Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Post draft questions

We've gone through the bulk of the offseason.  It's more than halfway over.

We've gotten rid of some players.

We've added free agents.

We've completed the draft.

Without having seen the new guys yet, what positions do you think we have upgraded?

By how much each position?

Is there now a position that can be considered a matchup advantage against opponents-either as a general rule or against a particular opponent?

Are there still positions of weakness remaining on the team?

Who is the most underrated addition to the team-either rookie or vet?

Has your view of our possible record this year changed since the schedule came out?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

My view on the teams record has been between 7-9 to 9-7. I anticipated them having a good draft so I factored that into my prediction somewhat.

Looking across the team, there aren't really any match up nightmares for other teams, except maybe Robinson/Lewis in the red zone thanks to their height.

Weaknesses? Probably pass defense. The FS position is up for grabs and Cyprien is still young, along with our corners. The pass rush is improved, I'd say it's about middle tier in the league at the moment.

Biggest improvements over the off season would have to be the O-Line, D-Line, and WR corps. The HB position was sort of re-tooled, but I'd say it's improved. There hasn't been much change in the LB corps, but I think Telvin Smith has a lot of potential.

My underrated addition is Chris Smith. 

I think a major weakness will continue to be speed on the defensive side of the ball.  Yes we've improved with Watson but to play the type of ball Gus prefers we aren't there yet.  Also, do we have enough pieces on the offensive line that work with the ZBS?  A lot of unproven contributors on offense as well. 

The biggest improvement is the addition of players who fit our scheme and the potential of rookies/additions.  Now we can get a more accurate idea if the scheme that Gus and Jedd want to run will work for the Jaguars.

On paper this team looks like a 180 overhaul and weaknesses are hard to spot. They'll be more clear once training camp hits and they start playing some preseason games. That actually feels great to say for once. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote: 

Without having seen the new guys yet, what positions do you think we have upgraded? Defensive line

Is there now a position that can be considered a matchup advantage against opponents-either as a general rule or against a particular opponent? Probably not one area but better roster overall

Are there still positions of weakness remaining on the team? Interior offensive line

Who is the most underrated addition to the team-either rookie or vet? Dekoda Watson

Has your view of our possible record this year changed since the schedule came out? About the same, around 6-10/7-9.

Quote:We've gone through the bulk of the offseason.  It's more than halfway over.

We've gotten rid of some players.

We've added free agents.

We've completed the draft.

Without having seen the new guys yet, what positions do you think we have upgraded?

By how much each position?

Is there now a position that can be considered a matchup advantage against opponents-either as a general rule or against a particular opponent?

Has your view of our possible record this year changed since the schedule came out?
I would say that a lot of it is based on hope and what we saw from college;

Blake Bortles has to be an improvement at the QB position if they (Dave & Gus) didnt think so they wouldnt have spent the 3rd overall pick in the draft on him.

In regards to our 2nd round picks Marqise Lee was supposed to be a high 1st rounder (Knee injury made him fall), and Allen Robinson is a solid 2/3rd WR it was known that the team needs WRs despite our high regards for Cecil, Ace & Brown this was the biggest increase in position talent.

In fact the team gets high grades in the draft because of drafting Lee so late in round 2.

Getting storm johnson RB is a bonus especially with Bortles though it helps to have a strong back in Toby too.

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2014, 01:41 PM by Deacon.)

Upgraded positions:

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Weakside DT - Added depth with Hood, a guy I like a lot

<p style="margin-left:40px;">LEO - Sheer numbers at the spot. Clemons, Watson, Smith. Someone is going to get cut off of the roster due to the additions. That makes me feel a bit better about that spot.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Linebacker - They threw a lot of talent at that position this year with the additions of Bradford, Watson and Smith. I have a feeling that the team wants LB to be the dominant position on the Defense.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Interior OL - Beadles and Linder are perceived to be upgrades. I think the interior is set for the time being

<p style="margin-left:40px;">WR - It's my opinion that the team added a lot of very good talent at this spot.

Matchup advantage positions:

<p style="margin-left:40px;">WR - I may be wrong on this, but teams are going to be very concerned about Lee's speed. I know that he didn't run very well at the Combine but look at some game tapes of him; the dude ain't slow. Defenses love speed because they fear it.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">LEO  - Clemons is key to this simply due to reputation. I think teams will worry about where he is and he stands to get a lot of rotation at the spot. I think the pass rush will be better next year, and you're going to think that I'm contradicting myself in my next answer.

Positions of weakness:

<p style="margin-left:40px;">LEO - Clemons is an upgrade over anything we've had here in quite some time, but he's not the long term answer. That makes the spot a weakness in my eyes. Branch needs to continue his progression and the team needs to find another strong presence there. Will that be C. Smith? Man, I hope so.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">NT - We have Roy Miller and I'm guessing the UDFA DT in Coleman at that spot. Really hoping that Coleman develops into a solid rotation guy.

