Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Johnathan Cyprien

Found an article from PFF from this morning refocusing on Cyprien's rookie year.  Pretty much what I thought.  Here's to hoping he can continue to improve to be a permanent fixture at the position.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...n-cyprien/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2014, 09:06 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Seattle got a similar player in the 5th round a few years ago.

I never did like the Cyprien selection at 33. 

SS that aren't of Polamalu's ability don't have to be selected as high as we took Cyprien. 

Quote:Seattle got a similar player in the 5th round a few years ago.

SS that aren't of Polamalu's ability don't have to be selected as high as we took Cyprien. 

And if the draft was to be done over both Chancellor and Cyp would most likely be 1st selections.

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

One thing to note in the highlights they showed:

Every bad play was with Cyp in the single high safety spot and all but one of the good ones were in the box plays where he was closer to the LOS much like Kam Chancellor. I think they wanted to see if the could handle the lone safety responsibility and thats not his strength much like it isnt for Chancellor and even Polamalu who never was good at handling the deep safety stuff. His only deep play on the good list was him in cover 2 for the browns game INT and that is cover 2 not 3 where he would be the lone safety.

Cyp much like Polamalu and Kam are box SS's that work best in the traffic near and just behind the front 7 as lurkers waiting for an opening. Either that or in cover 2 with help underneath. They just dont play that single high spot well and we on this board have talked about still needing that rangy FS to complete the secondary.

Donovin Darius was just like this.

Cyprien could be a good starter for us, but he isn't Chancellor.  Killer Kam is a beast the size of a linebacker playing safety.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2014, 09:41 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote: 

And if the draft was to be done over both Chancellor and Cyp would most likely be 1st selections.

Point is you can find Box Safeties and good ones, later in the draft. The only reason why a team should EVER select a SS as high as we took Cyprien (or higher) is if they project to the type of player that Polamalu is. 

Otherwise its a waste. 

I also totally disagree that Cyprien would be a first rounder in a redo. Why would he be. Not sure what impressed you so much last season. 

Quote:Cyprien could be a good starter for us, but he isn't Chancellor.  Killer Kam is a beast the size of a linebacker playing safety.

Most SS, Punters, Kickers, OG, and blocking TE can all be got with 5th round or later selections. ALways. 

cyp is 3 inches shorter and only about 15lbs lighter. He is every bit athletic as kam and plays the same type of game. He played one season so far, showing a lot of promise. He should be given the benefit of the doubt and at least another couple seasons before he is judged on how good he will be.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I have high expectations for Cyp this upcoming season. I think he can develop into a big game-changer for the defense.

Quote: 

Most SS, Punters, Kickers, OG, and blocking TE can all be got with 5th round or later selections. ALways. 
except niklas

Quote:except niklas

Niklas will not just be a "blocking TE" in he pro's. 

He'll be closer to Jason Witten. 

Quote:Point is you can find Box Safeties and good ones, later in the draft. The only reason why a team should EVER select a SS as high as we took Cyprien (or higher) is if they project to the type of player that Polamalu is. 

Otherwise its a waste. 

You'll be waiting a long time to find a player that will stick if thats the case.  late round picks rarely have staying power

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Cyprien has elite athletic talent. Gus will mold him into an asset for the team. I don't know that he'll ever be a great coverage guy, but his problems as a rookie I think were mostly due to seasoning. As his career progresses he'll get better at recognition and keeping correct leverage and spacing.

Dude why do you have to be so negative TMD ? That's not a healthy out look man

Quote:Point is you can find Box Safeties and good ones, later in the draft. The only reason why a team should EVER select a SS as high as we took Cyprien (or higher) is if they project to the type of player that Polamalu is. 

Otherwise its a waste. 

I also totally disagree that Cyprien would be a first rounder in a redo. Why would he be. Not sure what impressed you so much last season. 

Strong safeties are just like punters.

A take so hot, I need sunglasses and oven mitts.

Don't draft any position in the first round...ever

;

;

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2014, 12:31 PM by Bon Jagley.)

Quote:Not sure what impressed you so much last season. 

How about this. Read the article in the OP and tell us what you disagree with.

;

;

He's going to be a fan favorite.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Literally have zero care of what TMD has to say. Cyp is going to be a stud and a valuable part of our team going forward. Guy is filled with athletic ability and heart and improved each game after missing preseason.
Shock the world

Otherwise its a waste. 

LOL.  

Probably maybe? 

Quote:LOL.  

Probably maybe? 

Yogi Berra would be proud.