Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade Shorts to Cleveland?

Quote:The Grand Poobah has spoken....it must be so.

What part of Caldwell saying they were talking to his agent about a contract extension is confusing you?

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:What part of Caldwell saying they were talking to his agent about a contract extension is confusing you?
What part about when I said I got the idea from the talk of his contract negotiations is confusing you?

I said IF the negotiations don't go well (coupled with the fact he is a Gene Smith pick, and a little injury-prone), and Shorts feels he is worth more than he actually is, then a trade might be a good idea so we can get something out of him instead of just releasing him or not signing him next year.

Now I know YOU didn't come up with the thought, so I understand in YOUR mind it must be wrong, but come on, don't be so transparent with that stance.

Quote:Right, there's no way he signs a 6 year contract for 3 million a year. He might do a contract for 3 or 4 years at that total contract value or something close to it.
It was a joke because I don't feel he should be paid any more than $3M per year.....thus $18M divided by 6 years = $3M per year. 

I making a joke when I said he would have to sign for 6 years (which won't happen) to get $18M. 

Maybe they overpay him since they couldn't spend the money on Alex Mack.  Who knows....

Quote:What part about when I said I got the idea from the talk of his contract negotiations is confusing you?

I said IF the negotiations don't go well (coupled with the fact he is a Gene Smith pick, and a little injury-prone), and Shorts feels he is worth more than he actually is, then a trade might be a good idea so we can get something out of him instead of just releasing him or not signing him next year.

Now I know YOU didn't come up with the thought, so I understand in YOUR mind it must be wrong, but come on, don't be so transparent with that stance.

what if cecil shorts actually has mutant powers that dont manifest until he hits the age of 30? what IF we trade him and he goes onto another team and becomes the greatest man to ever exist? what IF he is really made of skittles? i think we could probably get a 6th rounder for him unless you get rid of all the green ones. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:what if cecil shorts actually has mutant powers that dont manifest until he hits the age of 30? what IF we trade him and he goes onto another team and becomes the greatest man to ever exist? what IF he is really made of skittles? i think we could probably get a 6th rounder for him unless you get rid of all the green ones. 
You spout all that nonsense over one pretty realistic "IF" I put in the post?  Really?

Have another beer and take a nap already...

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2014, 05:30 PM by TrueFan.)

I love CS III.  He's a very exciting player.  He just needs to learn to keep his head down.  It's a common problem in the NFL - either the young guys hear footsteps and can't catch, or they pile in to situations that can get themselves killed to come away with it.  He's got great focus, and is a clutch player.  That's valuable stuff if you ask me.

Hopefully he's learned his lesson, and can stay healthy going forward.  ie:  (don't get hit in the head)

Quote:I said THIS YEAR we will run the ball a lot.

Henne or a Rookie QB at the helm, rookie WR's surrounding Shorts (who has peaked already IMO), questionable O-line/pass protection.

I can't see us lighting it up ....yet.  Maybe next year they will turn things loose.  

Did we suddenly warp back into the JDR days?

We chucked it around last year and we had worse players at almost every position. Henne/Gabbert at QB which is worse than Henne/Bortles by default, our receivers at the end of the year looked like a bunch of Jacksonville Sharks, Joeckel was out, etc

Sorry, but the days of us running the ball more than passing are over. That guy went to Denver.  

Let's trade away our one decent vet receiver while the new guys are learning.  Cool.

Huh

The team wants Shorts here.

Seems obvious.

Quote:The team wants Shorts here.

Seems obvious.

If you heard the interview on 1010xl the other day, Dave sounded almost snarky about the subject, saying he was talking to CS3's agent about if they want to do a deal now based off the last couple injury plagued seasons, or if they want to wait.

To me that sounds like Dave is trying to low ball the hell out of them.

Personally, I doubt any of you guys panning the trade CS3 idea would have been very supportive of a trade Monroe deal this time last year.

I honestly don't think it'd as crazy as everybody else. IMO I think Shorts is overrated- he's good but not great. I think he's one helmet - to - helmet collision from being retired. And I think he could have an inflated trade value due to our perceived QB woes- teams may think he'd excel with a good QB.

I'd deal him if you could get a third and another pick, or a second, personally.

Quote:If you heard the interview on 1010xl the other day, Dave sounded almost snarky about the subject, saying he was talking to CS3's agent about if they want to do a deal now based off the last couple injury plagued seasons, or if they want to wait.