Underrated addition:

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Lee - The guy was in the Heisman running as a WR. He posted a 1,700+ yard season in a pro style offense. I know that he had a rough time of it last year, but I think he is going to take the League by storm this season.

Schedule Prediction:

<p style="margin-left:40px;">N/A - I don't really do season predictions any longer, at least not this early. Let's see how the team looks in Training Camp.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I think still think Guard,Center,Tight End,Running back,Free Safety,Outside linebacker,Nose tackle and Quaterback are big question marks. I think Center,Tight End,Nose tackle and Leo will be top positions of need heading into next offseason. I'm really excited to see are New Wide receivers Lee/Robinson and Running backs Gerhart/Johnson.

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2014, 01:26 PM by David4499.)

That guy that thinks the Jaguars are winning 9 games needs to pour milk and not beer into their cereal...

The Jaguars have upgraded the WR position significantly, but will it be enough. The question still remains...Will Chad Henne be able to stand in the pocket long enough to deliver a ball that is "in the window" to the new receivers.

With the addition of Linder, the O-Line should be more consistent, not sure how long it will take them to gel pending the return of 2nd year lineman Joekel and the exit of veteran center, Brad Meester. 

I don't see any Jaguar players causing matchup problems for other teams. They are not talented enough across the board as of right now to demand double coverage.

One more question... Who is going to stop Clowney and Watt twice a year?... Gerhart can get one of them...but what about the other one...

An area of weakness that still needs to be addressed is the pass rush.. Are the Jaguars going to let opposing QB's stand in the pocket and deliver strike after strike on 3rd down this year..?

This years underrated addition would have to be undrafted free agent WR  A. Hurns.  This guy can make big catches and has the ability to stretch the field.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2014, 02:23 PM by huttops.)

Quote:That guy that thinks the Jaguars are winning 9 games needs to pour milk and not beer into their cereal...

The Jaguars have upgraded the WR position significantly, but will it be enough. The question still remains...Will Chad Henne be able to stand in the pocket long enough to deliver a ball that is "in the window" to the new receivers.

With the addition of Linder, the O-Line should be more consistent, not sure how long it will take them to gel pending the return of 2nd year lineman Joekel and the exit of veteran center, Brad Meester. 

I don't see any Jaguar players causing matchup problems for other teams. They are not talented enough across the board as of right now to demand double coverage.

One more question... Who is going to stop Clowney and Watt twice a year?... Gerhart can get one of them...but what about the other one...

An area of weakness that still needs to be addressed is the pass rush.. Are the Jaguars going to let opposing QB's stand in the pocket and deliver strike after strike on 3rd down this year..?

This years underrated addition would have to be undrafted free agent WR  A. Hurns.  This guy can make big catches and has the ability to stretch the field.

Couldnt agree more with a lot of this. I think another season of mediocrity is ahead for us- but I like how we are stocking the roster with talent. I think people are getting way ahead of themseleves expecting over 6 wins. Our division got a lot better too- and we simply have too many new/rookie pieces to expect them to perform as a good cohesive unit by week 1. I mean, are we really expecting Henne to throw for over 3000 yards and 20+ TD's or Gerhart to crack 1000 yards rushing? Without either of those, coupled with a lack of impact pass rushers, how can we expect to make a huge jump?

Our defense will force stops sure, but not turnovers. Our offense will gain yards- but it will be methodical. I dont see more than 6 wins, but if we reload with another solid draft- with some sort of emphasis on the pass rush, we are going to be nasty.

Quote:Couldnt agree more with a lot of this. I think another season of mediocrity is ahead for us- but I like how we are stocking the roster with talent. I think people are getting way ahead of themseleves expecting over 6 wins. Our division got a lot better too- and we simply have too many new/rookie pieces to expect them to perform as a good cohesive unit by week 1. I mean, are we really expecting Henne to throw for over 3000 yards and 20+ TD's or Gerhart to crack 1000 yards rushing? Without either of those, coupled with a lack of impact pass rushers, how can we expect to make a huge jump?

Our defense will force stops sure, but not turnovers. Our offense will gain yards- but it will be methodical. I dont see more than 6 wins, but if we reload with another solid draft- with some sort of emphasis on the pass rush, we are going to be nasty.

In what way has "our division got a lot better too"?

Quote:In what way has "our division got a lot better too"?

Houston, just like us had a monster draft. Addressed their two critical areas of need which will have a huge impact this upcoming season. OL, DL, Rush backers. They plugged two major holes with high (and extremely well done) picks at RG and DT. Two players I was very high on. Their line now has Nicks, and Watt, and a run stuffer in Crick. And their linebacking corps - Clowney, Reed, Cushing, and Merclius. Wow. Thats a really good front 7.

