Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Whats up with Jason Heyward? (for Braves/ baseball fans)

He's got all the talent in the world, but I don't see him ever putting it all together.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He's got all the talent in the world, but I don't see him ever putting it all together.

reason?

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2014, 05:37 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:reason?

He can't hit lefties and he's too inconsistent. The guy is a beast of an athlete, but he is one of the most awkward hitters in baseball. I don't think he is a bad player, he just won't live up to the 2nd coming of Griffey hype he had.

FWIW, I follow college basketball and the MLB more than any other sport. Not that it makes me an expert or anything, but I spend a lot more time reading Fangraphs than I should.

Regarding the "He was a top prospect" point:

Sure, I think he can be given the benefit of the doubt. He's got the tools, what I'm saying, so the potential is there. It is common for top hitting prospects to become good, not great, players than it is for them to become superstars.

Guys like Jesus Montero, Alex Gordon, Matt Wieters, Colby Rasmus, Delmon Young, etc. were all elite hitting prospects that will never be superstars.

Quote:Regarding the "He was a top prospect" point:

Sure, I think he can be given the benefit of the doubt. He's got the tools, what I'm saying, so the potential is there. It is common for top hitting prospects to become good, not great, players than it is for them to become superstars.

Guys like Jesus Montero, Alex Gordon, Matt Wieters, Colby Rasmus, Delmon Young, etc. were all elite hitting prospects that will never be superstars.

Delmon Young is perhaps the worst outfielder I have ever seen. 

Regarding Jesus Montero and Gordon, They are hardly the only KC & Seattle hitting prospects that have disappointed once with the big club. Theres a laundry list of them over the past several years. Those 2 cities are where hitters go to die.....well, add in San Diego to that list as well. 

Matt Wieters might not be Johnny Bench at the dish, but he's still amongst the best hitting Catchers in MLB, if not the best. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Ok? My point still stands. Jason Heyward will be good, not great. He'll never be the 2nd coming of Griffey, like fanboys were hoping.

Matt Wieters is off to a nice start due to unsustainebly high BABIP (.375 this year compared to .286 career) but he is not the best hitting catcher in baseball and its not debatable. Buster Posey is easily the best hitting catcher in baseball.

Heyward has gone from being a top prospect to not even being one of the top 10 players under 25. Heck, he might be the third best Under-25 player on his own team (Freddie Freeman, Andrelton Simmons, and Julio Teheran). The only lock is Freeman, but cases could be made for Simmons and Teheran.

Quote:Heyward has gone from being a top prospect to not even being one of the top 10 players under 25. Heck, he might be the third best Under-25 player on his own team (Freddie Freeman, Andrelton Simmons, and Julio Teheran). The only lock is Freeman, but cases could be made for Simmons and Teheran.

I would take the future of any of those three over Heyward's. I like Jason, but there are many great athletes that would be baseball immortals, if they could only master the skill of hitting a baseball.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]