Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade Shorts to Cleveland?

No way. We have no idea how the rookies will adapt or start out. It's good to have depth. Drop someone else. Dumb idea....

GO JAGS!!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If Blackmon is reinstated. Trade him for a 2nd rd pick with potential to become a 1st rd pick if certain performance and playing time (meaning NOT getting kicked out of the league) goals are met.

Quote:If Blackmon is reinstated. Trade him for a 2nd rd pick with potential to become a 1st rd pick if certain performance and playing time (meaning NOT getting kicked out of the league) goals are met.
I would love for this scenario to occur - but I doubt any team would be willing to shell up a 2nd rounder for a player who is on his absolute last straw.

Quote:What if the Browns are not done trying to acquire WR's and they offered us a 2015 3rd round pick for Cecil Shorts?  

How would you all feel about it?  Remember, Gene Smith drafted him, and they are jettisoning those guys quickly.

I believe Shorts will be a free agent after this year and might be gone anyways, since I expect Lee and Robinson to be better by year's end.  He has been a little injury-prone, which are both reasons I believe we drafted two WR's so early.

We aren't a player away from the Super Bowl, and a 3rd round pick for next year might come in handy to continue to rebuild the O-line.

On the down side, it would be nice to have at least one proven vet WR to show the new-comers the ropes.

WR's would be:

1. Lee 

2. Robinson

3. Sanders

4. Brown

5. Doss

6. Taylor or Hurns or pick up Greg Little

I wouldn't trade him. No disrespect or anything, but I think that would be the most foolish move to make right now. As enticing as a third round pick sounds, especially it being a high pick given the Brown's track record, why would you want to give away your only proven WR? With Blackmon gone, and two rookies in the mix, Shorts is a great option for Henne or Bortles. He might be overrated a bit by the fanbase here, however, I personally don't see him as a true number one receiver or "great" receiver. But with that said, he's still viable and dependable, on and off the field. He would be a good example for these younger guys to follow.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I'd ship him off for a 3rd rounder and some change. I think he's worth that much.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Not a chance. Dumb.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Quote:I wouldn't trade him. No disrespect or anything, but I think that would be the most foolish move to make right now. As enticing as a third round pick sounds, especially it being a high pick given the Brown's track record, why would you want to give away your only proven WR? With Blackmon gone, and two rookies in the mix, Shorts is a great option for Henne or Bortles. He might be overrated a bit by the fanbase here, however, I personally don't see him as a true number one receiver or "great" receiver. But with that said, he's still viable and dependable, on and off the field. He would be a good example for these younger guys to follow.
Good reply.  Thanks for your input. It is nice to see that somebody can reply intelligently, not with unnecessary insult after insult (even if they are an "Administrator").

I think the overall feedback I got suggests most people wouldn't mind trading Cecil for a 2nd round pick (more than he is worth), and everybody would do it for a 1st round pick (way more than he is worth, never going to happen).

To the people that don't want to do it, I hear ya, and there are some good reasons not to do it.  But besides Blackmon not coming back, don't you think Caldwell took two WR's very early in the draft, and traded away picks to move up to get one of them, for a reason?  I don't think they have much confidence in Shorts staying healthy, or performing again to the level he did in 2012. Like I said previously, I think he already peaked, and I will be very surprised to see numbers close to 2012 again.  Plus, they have been getting rid of Gene Smith picks left and right, so if the opportunity to get something for Shorts presented itself, I thought maybe they would take a 3rd rounder (about his worth, IMO).  Sure they are saying all the right things where his contract is concerned, because of course they want him to stay happy, and not worry about it.  The real level of confidence they have in Shorts will be revealed by the length and $$$ of the contract.  We'll see....

As far as the run/pass ratio this season, that remains to be seen also.  They might start off trying to pass more, but with Henne and a questionable O-line, plus inexperienced WR's, I don't see it happening.  Could be wrong, but just my gut.

This never ends does it?  Why do you people want to trade one of our only proven decent players away when we don't know what else is going to happen?  We just picked #3 in the draft and you want to get rid of one of our proven commodities for a draft pick.  Stop it please.

Rather sign Shorts

Quote:What if the Browns are not done trying to acquire WR's and they offered us a 2015 3rd round pick for Cecil Shorts?  

How would you all feel about it?  Remember, Gene Smith drafted him, and they are jettisoning those guys quickly.

I believe Shorts will be a free agent after this year and might be gone anyways, since I expect Lee and Robinson to be better by year's end.  He has been a little injury-prone, which are both reasons I believe we drafted two WR's so early.

We aren't a player away from the Super Bowl, and a 3rd round pick for next year might come in handy to continue to rebuild the O-line.

On the down side, it would be nice to have at least one proven vet WR to show the new-comers the ropes.

WR's would be:

1. Lee 

2. Robinson

3. Sanders

4. Brown

5. Doss

6. Taylor or Hurns or pick up Greg Little
With a healthy Shorts on top of that list, we have one of the better receiving corps in the league. Without him its a n unknown.

Quote:This never ends does it?  Why do you people want to trade one of our only proven decent players away when we don't know what else is going to happen?  We just picked #3 in the draft and you want to get rid of one of our proven commodities for a draft pick.  Stop it please
I don't necessarily WANT to trade Shorts.  I just posed the question due to some past surprising moves by Caldwell concerning players he did not bring in.  I think his "veteran" presence will be worth a little something to the rookie WR's and whoever is lining up under Center this year.