Personally, I doubt any of you guys panning the trade CS3 idea would have been very supportive of a trade Monroe deal this time last year.

I honestly don't think it'd as crazy as everybody else. IMO I think Shorts is overrated- he's good but not great. I think he's one helmet - to - helmet collision from being retired. And I think he could have an inflated trade value due to our perceived QB woes- teams may think he'd excel with a good QB.

I'd deal him if you could get a third and another pick, or a second, personally.
A very clever assessment - and I completely agree about about the potential for a career-ending injury.  He's in a tricky spot, that's certain.

Quote:If you heard the interview on 1010xl the other day, Dave sounded almost snarky about the subject, saying he was talking to CS3's agent about if they want to do a deal now based off the last couple injury plagued seasons, or if they want to wait.

In order to be overrated, one must be rated at a certain level. How is he overrated? And by whom?

Quote:What if the Browns are not done trying to acquire WR's and they offered us a 2015 3rd round pick for Cecil Shorts?  

How would you all feel about it?  Remember, Gene Smith drafted him, and they are jettisoning those guys quickly.

I believe Shorts will be a free agent after this year and might be gone anyways, since I expect Lee and Robinson to be better by year's end.  He has been a little injury-prone, which are both reasons I believe we drafted two WR's so early.

We aren't a player away from the Super Bowl, and a 3rd round pick for next year might come in handy to continue to rebuild the O-line.

On the down side, it would be nice to have at least one proven vet WR to show the new-comers the ropes.

WR's would be:

1. Lee 

2. Robinson

3. Sanders

4. Brown

5. Doss

6. Taylor or Hurns or pick up Greg Little
no way a proven wr for an unproven 3rd is not a good trade

"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC

Quote:In order to be overrated, one must be rated at a certain level. How is he overrated? And by whom?

That's very deep, Confucius.

Better yet...is it the player that is overrated, or the rating that's over...playered...?

Quote:Because it'd be dumb to trade him for anything less. We don't need mid-round picks for next year right now. If it came to week 5 and he wasn't going to sign a contract (like Monroe) then sure, see what you can get but right now we need Shorts on this team.

You can't have rookie WRs at 1 and 2 so who becomes #1? Ace Sanders? Mike Brown?
you can have rookies at 1 and 2 if they light it up for1000+ and 750+ yard seasons. Not saying it's going to happen but it could I see Lee getting big chunks of yds and Robinson more of a redzone and 3rd down weapon.

"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC

Quote:what if cecil shorts actually has mutant powers that dont manifest until he hits the age of 30? what IF we trade him and he goes onto another team and becomes the greatest man to ever exist? what IF he is really made of skittles? i think we could probably get a 6th rounder for him unless you get rid of all the green ones. 

If he's really made of Skittles, then I think Marshawn Lynch will want to become a Jag.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

I do think Caldwell will move Shorts if he can't get him signed to what he thinks is a fair contract to the team.

If by week 4 or so it seems that we're not making any progress in contract negotiations, I could see him shipped for a mid-round pick.

Not saying I would want that to happen, but I do know that Caldwell will try hard to make sure he doesn't overpay for Shorts.

Shorts is good, but may be not good enough to go into a bidding war for, especially if our rookies develop nicely.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Not Today...

Not Tomorrow, and...

Next Week isn't looking good either...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:I do think Caldwell will move Shorts if he can't get him signed to what he thinks is a fair contract to the team.

If by week 4 or so it seems that we're not making any progress in contract negotiations, I could see him shipped for a mid-round pick.

Not saying I would want that to happen, but I do know that Caldwell will try hard to make sure he doesn't overpay for Shorts.

Shorts is good, but may be not good enough to go into a bidding war for, especially if our rookies develop nicely.

I think they'll have an extension hammered out before they get to training camp.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2014, 09:00 PM by jagabc6893.)

Exactly.  Who thought the "top 10 NFL left OT" Eugene Monroe was going to be traded last year?  Nobody.  And why was he traded if he was so good?  Because he was a Gene Smith pick, and we got a rookie to replace him, just like we have now drafted TWO rookie WR's.

People saying the trade would be "dumb", "stupid", "ridiculous" need a reality check.  Nothing Caldwell does would surprise me at this point.  And I think after the draft we can throw out the former notion that he does not create smoke-screens.  

Your assessment of Shorts being overrated and his injury-issues are both spot on.  He may get re-signed, but I don't think it will be a big deal, or very long.  And if Shorts is not happy, he won't be around long (i.e. MJD).