Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
6 time Olympic gold medalist Amy Van Dyken Rouen suffers severed spine in ATV Accident

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Jeez, thats horrible!

Thoughts and prayers with her and the family. 

Wow...that's just awful to read!!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2014, 10:48 AM by rollerjag.)

I always hate reading about accidents like this. That they are already reporting that her spine is severed is particularly bad news, because the extent of an injury to the spinal cord is not often known so soon. There is some hope for more recovery than even 10 years ago, as there are now treatments that can be given to her within 48 hours of an injury to the cord that may help limit the growth of the scar tissue that inhibits regeneration of a proper spinal cord connection. It will be at least a month before she will have an idea of how much use of her body remains.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Very sad story.  ATV's always have scared me.

The last I read she was in good spirits.

Them things are super dangerous. I had a Honda 3 Wheeler with a power band that I rolled multiple times. Fun, but can be deadly..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Yeah, those 3 wheelers were particularly dangerous.  Knew a kid who rolled one coming out of a ditch years ago.  He got pinned underneath it and didn't survive. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

When I was 16, I had a friend who owned won. We were going up a hill and started tipping back. We were probably just a few inches from being severely injured or killed. 

As for Van Dyken, it just sounds like an awful injury. I am guessing her husband is the Rouen that punted for Denver.

Quote:When I was 16, I had a friend who owned won. We were going up a hill and started tipping back. We were probably just a few inches from being severely injured or killed. 

As for Van Dyken, it just sounds like an awful injury. I am guessing her husband is the Rouen that punted for Denver.

That would be her husband. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

That poor girl. In the prime of her life, too...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

Quote:This report doesn't document the extent of her injuries, but I just caught a report indicating it was a severed spine.  Thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family.

According to this article, she is already sitting up and in good spirits. Her spinal cord was severed at the 11th thoracic vertebrae. A complete T-11 lesion will leave her with complete use of her upper body, including arms and hands. That is huge for her future, as she will be able to be completely independent. I know that compared to her physical ability before the accident, this is terrible. And it is. But when you hear "severed spinal cord", it could have been much worse. Also, thanks to research like that done at the Miami Project, as well as her willingness to work hard, she may be one that recovers beyond all expectations.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]