Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Brazil's Stadiums Not Ready For World Cup, Still

The news has been on going for a few years now. Things were always behind schedule. Reports up to a month ago said the same thing. Unbelieveable to me that this is the case. Places like Brazil and Qatar just not fit to host events like this.

(Still hoping something comes of this Qatar thing and we can get the 2022 WC here, that would be awesome!)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dir...06088.html

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

How can they not be finished??? That's crazy!

And the World Cup in Qatar??? That's a recipe for disaster!! Most soccer playing countries are big fans of their booze!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

FIFA really dropped the ball by giving the World Cup to Qatar.

Quote:How can they not be finished??? That's crazy!

Third world corruption. Everyone involved in the process expects their take of all money spent. It's an ingrained practice.

Quote:Third world corruption. Everyone involved in the process expects their take of all money spent. It's an ingrained practice.

I don't think you have to necessarily be Third World to get that.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I think I found it! Time to join up!

http://y.ahoo.it/1oYjsfOE

;

Quote:Third world corruption. Everyone involved in the process expects their take of all money spent. It's an ingrained practice.

There is a lot more evidence of the corruption coming out about Qatar and how they got it.  I believe there's a chance it could actually be moved.

When a country like England is booted in the first round of voting, something is up.

Personally, I love the Qatar situation.  They are investing in stadiums and infrastructure that will ulimately support 1 months of soccer for 32 teams.  The temperature will be 110 degrees and dust will be flying.  While that all sounds morbid, the positive to come out of this is bringing modern era sports and communication to the middle east is a great thing for society as a whole.  Sometime in the next generation or 2 we're really going to see drastic changes with the younger middle eastern population befriending eastern & western cultures

Quote:Personally, I love the Qatar situation.  They are investing in stadiums and infrastructure that will ulimately support 1 months of soccer for 32 teams.  The temperature will be 110 degrees and dust will be flying.  While that all sounds morbid, the positive to come out of this is bringing modern era sports and communication to the middle east is a great thing for society as a whole.  Sometime in the next generation or 2 we're really going to see drastic changes with the younger middle eastern population befriending eastern & western cultures

I can agree with this point, but the number of deaths of people working on these stadiums is pretty high.  Deadspin has been following it pretty closely.....even the Qatar government reaches out to them disputing their numbers, but they have an association to back it up.

Qatar getting the World Cup is such a freaking joke. Thanks corrupt officials. Their team never even qualified for a single World Cup. 

Quote:Qatar getting the World Cup is such a freaking joke. Thanks corrupt officials. Their team never even qualified for a single World Cup. 
On top of that the country has about 2 million people. No way they fill stadiums. Better hope travel to Qatar from all the other counties is huge.

;

Quote:I don't think you have to necessarily be Third World to get that.

I mean to the point where there is little to no money left to do the job. I'm not talking about gouging labor and material prices, but outright theft. By the time any money makes it to the jobsite, politicians, company owners and upper tier management has skimmed so much off the top that there is nothing left. In Honduras one local told me that it wasn't unusual for a company to work a crew for two weeks and not pay them, then fire that crew and bring in another. I saw Range Rovers, BMWs, and even a brand new Aston Martin passing people riding burros. Corruption is rampant and openly flaunted. I'm sure Brazil is no different.

Quote:Qatar getting the World Cup is such a freaking joke. Thanks corrupt officials. Their team never even qualified for a single World Cup. 

And they're talking about having a dress code when they host too.

Quote:And they're talking about having a dress code when they host too.
110 degrees plus or minus 10 or so....I hope it is swim trunks for the men, and string bikinis for the ladies.

;

Quote:110 degrees plus or minus 10 or so....I hope it is swim trunks for the men, and string bikinis for the ladies.

Not exactly.

[Image: BooxCh6CMAAf6WY.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2014, 02:54 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:Not exactly.

[Image: BooxCh6CMAAf6WY.jpg]
Ha! Yes, I am sure this will go over well. I think when you bid for the WC, Olympics and global events like this you have to be accepting of other peoples cultures when they come to visit your country/city. Good Luck Qatar.

;

Soccer is by far the most corrupt sport in the world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/sports...w-bna&_r=1

Quote:Soccer is by far the most corrupt sport in the world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/sports...w-bna&_r=1
Basic combination of very high stakes, high revenue and massive popularity in low income countries where corruption is the norm instead of the exception.

Quote:Basic combination of very high stakes, high revenue and massive popularity in low income countries where corruption is the norm instead of the exception.

Yes, and until FIFA actually gives any hint of caring its going to keep happening. When corrupt officials continually are allowed to ref matches, there is no end in sight.