Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pressure Points reveals Jaguars grade on Bortles

They had him rated at a 6.9.

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...3f378cc12e

Grade scale

[Image: amzJjqQ.png]

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd say that's fair, but I already know that the Johnny Boozeball Brigade is going to swoop in and point to the 6.00-6.49 rating and insist that if Gabbert doesn't line up as the starter from snap one of this weekend's minicamp, he's a bust and we should've picked Boozeball.

Just a hunch. If there are even any Boozeball fanatics left.

Quote:They had him rated at a 6.9.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/Gillette-Pressure-Points-Episode-Eight/9cb37166-2dc1-4f5d-8d19-673f378cc12e'>http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/Gillette-Pressure-Points-Episode-Eight/9cb37166-2dc1-4f5d-8d19-673f378cc12e</a>

Grade scale

[Image: amzJjqQ.png]

While that is the number, do we know that the JAX organization uses the sane scale? Is the top of their scale 10 as well?
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

So basically...Pro Bowl caliber.

without knowing their scale its hard to say what that means. or maybe they are really hard on the prospects with their grades if they are using that 10 point scale.

Apples to oranges.

You're comparing the Jaguars grade, to the NFL.com grading scale.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Apples to oranges.

Quote:While that is the number, do we know that the JAX organization uses the sane scale? Is the top of their scale 10 as well?
It's the same thing in principle. The only difference is that usually it's an 8 point scale. No player ever gets rated higher than 8 basically.

How do you know the Jaguars don't use the same scale to grade players?

Dave definitely looked concerned that Houston might take Bortles.

Quote:Dave definitely looked concerned that Houston might take Bortles.

Remember at one point people were saying Bortles matches the new coach's description of an ideal quarterback and, as Penn State's coach, he  recruited a similar player. So many people believed it would make sense for the Texans to pick Bortles if they want to go quarterback first.

This.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:How do you know the Jaguars don't use the same scale to grade players?

Because NFL.com created their own scale to serve their own grades.

It was designed by themselves for themselves, so they could make their own board for fantasy draft, etc.

Why would you think the Jaguars use a scale NFL.com uses for fantasy drafts?

Do you have any evidence that they do?

We have the NFL.com scale.  However, we do not have the Jaguars scale available to us.  You cannot use someone else's scale to draw conclusions based on your own grade.  (NFL.com's grade was 6.2, btw.)

What we do have, is what Caldwell has told us.  Caldwell told us he would have drafted Bortles over Clowney if he had the choice.  That tells us all we need to know about how he felt about Bortles' grade.

Quote:Dave definitely looked concerned that Houston might take Bortles.

He's spoken a lot about this on the radio since the draft.  I get the feeling if Bortles was gone and there was no Clowney, we would have picked Watkins if there were no desirable trade offers.  Bortles was by far their guy, but I think Watkins was also on that short list if Bortles was gone.

Meh, the team has said enough publicly for me to draw my own conclusions about how they feel about Bortles, regardless of whatever number people say they pinned on him.

Seriously doubt they used that scale, as I would expect the guy they took 3rd overall and took to be their franchise QB would grade higher than "slightly above average" I'm with the poster above, it was probably a scale that only went to 8, in which case the 6.9 grade fits with where he was taken and the comments that were made in regards to him being the highest player on their entire board.
10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

We do not know the teams grading scale. So dont use that graphic as a reference

If you look at that grading scale, Bortles got about the highest grade he could have gotten (assuming that is the scale). Any higher and Caldwell wouldn't be talking about sitting him for a year.

Quote:Because NFL.com created their own scale to serve their own grades.

It was designed by themselves for themselves, so they could make their own board for fantasy draft, etc.

We have the NFL.com scale.  However, we do not have the Jaguars scale available to us.  You cannot use someone else's scale to draw conclusions based on your own grade.  (NFL.com's grade was 6.2, btw.)

What we do have, is what Caldwell has told us.  Caldwell told us he would have drafted Bortles over Clowney if he had the choice.  That tells us all we need to know about how he felt about Bortles' grade.
Incorrect. The 8 point scale is standard around the league.

Quote:Seriously doubt they used that scale, as I would expect the guy they took 3rd overall and took to be their franchise QB would grade higher than "slightly above average" I'm with the poster above, it was probably a scale that only went to 8, in which case the 6.9 grade fits with where he was taken and the comments that were made in regards to him being the highest player on their entire board.
how is probowl caliber slightly above average? At least read the scale. He's basically one point under all pro.

Quote:Because NFL.com created their own scale to serve their own grades.

Caldwell can say a whole lot of things, since Clowney would have never fallen to us in the first place. I don't believe they pass on Clowney and take Bortles if he's there.

Caldwell said the correct thing, he isn't about to do any down talking on Bortles. How would that look if Caldwell came out after the fact and said he'd take Clowney over Bortles if they were both there? It would not look good by any means.

We'll never truly know obviously, but in my opinion, I don't think they pass on Clowney if he was there.