The idea came to mind because of his pending contract negotiations.  If he wants a longer, more wealthy deal then they are willing to offer, there could be a problem.  Sure, Shorts had one nice year after seemingly being a bust his rookie year, but he has also been injury-prone.  Plus, like I said, they have been getting rid of Gene Smith picks and erasing that painful era from the fans' memories.   

Quote:I don't necessarily WANT to trade Shorts. I just posed the question due to some past surprising moves by Caldwell concerning players he did not bring in. I think his "veteran" presence will be worth a little something to the rookie WR's and whoever is lining up under Center this year.

The idea came to mind because of his pending contract negotiations. If he wants a longer, more wealthy deal then they are willing to offer, there could be a problem. Sure, Shorts had one nice year after seemingly being a bust his rookie year, but he has also been injury-prone. Plus, like I said, they have been getting rid of Gene Smith picks and erasing that painful era from the fans' memories.
Yet they are already trying to extend his contract. Your premise that they're getting rid of Smith's picks and erasing that era doesn't hold water in this case.

Shorts isn't going to break the bank.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Yet they are already trying to extend his contract. Your premise that they're getting rid of Smith's picks and erasing that era doesn't hold water in this case.

Shorts isn't going to break the bank.
The Grand Poobah has spoken....it must be so.

i would only even think about this if blackmon got reinstated having gone to rehab, made a public apology admitting he had a problem, and hired himself a 24-7 minder to look after him and slap him every time he looks at a beer for the next 2 yearrs

or 

if shorts turns round and says to us there is no way he is going to resign or asks for ridiculous money, we are not going to win anything this year so I would rather get some value for him than just loose him for nothing after the season

particularly as i feel we could possibly poach a 3rd rounder for him or at least a 4th

i do not see either of these situations happening. As far as I can tell shorts seems like a reasonable guy and seems to be happy here, added we are a team on the upswing that players want to be a part of.

The only way you can truly justify trading Shorts is if you know their is a 0% chance that they can resign him beyond this season. For me, the only acceptable trade otherwise is if you can somehow convince a team to give up a high quality, proven O-Line starter(not very likely), a 1st round draft pick(0% chance), or an O-Line player that may not be a top notch lineman, but ranks higher than one of our starting o-lineman plus a mid-to late round draft pick(again not likely.)

Quote:The only way you can truly justify trading Shorts is if you know their is a 0% chance that they can resign him beyond this season. For me, the only acceptable trade otherwise is if you can somehow convince a team to give up a high quality, proven O-Line starter(not very likely), a 1st round draft pick(0% chance), or an O-Line player that may not be a top notch lineman, but ranks higher than one of our starting o-lineman plus a mid-to late round draft pick(again not likely.)

Or a pick that Caldwell feels exceeds Shorts value as a player going forward.

That's the part you guys saying there's no way it could happen, or the contract talks are in progress are missing.

Every player has a value to his team. Most of the time another team won't pay enough to exceed that value, but if another team will exceed that value then it's a move that should be made.

Quote:I don't necessarily WANT to trade Shorts.  I just posed the question due to some past surprising moves by Caldwell concerning players he did not bring in.  I think his "veteran" presence will be worth a little something to the rookie WR's and whoever is lining up under Center this year.

The idea came to mind because of his pending contract negotiations.  If he wants a longer, more wealthy deal then they are willing to offer, there could be a problem.  Sure, Shorts had one nice year after seemingly being a bust his rookie year, but he has also been injury-prone.  Plus, like I said, they have been getting rid of Gene Smith picks and erasing that painful era from the fans' memories.   

Correction, they have been getting rid of Gene's BAD picks.  The problem is that there aren't many good ones to keep around.  The roster was purged because it was bad.  Not because he wanted to make the average fan happy by dumping the past GM's players.

Shorts was a project when he came in as a rookie.  He progressed his second year and got even better last year.  Concussion problems hindered him.  Now he's back to full go.  I'm saying that I don't think Caldwell would want to trade a known commodity, in the prime of their life, in peak health, when he's bringing around the new future at QB.  

I think Shorts gets extended to something around an $18 mil total contract.

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2014, 12:29 PM by jagabc6893.)

Quote:Correction, they have been getting rid of Gene's BAD picks.  The problem is that there aren't many good ones to keep around.  The roster was purged because it was bad.  Not because he wanted to make the average fan happy by dumping the past GM's players.

Shorts was a project when he came in as a rookie.  He progressed his second year and got even better last year.  Concussion problems hindered him.  Now he's back to full go.  I'm saying that I don't think Caldwell would want to trade a known commodity, in the prime of their life, in peak health, when he's bringing around the new future at QB.  

$18M for how many years?  6?  No way he should average over $3M a year.

I will guess a 4 year $12M deal.

Quote:Correction, they have been getting rid of Gene's BAD picks.  The problem is that there aren't many good ones to keep around.  The roster was purged because it was bad.  Not because he wanted to make the average fan happy by dumping the past GM's players.

Quote:$18M for how many years?  6?  No way he should average over $3M a year.

Right, there's no way he signs a 6 year contract for 3 million a year. He might do a contract for 3 or 4 years at that total contract value or something close to it.

I think it's reasonable to think $4-5 million per year is about right for Shorts.  3-4 year term. Plug in some incentives to see if you can squeeze a little more out of him.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]