Their success depends on their offense, and a bit of stability is a huge plus for them. They have two dynamic playmakers who were not happy with Schaub. And they assembled a great coaching staff. Pound for pound, they match up to us very well- and maybe even have more overall talent than us RIGHT NOW.

--------------------

Tennessee- Didnt change much, but they have a nasty O line and an excellent RB tandem to hit the holes. Mccluster and Sankey are a great tandem. And can you imagine what they will be running behind. Lewan is a luxury for a line that already has Roos, got Oher, Warmack and Levitre. I think the backs will be in for a big season.

--------------------

Colts- Added some premium players this offseason.....Nicks, Arthur Jones, and D'Quell Jackson. Though they lost Bethea. Still even if they didnt improve much, this is a team that beat us by 20 and 34 last season.

Warmack was terrible last year.

Quote:Without having seen the new guys yet, what positions do you think we have upgraded?

I think all positions groups have been upgraded through either talent or experience.

WR after the bye.

The most glaring weakness to me is still interior line until it proves it is not. Depth along the line in general could be better, Bradfield being the only "plus" backup in my eyes. Free safety is probably one of the weaker areas as well, but given the lack of attention the front office seemed to pay there, hopefully some development was made.

I will say Ziggy Hood. He could possibly back up 3 positions on the line at a high level and help keep a lot of guys fresh.

I still feel like we're in that 7 win area, with less blowouts.

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2014, 03:26 PM by Shack Del Rio.)

Quote:Houston, just like us had a monster draft. Addressed their two critical areas of need which will have a huge impact this upcoming season. OL, DL, Rush backers. They plugged two major holes with high (and extremely well done) picks at RG and DT. Two players I was very high on. Their line now has Nicks, and Watt, and a run stuffer in Crick. And their linebacking corps - Clowney, Reed, Cushing, and Merclius. Wow. Thats a really good front 7.

Their success depends on their offense, and a bit of stability is a huge plus for them. They have two dynamic playmakers who were not happy with Schaub. And they assembled a great coaching staff. Pound for pound, they match up to us very well- and maybe even have more overall talent than us RIGHT NOW.

--------------------

Tennessee- Didnt change much, but they have a nasty O line and an excellent RB tandem to hit the holes. Mccluster and Sankey are a great tandem. And can you imagine what they will be running behind. Lewan is a luxury for a line that already has Roos, got Oher, Warmack and Levitre. I think the backs will be in for a big season.

--------------------

Colts- Added some premium players this offseason.....Nicks, Arthur Jones, and D'Quell Jackson. Though they lost Bethea. Still even if they didnt improve much, this is a team that beat us by 20 and 34 last season.

The Jaguars were 3-1 last year against Houston and Tennessee. You forgot to mention that Houston lost Ben Tate, Owen Daniels, Antonio Smith and Daniel Manning. And at QB, the basically swapped out Schaub for Fitzpatrick.

And what holes are Dexter McCluster hitting? He had 8 carries last year.

Quote:The Jaguars were 3-1 last year against Houston and Tennessee. You forgot to mention that Houston lost Ben Tate, Owen Daniels, Antonio Smith and Daniel Manning. And at QB, the basically swapped out Schaub for Fitzpatrick.

Maybe we disagree but Tate and Daniels weren't impact players and will easily be replaced. Its no surprise Tate isnt gonna win the starting gig in Cleveland, and that Daniels struggled to land a free agent deal. They have their replacements already, so I'm not expecting any dropoff. Smith had decent production, but again, its not a major loss.

Mccluster caught a ton of balls out of the backfield man. He's gonna be interesting to watch in space.

The team upgraded majorly in the draft, just like we did. My point is their picks probably have more of an immediate impact than ours, so the rosters are definitely competitive this upcoming season.

Quote:The Jaguars were 3-1 last year against Houston and Tennessee. You forgot to mention that Houston lost Ben Tate, Owen Daniels, Antonio Smith and Daniel Manning. And at QB, the basically swapped out Schaub for Fitzpatrick.

Maybe we disagree but Tate and Daniels weren't impact players and will easily be replaced. Its no surprise Tate isnt gonna win the starting gig in Cleveland, and that Daniels struggled to land a free agent deal. They have their replacements already, so I'm not expecting any dropoff. Smith had decent production, but again, its not a major loss.

Mccluster caught a ton of balls out of the backfield man. He's gonna be interesting to watch in space.

The team upgraded majorly in the draft, just like we did. My point is their picks probably have more of an immediate impact than ours, so the rosters are definitely competitive this upcoming season.

I think our defense should be able to keep it close with our DBs stepping up and DL being more stout and rotational. Our offense won't take off til 2015

Who is Tennesse's quarterback this year anyway? Jake Locker or Charlie Whitehurst?

The defense will be better if the offense can keep the ball and score some points. The offense will be better if the defense can get off the field on 3rd down.

6 and 10.

Needs next offseason: TE, C, OLB, S

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato