Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Manziel

Quote:Has anyone here had to work with a drunk/ hungover person? It sucks. Of course his teammates care.

I'm pretty sure he's not showing up for work drunk or hung over.  At least I hope not for his sake. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It just matters how he performs on the field. These pics could be overblown or the sign of issues. We just don't know. How many pics have popped up of him partying since being drafted? Considering that he can't get away with going to a party without pics going online I'm surprised there aren't more. Vegas and this? Any other pics?

Quote:Do you ever post anything worth a damn? Everytime I read your crap, I wanna gouge out my own eyes..

There, there, your Mommy will make it ok.

Aren't you late for Home Room?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2014, 08:51 AM by Adam2012.)

Quote:So why do YOU think he dropped from a possible top 5 pick to the 20s?

Why do YOU think so much attention has been paid to his off field exploits?

Why do YOU think he's had to explain so often that his priority is football?

What makes you think he was ever in any GMs top 5? His NFL liabilities have been well documented. He's your classic high risk/high reward type of QB. Most GMs a very risk averse. Cleveland, being Cleveland, felt like rolling the dice. By the way, do you think Bortles is a sure thing?

So much attention paid? The NFL is in the entertainment industry. Which needs stars; for better or worse, Manziel is a star. Yeah, I know, he's not done anything, but neither has Kim Kardashian, but she's a star also.

He has to explain stuff because he's asked stuff. Even though he won the Heisman (you know, for playing football) and had a great career in college. But, he's a star ...

Quote:I'm pretty sure he's not showing up for work drunk or hung over. At least I hope not for his sake.
I know this reply was directed at another poster..and I agree.

However, I think the issue lies with the vets on the team. I just can't see how this would sit well with the vets when 'some punk' (me using my veteran-speak) hasn't played a down of football, but continues to lead this kind of lifestyle in the public eye.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:What makes you think he was ever in any GMs top 5? His NFL liabilities have been well documented. He's your classic high risk/high reward type of QB. Most GMs a very risk averse. Cleveland, being Cleveland, felt like rolling the dice. By the way, do you think Bortles is a sure thing?

So much attention paid? The NFL is in the entertainment industry. Which needs stars; for better or worse, Manziel is a star. Yeah, I know, he's not done anything, but neither has Kim Kardashian, but she's a star also.

He has to explain stuff because he's asked stuff. Even though he won the Heisman (you know, for playing football) and had a great career in college. But, he's a star ...

So what are his NFL liabilities?  What makes him high risk?  Humor me, please.

Do I think Bortles is a sure thing?  Not at all.  But I find it interesting you did not assign the label of "high risk" to Bortles.  Perhaps it was done out of convenience.  Perhaps not.

As far as Karsashian is concerned, yes she's a star...but she's done quite a bit.  Scouts have plenty of tape on her.  Haven't you seen her "highlight reel?"  :teehee:  :woot:

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

To me he is having the same type of hype as Tim Tebow did when he was first drafted at the bottom of the 1st round by the Broncos.  The only difference is Manziel is the bad boy persona opposite of Tim, and of course Tim studied hard to go up the depth chart instead of partying.

I think the media needs to relax on the guy its not even PreSeason.

Quote:To me he is having the same type of hype as Tim Tebow did when he was first drafted at the bottom of the 1st round by the Broncos.  The only difference is Manziel is the bad boy persona opposite of Tim, and of course Tim studied hard to go up the depth chart instead of partying.

I think the media needs to relax on the guy its not even PreSeason.

Tebow probably should have partied more.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:He has to explain stuff because he's asked stuff. Even though he won the Heisman (you know, for playing football) and had a great career in college. But, he's a star ...

Tim Tebow also won the Heisman.

And Troy Smith, Matt Leinart, Jason White, and Chris Weinke.

It's fine to go out and party.  But you also have to show dedication to your work.  How often do you see Tom Brady and Peyton Manning out there partying like it's 1999?  How many of them had owners tell them to act like a backup?

Truth is, Manziel may have won a Heisman.  But he's done zero on the field in the NFL so far.  And he's shown no dedication to perfecting his art.  The Jags were smart to avoid him.  I don't think he'll be good in the NFL.  Not because he parties too much.  But because his talent will only get him so far, and that talent is about to meet up with more talent that is stronger and faster.  He's going to find that he can't do in the NFL what he did in college.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Tim Tebow also won the Heisman.

And Troy Smith, Matt Leinart, Jason White, and Chris Weinke.

It's fine to go out and party.  But you also have to show dedication to your work.  How often do you see Tom Brady and Peyton Manning out there partying like it's 1999?  How many of them had owners tell them to act like a backup?

Truth is, Manziel may have won a Heisman.  But he's done zero on the field in the NFL so far.  And he's shown no dedication to perfecting his art.  The Jags were smart to avoid him.  I don't think he'll be good in the NFL.  Not because he parties too much.  But because his talent will only get him so far, and that talent is about to meet up with more talent that is stronger and faster.  He's going to find that he can't do in the NFL what he did in college.  
Exactly.  Buckle down and do what is necessary as a rookie to prove you're worth the pick, and the partying can happen down the road. 

Quote:So what are his NFL liabilities?  What makes him high risk?  Humor me, please.

Do I think Bortles is a sure thing?  Not at all.  But I find it interesting you did not assign the label of "high risk" to Bortles.  Perhaps it was done out of convenience.  Perhaps not.

