Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2014 World Cup Discussion Thread

I think the true-second playoff is a nice idea but unlikely to happen.

FIFA won't want their showpiece final diluted by an extra match being played after it. And from the interviews I've read, the players and coaches don't feel the need for a third place match as it is.

Argentina are the runners-up, because like it or not, they reached the final. And we already know they are better than the third placed side because because they've beaten the third placed side (the Netherlands). That's probably enough, although I'm all for having more World Cup !

Can you imagine the Denver Broncos being told they have to play another match after losing the Super Bowl ?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I did a quick tally of European teams versus American teams in the knockout stage:

Euro won 5, lost 2 with 3 draws (winning only 1 PK series). Scored 16 goals, conceded 6 goals.

Make of that what you will.

I think you just have to say that the top two European sides (and you could add France and Belgium) are once again very good sides

Some big European nations (Spain, Portugal, Italy) failed to live up to expectations this time around, but the numbers in the knockout rounds were made up by surprise packages like Greece and Switzerland.

To be honest I thought only four European teams would make it through to the knockout stages, but it's always nice to be surprised !

And does the balance of power still rest with Europe ? I think the answer has to be "yes".

Quote:I think the true-second playoff is a nice idea but unlikely to happen.

FIFA won't want their showpiece final diluted by an extra match being played after it. And from the interviews I've read, the players and coaches don't feel the need for a third place match as it is.

Argentina are the runners-up, because like it or not, they reached the final. And we already know they are better than the third placed side because because they've beaten the third placed side (the Netherlands). That's probably enough, although I'm all for having more World Cup !

Can you imagine the Denver Broncos being told they have to play another match after losing the Super Bowl ?
No, it'll never happen, and nothing I'd push for. My only thinking was, competitively, if you're going to do a 3rd, you need a true second, that was all.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:I think you just have to say that the top two European sides (and you could add France and Belgium) are once again very good sides

Some big European nations (Spain, Portugal, Italy) failed to live up to expectations this time around, but the numbers in the knockout rounds were made up by surprise packages like Greece and Switzerland.

To be honest I thought only four European teams would make it through to the knockout stages, but it's always nice to be surprised !

And does the balance of power still rest with Europe ? I think the answer has to be "yes".
For sure.

;

Quote:No, it'll never happen, and nothing I'd push for. My only thinking was, competitively, if you're going to do a 3rd, you need a true second, that was all.

The Olympics offer their Silver Medals and Bronze Medals, which are a pretty big deal and pretty competitive, without what you call "a true second" system. You need to get in there and tell them they've been doing it all wrong.

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014, 03:59 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:The Olympics offer their Silver Medals and Bronze Medals, which are a pretty big deal and pretty competitive, without what you call "a true second" system. You need to get in there and tell them they've been doing it all wrong.
There are federations across the world who want a true second in place at the Olympics. The U.S. Senior Championships and Fila Junior World's do it.

And because you're comprehension seems to lack, it's not something I'd fight for, because like soccer, it'll never happen. IMO it only makes sense, competitively to do so.

;

Quote:It's called true second. It's done in many other tournaments. It finds the true 2nd place team. Why should the losers of the semis play for third if the ultimate goal is to only find the winner? If playing for third is important, then finding true second isn't bad at all. How do we know that Argentina is the 2nd best team in the tourney?

You keep saying many, but I've never heard of it.

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014, 05:03 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:There are federations across the world who want a true second in place at the Olympics. The U.S. Senior Championships and Fila Junior World's do it.

And because you're comprehension seems to lack, it's not something I'd fight for, because like soccer, it'll never happen. IMO it only makes sense, competitively to do so.

Many, many global and national tournaments (Olympics, World Cup, World University Games, etc.) disagree with you. I trust their ability to structure a tournament more than yours. Again, just because High School wrestling does something and it happens to be a sport you coach doesn't make their bracket structure flawless. If it was as perfect as you say it is, the Olympics and others would adopt it.

Why don't you think the Olympics uses a "true second" if it's such a perfect idea?

Quote:You keep saying many, but I've never heard of it.

By many, he means high school wrestling.

Quote:By many, he means high school wrestling.

I've been to many high school wrestling tournaments (not on the national level)....haven't seen it once.

Quote:I've been to many high school wrestling tournaments (not on the national level)....haven't seen it once.

The story continues to develop...

Moving on...

Where does USA go from here as a soccer-playing nation ? Will the national team continue to improve ? Can it continue to improve if it plays in concacaf ? And what has been the legacy for league football in the US ?

Quote:Moving on...

Where does USA go from here as a soccer-playing nation ? Will the national team continue to improve ? Can it continue to improve if it plays in concacaf ? And what has been the legacy for league football in the US ?
And can dem Duke boys finally stay out of trouble?

Thank god the boring [BLEEP] [BLEEP] is over with

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014, 09:24 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:Many, many global and national tournaments (Olympics, World Cup, World University Games, etc.) disagree with you. I trust their ability to structure a tournament more than yours. Again, just because High School wrestling does something and it happens to be a sport you coach doesn't make their bracket structure flawless. If it was as perfect as you say it is, the Olympics and others would adopt it.

Why don't you think the Olympics uses a "true second" if it's such a perfect idea?
Never have I said it was perfect. I said it was my opinion that competitively it makes sense. Nor did I ever say it was perfect. You sure have your panties in a wad over an opinion and make things up as you see fit.

Quote:You keep saying many, but I've never heard of it.
I said many once, and it was the wrong use of word for sure.

;

Jurgen has had a plan from day one and it has looked very effective thus far. He seems to have a very good grasp on what he wants, and how he wants to do it.

;

I think part of it is we'll see some of the USMNT players go overseas. Besler is in talks to move to EPL potentially. Also likely that Yedlin will play in either the EPL or Italy. 

Does the U.S. have any young, up-coming prodigies? I remember reading all about how Freddy Adu was going to be the United States savior in soccer, but that didn't go so well. Are there any other young guys with superstar potential?

Quote:Does the U.S. have any young, up-coming prodigies? I remember reading all about how Freddy Adu was going to be the United States savior in soccer, but that didn't go so well. Are there any other young guys with superstar potential?

There are a couple of kids (literally kids, 12-13 years old) playing in the Barcelona and Real Madrid academies.

(This post was last modified: 07-16-2014, 01:21 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:Does the U.S. have any young, up-coming prodigies? I remember reading all about how Freddy Adu was going to be the United States savior in soccer, but that didn't go so well. Are there any other young guys with superstar potential?
There are some good ones ready to roll that is for sure. Julian Green is the real deal. He's 19, and the reason that Donovan was not brought to Brazil. Not because Green is better right now but because I think that Klinsman was thinking toward Russia and 2018. I made a post on this a while back in this thread, Klinsman, I think was looking to the future as much as if not more then this WC. He got some young guys, including Brooks some of the WC exposure. Just so happened both made some big boy plays in their limited action.

Joe Corona is another name , Klinsman likes him a lot. Two guys who are 20 or 21 are Joe Gyau and Bobby Wood who are very good too.

;