Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Question about Blake's arm strength

Question for the guys and girls that went to mini camp. I keep hearing that Blake throws ducks. Do you think it because of his mechanics or is it truly he has a average to below average arm?

Because watching him on film he does through wobblers sometimes, but he appear's to be pretty accurate. Just wanted to get first hand impressions

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014, 03:49 PM by bleedingteal.)

He's never thrown a tight spiral with much consistency. I think it has to do with mechanics but he has plenty of arm strength.

There were no ducks.  That's Ballou pouting that we didn't draft Bridgewater.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

If you notice, he has to put a little arc in his passes to get it from point A to point B versus Morris whos passes are on a line.

Quote:If you notice, he has to put a little arc in his passes to get it from point A to point B versus Morris whos passes are on a line.

I didn't notice and you can't make me!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:There were no ducks.  That's Ballou pouting that we didn't draft Bridgewater.

Your right on that one Tim was listening to Ballou on FRI and that what he was saying.

Ducks have nothing to do with arm strength and everything to do with mechanics. If he is throwing ducks it is because his throwing motion/grip/footwork are off, not because he has a weak arm.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Mechanics. Blake relies too much on his arm rather than really using his body to throw. Some guys with an elite arm can get away with that (Vick, Cutler), but not Blake. It's not bad enough that its Tebow-esque, but you do see the ball wobble. He was on-fire (for the most part) during his pro-day, but watching the highlights from camp, I see quite a few throws where he doesn't put his body into it and it wobbles.

Other times, you see the zip that you want from the throws.

I think its impossible to be that big and have a noodle arm.

Quote:If you notice, he has to put a little arc in his passes to get it from point A to point B versus Morris whos passes are on a line.

Putting touch on a pass vs. throwing a rocket doesn't indicate one has arm strength and the other has a cannon. 

Byron Leftwich threw everything on a rope, whether it was a 5 yard dump off, or a 40 yard bomb.  Receivers struggled to handle the heat.  Bortles has decent touch on his passes.  Somehow that is a bad thing?

Bortles was putting passes into pretty small windows on Friday, and he was putting plenty of zip on the passes to get it in there.  Morris may have a bigger arm because he throws a rope, but Bortles arm is plenty strong enough to make the passes he'll be asked to on Sundays.  Morris' biggest issue is that he has a big arm and an inconsistent ability to hit his targets. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Great pick of Marqise, Storm, Allen

https://twitter.com/TeamLee1

Quote:I think its impossible to be that big and have a noodle arm.

Matt Leinart?

If you notice, Morris passes are on a line from point A to point I-N-T.

[Image: tumblr_m6ek97g1jQ1ry10fwo1_400.gif]

This was the only thing i noticed but i credit that to different throwing and playing styles.

Morris did put a little more mustard on it but he was also all over the place with ball placement even when running the same thing over and over. Id rather have to teach a accurate guy to put a little more heat on passes through mechanics (Bortles) vs teaching a inaccurate guy to be accurate and not throw bullets all day ( Leftwich) assuming both prospects are on the same level mental wise.

I personally dont think its much of an issue and though i wasnt a fan of Bortles at UCF it wasnt for lack of arm strength.

He has an NFL arm.  It's average and there's nothing wrong with that.

I think Blake's going to be one of those guys that isn't going to wow anyone in practice but then a light goes on when it counts - at game time.  I think there's great potential for a LOT of interceptions during his 1st year ( which is why I'm on the fence about whether he should start this year - waiting until next year isn't going to make it look any prettier) but then I tell myself that Manning threw a TON of picks during his first year playing at the NFL level. I really hope he can learn to put a more zip on the ball. Need Frank Scelfo to work a little magic - all the pressure is on him as far as I'm concerned.

[Image: gif_im_color_dither_200_gif_300x100_76f40b.gif]

Quote:Mechanics. Blake relies too much on his arm rather than really using his body to throw. Some guys with an elite arm can get away with that (Vick, Cutler), but not Blake. It's not bad enough that its Tebow-esque, but you do see the ball wobble. He was on-fire (for the most part) during his pro-day, but watching the highlights from camp, I see quite a few throws where he doesn't put his body into it and it wobbles.

Other times, you see the zip that you want from the throws.
did you watch the last few throws of his pro day? He was throwing some deep bombs.

Quote:did you watch the last few throws of his pro day? He was throwing some deep bombs.

I did. Which is why I said he was "on fire" during his pro day (for the most part). His mechanics during his pro day was spot on, and you can really see the zip and velocity that he was able to put on the ball that day.

He didn't throw like that at UCF, and it looks like he's reverting back a bit to his habits from what i'm seeing on these camps. Keep in mind that I wasn't personally there, so I'm judging by a small sample of what they show on the video clip. But based on the clips online, there were a few that wobbled

Quote:I did. Which is why I said he was "on fire" during his pro day (for the most part). His mechanics during his pro day was spot on, and you can really see the zip and velocity that he was able to put on the ball that day.

He didn't throw like that at UCF, and it looks like he's reverting back a bit to his habits from what i'm seeing on these camps. Keep in mind that I wasn't personally there, so I'm judging by a small sample of what they show on the video clip. But based on the clips online, there were a few that wobbled

Anyone who attended has already told you there's not an issue with arm strength.  One person in the media, who was standing on the sideline directly in front of me on Friday used the term ducks, which couldn't be further from the truth, especially when you look at some of his deeper passes. 

What Ballou failed to mention as he was panning Bortles first practice was that he was dealing with a 15-20 mph cross wind with stronger gusts that was blowing across the practice field during the entire practice session.  What he conveniently determined were ducks were more than likely passes that were impacted by the wind.  Even still, none of them fluttered or gave the appearance of a lack of arm strength, particularly on the deeper passes he threw, overthrowing his receivers. 

Based on your video analysis, a pass that wobbles is not a duck.  Peyton Manning has made a career out of wobbly passes.  He's pretty good, isn't he? 

His arm strength is fine. So what if his passes wobble a bit sometimes as long as they're catchable.