Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Yankees are retiring # 6

Congratulations, Joe. I'm not a Yankees fan, but recognize their place in baseball history as the preeminent franchise. This is quite an honor.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Joe Torre was the right man in the right place at the right time.

Much deserved for the run of success he managed for the Yankees. 

I remember meeting him when I was a kid.  He did an autograph signing along with Pee Wee Reese and Phil Rizzuto at an optometrist's office that was next door to my grandfather's law practice.  My grandfather got us in for autographs.  It was the year Torre was player/manager for the Mets (1977).  My brothers, my cousins and I were allowed in before the signing.  Torre was the most generous of the three.  He took the time to talk to us, asked us questions about where we played ball, and what positions we played.   He actually signed my catchers mitt and gave me a few tips about playing the position.  He had a good laugh when I told him I was a Thurman Munson fan. 

I still have the autographed mitt, and the ball signed by all 3 hall of famers.  That was the 2nd greatest sports encounter for me, which interestingly enough came during the same vacation as my greatest sports encounter.

My grandfather had connections inside the Yankees organization.  He'd done some tax work for someone with the team.  He cooked up a deal to get me and my cousin into the stadium to meet the team.  We both went in with baseballs ready for autographing.  We ended up meeting almost all of the 77 Yankees.  I got autographs from most of the starters on the team.  The only one I wasn't able to get was Chris Chambliss.  He was off that day.

My cousin, a lifelong Mets fan, lost his autographed baseball in a move a few years back.  Every time I see him, he offers me progressively more money for the ball.  He's a huge collector now.

My grandfather was an old Brooklyn Dodgers fan, so when they moved, he naturally hated the Dodgers, and he couldn't root for the Yankees.  When the Mets arrived, he quickly became a fan and a season ticket holder.  A guy who rented an office in his building was a Yankees season ticket holder.  When we'd come up for 2 weeks during the summer, many a day was spent at Shea or Yankee Stadium.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2014, 03:38 PM by Deacon.)

I always liked Joe and I could never figure out how the dugout dynamic could work with Cool Joe and Paul O'neill in it. Just seemed like it would never work.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

As a player and manager, Joe Torre was all class. I always admired how he handled his relationship with George Steinbrenner.

He joins a remarkable list of names on the Yankee retired number list.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I always liked Joe and I could never figure out how the dugout dynamic could work with Cool Joe and Paul O'neill in it. Just seemed like it would never work.

He had the perfect demeanor to deal with all of the egos on i the dugout, and in the front office.  It was a pretty amazing ability.  The guy was steady as a rock throughout his managerial career, and as a player.

I remember thinking he was just a really nice guy when we had the opportunity to meet him.  When he asked me who my favorite player was, and I told him Munson, he laughed and said he wouldn't hold that against me.

When the Yankees hired him to take over for Showalter, I really wondered how he'd be able to handle Steinbrenner and his antics, but it seemed like he almost calmed the old man down.  I guess he trusted his judgment.  Those were some good times for Yankees fans. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!