that he loves the game and loves to do well. What happens when the game doesn't love him back?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:How is that photo a "distraction"?

Do you really think his teammates care about that kind of stuff?

Yes.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Has anyone here had to work with a drunk/ hungover person? It sucks. Of course his teammates care.