Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Question about Blake's arm strength

Quote:His arm strength is fine. So what if his passes wobble a bit sometimes as long as they're catchable.

More importantly, they were on target and almost always on time.  This wobble thing is borderline ridiculous.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:His arm strength is fine. So what if his passes wobble a bit sometimes as long as they're catchable.

Some people like their passes to be real purty.

Manning throws wobblers too, quite often

Quote:I think its impossible to be that big and have a noodle arm.
Arm strength is about shoulder rotation, not muscle size.

Quote:Some people like their passes to be real purty.

And others just need things to nitpick.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Some people like their passes to be real purty.

I throw a purty pass. Maybe I should be a NFL QB

Quote:Anyone who attended has already told you there's not an issue with arm strength.  One person in the media, who was standing on the sideline directly in front of me on Friday used the term ducks, which couldn't be further from the truth, especially when you look at some of his deeper passes. 

What Ballou failed to mention as he was panning Bortles first practice was that he was dealing with a 15-20 mph cross wind with stronger gusts that was blowing across the practice field during the entire practice session.  What he conveniently determined were ducks were more than likely passes that were impacted by the wind.  Even still, none of them fluttered or gave the appearance of a lack of arm strength, particularly on the deeper passes he threw, overthrowing his receivers. 

Based on your video analysis, a pass that wobbles is not a duck.  Peyton Manning has made a career out of wobbly passes.  He's pretty good, isn't he? 

Sounds like you guys have a problem with reading and comprehension. Where did I say that he lacks arm strength?

Here's the specific question by the OP:

Do you think it because of his mechanics or is it truly he has a average to below average arm?

My response: Mechanics.

How difficult is that to understand?

I think it's pretty obvious that it's mechanics.  Even Bortles has admitted as much.  He knows this is an area that requires work.

Quote:I think it's pretty obvious that it's mechanics.  Even Bortles has admitted as much.  He knows this is an area that requires work.

Apparently not obvious enough, since the OP was asking about it. I provided a response...the correct one. Yet you see to jump on my throat. Sometimes posters here get their agenda ahead of their own reading comprehension.

I watched a video of Bill Walsh talk about throwing a nice soft catch-able ball to receivers. I've noticed sometimes that guys with the biggest arms are the least accurate.  

Tim was Ballou a Bridgewater Fan-boy? I know Frangie liked Manziel 

Quote:Tim was Ballou a Bridgewater Fan-boy? I know Frangie liked Manziel 

Yes, he was. 

Quote:Apparently not obvious enough, since the OP was asking about it. I provided a response...the correct one. Yet you see to jump on my throat. Sometimes posters here get their agenda ahead of their own reading comprehension.

I've found interviews going back to the combine where he agreed with the interviewer that he needed to work on his mechanics.  He's subsequently made similar comments since joining the Jaguars. 

Quote:And others just need things to nitpick.
Yep!!!!!!!

Quote:If you notice, Morris passes are on a line from point A to point I-N-T.

[Image: tumblr_m6ek97g1jQ1ry10fwo1_400.gif]

^ Peyton Manning throws wobbly passes too...
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Scelfo has had him for what... two days?  I'm lucky to get my car fixed in two days.  Let alone a quarterback.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

I'd say if there were any serious concerns about his arm strength, he wouldn't have been picked at #3.

In contrast, Gabbert threw a terrific spiral... the problem was where it went (if it was thrown at all.)

The ball has to be in the right place at the right time, and so far he's passed the test (albeit in underwear practice.)

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014, 06:06 PM by InmanRoshi.)

As mentioned above, it's basically a mechanic issue as he's going to have to work on his footwork, narrow his throwing base and learn to throw with his legs more to drive the ball instead of all torso torque and arm.     He's got the tall frame to get leverage on the ball , explosion numbers (vertical and broad jump) to indicate lower body strength, and hand size ... no reason his arm strength shouldn't be well above average when he gets big boy coaching. 

Did I read correctly that he didn't have a QB coach at UCF? 

I don't see one listed on their football staff on the UCF website.

If that's correct, and this kid did what he did at UCF without having the proper coaching coming from a position coach?  Imagine how good he could be with some actual coaching?

Quote:Did I read correctly that he didn't have a QB coach at UCF? 

I don't see one listed on their football staff on the UCF website.

If that's correct, and this kid did what he did at UCF without having the proper coaching coming from a position coach?  Imagine how good he could be with some actual coaching?

I think Charlie Taafe was his QB coach (and offensive Coordinator).  Someone can feel free to correct me though.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke.