Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Whats up with Jason Heyward? (for Braves/ baseball fans)

What do some of you blame for Heyward's lack of panning out as a prospect so far? 

Back in 2010 he was considered the #1 prospect in all of MLB. But he's certainly not made the kind of impact that other great prospects like Trout and Mike Stanton have made. 

Could it be that he was pretty much rushed through AA & AAA after given more time at A-ball? 

Currently he's batting below .200 and has really only had one half decent year a few years back where he was a 20-20 player; i.e. 27 HR and 21 SB's. while hitting .270-ish. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

notorious slow starter.  I am hoping he starts getting hot pretty soon.  He is actually hitting a lot better than he was.  But that isn't saying much. 

Definitely needs to step it up. 

Still holding out hope for Heyward.

I don't feel the need to blame anything or anyone - but injuries have obviously played a role.

Quote:Still holding out hope for Heyward.

I don't feel the need to blame anything or anyone - but injuries have obviously played a role.

Injuries to some extent, especially in past few years....

However, he's allegedly healthy right now and batting below the Mendoza. 

I've blamed injuries in the past, and he hasn't been the same since taking one on the jaw. That was very unfortunate timing, as he was on one of the hottest streaks of his career when that happened.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I've blamed injuries in the past, and he hasn't been the same since taking one on the jaw. That was very unfortunate timing, as he was on one of the hottest streaks of his career when that happened.

I've done some reading up on Heyward since asking the question, and a few writers think his swing is too long and has a hole in it for inside strikes. He can't get the bat around fast enough. 

He has always struggled in the beginning of the season, but his mechanics look worse than ever this season, plus the recent injuries dosent help.

Not to derail the thread, but I love how the Tomahawk Flop claimed the Fish were stealing signs.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/0...-in-miami/

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:I've done some reading up on Heyward since asking the question, and a few writers think his swing is too long and has a hole in it for inside strikes. He can't get the bat around fast enough. 

That's a valid point, and I tend to agree. He does get pitched inside effectively.

- Bob Marley

Quote:That's a valid point, and I tend to agree. He does get pitched inside effectively.

I'm guessing if we know this, then hopefully they have tried or still try to work with him to become better at hitting those sort of pitches. 

He is starting to hit a lot better. 

Now at .226

Still needs to be better, but it is a lot better than .141 which is what he was hitting earlier this season.

He was great last year in the leadoff position which is why he is there now.  But as others have stated, starting off slow.  

He has picked it up here the last few games.  7-17 last 4 games.  hopefully that will continue.

I'm not crazy about him in the one hole either. I just want someone besides Chris Johnson to hit for average. Everyone is a damn power hitter and it makes for feast or famine. Never going to do anything in the playoffs until the Braves get some hitters in there, IMO.

Quote:I'm not crazy about him in the one hole either. I just want someone besides Chris Johnson to hit for average. Everyone is a damn power hitter and it makes for feast or famine. Never going to do anything in the playoffs until the Braves get some hitters in there, IMO.

BJ Upton is useless. 

Quote:BJ Upton is useless. 
Believe it or not, I think he is on a 6 or 7 game hitting streak. 

But, he has only had one hit in each of those games. 

Quote:BJ Upton is useless.

He is slightly better than useless, but I see your point. I wouldn't mind trying to ship out Str-Uggla TBH. I'm sick of watching him swing for the fences every time he gets up to the plate only to strikeout. He's really not that good defensively.

Quote:He is slightly better than useless, but I see your point. I wouldn't mind trying to ship out Str-Uggla TBH. I'm sick of watching him swing for the fences every time he gets up to the plate only to strikeout. He's really not that good defensively.

Upton and Uggla I'd put in the same boat. You can't carry everyday players that have batting averages as low as these 2 consistently have. They will kill your lineup. 

That BJ Upton deal might go down as one of the worst of all time. 

Quote:I've done some reading up on Heyward since asking the question, and a few writers think his swing is too long and has a hole in it for inside strikes. He can't get the bat around fast enough. 
Big Papi was the same way for the first several years of his career.  He shortened his swing and now he destroys low and inside pitches.  I'd love to see Heyward figure that out.  

Quote:Big Papi was the same way for the first several years of his career.  He shortened his swing and now he destroys low and inside pitches.  I'd love to see Heyward figure that out.  

AT one point Heyward was THE #1 prospect in all of baseball...if someone is going to be given the benefit of the doubt to turn it around, I'd give it to him. 

I've been paying closer attention to Jason the past few days, and it does appear that he's changed his swing slightly, holding his hands a little higher and closer to his body than before. Perhaps this explains his recent improvement.

- Bob Marley

Hayward faces a tough lefty today, so I'm not expecting a great day at the dish.