As far as Karsashian is concerned, yes she's a star...but she's done quite a bit.  Scouts have plenty of tape on her.  Haven't you seen her "highlight reel?"  :teehee:  :woot:

I think you misunderstood (or I misunderstood you). My remarks were about Manziel - the subject of the moment. He's the high reward/high risk guy. I was responding as to why he wasn't selected in the top five. Being risk averse, most GMs are leaning toward the high risk side. Cleveland is betting (hoping) for the high reward. 

Quote:I think you misunderstood (or I misunderstood you). My remarks were about Manziel - the subject of the moment. He's the high reward/high risk guy. I was responding as to why he wasn't selected in the top five. Being risk averse, most GMs are leaning toward the high risk side. Cleveland is betting (hoping) for the high reward.

Please see my opening line above re: Manziel.

Quote:Exactly.  Buckle down and do what is necessary as a rookie to prove you're worth the pick, and the partying can happen down the road. 

To be fair - I've read numerous comments by coaches and teammates indicating that Manziel works extremely hard at his craft, on the field and in the film room. And I've yet to read negative comments from former teammates, who now have no reason to praise him.

It just seems that so many people are emotionally invested in Manziel - in a negative way. Like his success is a referendum on the Correct Way. It won't bother me if he succeeds or fails, but it won't be because he didn't get to bed at 10:00 pm every night. I have no problem with the NFL having "characters". They make the game interesting. So many people seem to gripe about the No Fun League - well he's a guy who might add some fun (and I'm guessing his reputation is highly overrated). He has become the anti-Tebow.

Quote:Please see my opening line above re: Manziel.

So what are you asking? About his NFL liabilities? Have you been in a coma?

Ron Jaworski (for what it's worth) wouldn't select him in the first couple of rounds, and there has been about a million column inches about why he may fail in the NFL. People seem to be intrigued, but few GMs were willing to put their reputations on the line. Cleveland apparently didn't care. What can be said about he Browns front office that hasn't been said before?

Quote:So what are you asking? About his NFL liabilities? Have you been in a coma?

Ron Jaworski (for what it's worth) wouldn't select him in the first couple of rounds, and there has been about a million column inches about why he may fail in the NFL. People seem to be intrigued, but few GMs were willing to put their reputations on the line. Cleveland apparently didn't care. What can be said about he Browns front office that hasn't been said before?

No I haven't been in a coma.

I figured the obvious "humor me" request would get a discussion from you about his perceived liabilities, to see if you would include his off field exploits since you seem to minimize them and their potential impact on his career.

Undoubtedly, his off field stuff played a role in his drop to the 20's, in addition to concerns about his size, playing style, etc.

There is a reason the owner told Manziel to "act like a backup."

Quote:No I haven't been in a coma.

I figured the obvious "humor me" request would get a discussion from you about his perceived liabilities, to see if you would include his off field exploits since you seem to minimize them and their potential impact on his career.

Undoubtedly, his off field stuff played a role in his drop to the 20's, in addition to concerns about his size, playing style, etc.

There is a reason the owner told Manziel to "act like a backup."

"Undoubtedly"? Perhaps to you, but you have no idea as to what GMs were thinking.

The reason his owner told Manziel to act like a backup, and the reason they turned down Hard Knocks, is they don't want the Manziel Show to take over their training camp. As I said, he's the anti-Tebow.

And you seem to be one of those who thinks his success or failure Means Something. I don't.

For what it's worth, the NFL knows that some players, owners, coaches and others drink/party... that's why they offer the 800 number to call a taxi... what gets these people in trouble in the first place is not using their brains to call a taxi...

As for as him sliding down in the draft... I don't think it had as much to do with his parting as it did with his height, and style of play...

[url=http://home.comcast.net/~midimusic2006/mp3/sec/Tennessee__Rocky_Top.mp3][/url]</P><P>
;
 </P> <DIV class=b2></DIV>
;

Quote:"Undoubtedly"? Perhaps to you, but you have no idea as to what GMs were thinking.

The reason his owner told Manziel to act like a backup, and the reason they turned down Hard Knocks, is they don't want the Manziel Show to take over their training camp. As I said, he's the anti-Tebow.

And you seem to be one of those who thinks his success or failure Means Something. I don't.

I know several GMs for QB needy teams passed him up for some reasons.

Why don't the Browns "want the Manziel show to take over their training camp?". Think.

His success/failures mean nothing to me...other than been ng right/wrong in my predictions and how it affects the Jaguars.

Quote:For what it's worth, the NFL knows that some players, owners, coaches and others drink/party... that's why they offer the 800 number to call a taxi... what gets these people in trouble in the first place is not using their brains to call a taxi...

As for as him sliding down in the draft... I don't think it had as much to do with his parting as it did with his height, and style of play...

I think you're right about why he slid in the draft.  It wasn't about his partying lifestyle.  It had everything to do with the concerns about his height, and his unwillingness to learn and stick to the playbook. 

Maybe he pans out?  Odds of a player in his situation with his skill set says otherwise. 

Quote:I think you're right about why he slid in the draft.  It wasn't about his partying lifestyle.  It had everything to do with the concerns about his height, and his unwillingness to learn and stick to the playbook. 

Maybe he pans out?  Odds of a player in his situation with his skill set says otherwise.

How might his unwillingness to learn the playbook have manifest itself?

Partying, maybe?

I don't suggest his off field stuff is the ONLY reason he lasted as long as he did, or even the MAIN one, but I believe it to have been a factor.