Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade Shorts to Cleveland?

Quote:You guys do know we are going to run it a lot this year, right?  LOL

I think you're going to be extremely disappointed if you think that's what they plan to do.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Why can't you have rookie WR's at 1 and 2?  We aren't going to the playoffs this year anyways.  I'm telling you, we are going to run it a lot this season, then the passing will take over next year when Bortles, Lee and Robinson are no longer rookies, and the O-line is solidified.  

Why are you creating a position of need for no reason?

Injuries happen.  Lets say Lee sprains his ankle... out 4 weeks.

Now you wanna roll with Allen Robinson, a rookie, and Ace Sanders?  It's beyond [BLEEP].

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Why can't you have rookie WR's at 1 and 2?  We aren't going to the playoffs this year anyways.  I'm telling you, we are going to run it a lot this season, then the passing will take over next year when Bortles, Lee and Robinson are no longer rookies, and the O-line is solidified.  

i think caldwell said gerhart will get 12-16 touches a game. doesnt sound like running it a lot to me. henne will prob have close to 30 passing attempts a game. the offense will like be over 60% passing. youre either trolling or you just dont know much about football. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:I'd do the deal, but it would have to be conditional with the pick going to a 2nd rounder if Shorts performs at a level he appears able to do (800 yards 5 TDs, or something like that)

Yeah if it has the chance of becoming a 2nd rounder, I'd do it. But right now Cecil's value is higher than a 3rd rounder IMO. Its nice to fancy these new toys, but let's remember that WRs take time to adjust in the NFL. Robinson is still young too (i think he's just turning 21? or maybe he just turned 21). That's very young for a WR.

We need to get him resigned

Quote:Yeah if it has the chance of becoming a 2nd rounder, I'd do it. But right now Cecil's value is higher than a 3rd rounder IMO. Its nice to fancy these new toys, but let's remember that WRs take time to adjust in the NFL. Robinson is still young too (i think he's just turning 21? or maybe he just turned 21). That's very young for a WR.
He's 20.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:We need to get him resigned
Agreed.  This trade talk nonsense is just that.  The team has no veteran receivers on the roster if you trade him. 

Quote:What if the Browns are not done trying to acquire WR's and they offered us a 2015 3rd round pick for Cecil Shorts?

How would you all feel about it? Remember, Gene Smith drafted him, and they are jettisoning those guys quickly.

I believe Shorts will be a free agent after this year and might be gone anyways, since I expect Lee and Robinson to be better by year's end. He has been a little injury-prone, which are both reasons I believe we drafted two WR's so early.

We aren't a player away from the Super Bowl, and a 3rd round pick for next year might come in handy to continue to rebuild the O-line.

On the down side, it would be nice to have at least one proven vet WR to show the new-comers the ropes.

WR's would be:

1. Lee

2. Robinson

3. Sanders

4. Brown

5. Doss

6. Taylor or Hurns or pick up Greg Little

I'd do it for a two.

Quote:i think caldwell said gerhart will get 12-16 touches a game. doesnt sound like running it a lot to me. henne will prob have close to 30 passing attempts a game. the offense will like be over 60% passing. youre either trolling or you just dont know much about football. 
Not trolling.  A lot of passing this year just does not add up to me with the young WR's, Henne/rookie Bortles at QB, questionable O-line/pass protection.  

Sure Gerhart might get 12-16 touches, but Storm and Todman will get another 10-12 probably.

I might be wrong, but I honestly don't see us airing it out this year.  Like I said before, maybe next year that starts.

I would say no. He already performs better than your average third round pick.

Quote:I would say no. He already performs better than your average third round pick.

Bingo

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I think you're going to be extremely disappointed if you think that's what they plan to do.
Do you have inside info they are going to air it out this year, or just your gut feeling?  

Since when did Henne become a QB that can air it out?  You see them letting Bortles fling it all over the field when he takes over mid-season?  With this O-line and these in-experienced WR's?  Really?  

Please tell me why I'm going to be disappointed if I think they are going to run it a lot this year.

Quote:Do you have inside info they are going to air it out this year, or just your gut feeling?  

Since when did Henne become a QB that can air it out?  You see them letting Bortles fling it all over the field when he takes over mid-season?  With this O-line and these in-experienced WR's?  Really?  

Please tell me why I'm going to be disappointed if I think they are going to run it a lot this year.

They've said they were going to run a balanced offense but that it would tip more toward the passing game. 

Nobody ever said they were going to "air it out" offensively, but hey, use that hyperbole to build up an idiotic case for trading your only receiver with an actual track record.  The same receiver the team has already said they plan to re-sign.  Yeah, trade that away quickly because a message board GM thinks he's better off getting a 3rd round pick than having a player on the field.  Brilliant stuff.

i would think the rookies would have an easier time adjusting if Cecil were on the field receiving the most attention. if we don't at least have him, they will definitely struggle. you are correct, we won't be making the playoffs most likely. however, more veteran components to the offense gives us a greater chance at improving our record from last year.

Pretty sure that earlier Fisch said they'd aim for a 58/42 pass/run ratio this year.  He said the league average last year was 61/39.

Quote:Pretty sure that earlier Fisch said they'd aim for a 58/42 pass/run ratio this year.  He said the league average last year was 61/39.

Thank you!

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014, 06:52 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Shorts may not be worth a 1st round pick in a trade, but I feel like that's the only point Caldwell should trade Shorts away -- when a team offers more than he's worth.  

Cecil Shorts is one of those players who looks like he could have a spot on this team for a good while.  As long as he continues having the skills.  No need to get rid of one of the few positives that Gene Smith brought to the Jaguars.  Shorts has become a slightly recognizable name with the Jaguars -- something they've lacked (outside of MJD) for a while (though with Lee, Robinson, and Bortles, and maybe more, that will change).  He may not be a #1 receiver, but he's earned a shot to stick with the team for the long term.  Not his fault that the blind squirrel was able to find a nut.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Shorts may not be worth a 1st round pick in a trade, but I feel like that's the only point Caldwell should trade Shorts away -- when a team offers more than he's worth.  

Cecil Shorts is one of those players who looks like he could have a spot on this team for a good while.  As long as he continues having the skills.  No need to get rid of one of the few positives that Gene Smith brought to the Jaguars.  Shorts has become a slightly recognizable name with the Jaguars -- something they've lacked for a while.  He may not be a #1 receiver, but he's earned a shot to stick with the team for the long term.  Not his fault that the blind squirrel was able to find a nut.  

If some team is willing to pony up a first round pick?  I'll help him pack.  That won't happen.

No way.  Cecil is our best receiver until one of the young guys step up and prove otherwise.  Everyone was high on CS until late last year when he had the injuries and a case of the dropsies.  He's still a very talented player and if he can get back to form can be one of the better receivers in the division at least.  If someone wanted to trade a number one pick, then what the heck go for it, but that's not going to happen.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

TU was just reporting that they were already talking extension with his agent.

So...whatever.

I don't think there's much reason to move him