Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
An above average QB would make us playoff contenders.

Gus is a defensive minded head coach. The current trend on the boards is that the Jags will use their 3rd overall pick on a defensive player. We've acquired a number of very good defensive free agents that fit Gus's defensive scheme...This is all well and good... if you're a coach who wants to highlight your defensive coaching skill. It isn't necessarily a recipe for a winning team however.

At the moment, the Jaguars appear lopsided; the emphasis is definitely on the defense. The seahawks had a great defense too... it also had a very good offense that helped make that defense look good. Balance. It is very much about balance, and the Jags aren't. 

Here's the thing; a defense is by definition reactionary...it responds to what an opposing offense is doing. A team that is defensive minded and has an inept offence may put up great defensive numbers. How could it not? It's defense will be on the field most of the time since it has no real offensive threat. For an offense to be a threat in the modern NFL, it has to have at least a respectable passing threat. To date, the most touchdowns passes thrown by a Jaguar quarterback was by David Garrard. Nearly half of the other NFL teams equaled or bettered his record last season. To repeat, to be an offensive threat, you need what your opponents would regard as at least a credible passing threat.

We have capable receivers; world ending superstar receivers are like world ending superstar punters; not required. All that is required is receivers that run accurate routes, reasonable speed, and who can catch and hold on to the ball more often than not if the pass is catch-able. You need an offensive line that can allow a quarterback enough time to drop and give him 3 seconds to look and pass or tuck and run. We didn't have that during the Gabbert era. But the real key, the biggest factor is the quarterback himself; a good quarterback elevates everyone's play around him. A mediocre quarterback will sometimes make a big play; but mostly he'll just be a game manager...nothing special. What's more, he won't inspire effort from those around him. Mediocrity is infectious; all you have to do is look at the teams from last season with losing records and you'll see teams with mediocre quarterbacks. The quarterback is the leader; as he goes, usually so goes the team. There have been exceptions of course; The Ravens when Ray Lewis was there for example. That is the exception however, not the norm.

The jags need a franchise quarterback more than any other position. Until we get one, we'll continue to be losers. Period.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Actually, I kind'a feel silly for writing that last article of mine. I just restated what everyone has been saying for a while now; the Jaguars desperately need a franchise quarterback. I openly declare my culpability for having stated the obvious.... or is it?

There is an old saying about 'not being able to see the forest for all the trees'... What this means is that it's possible to get so wrapped up in the details, in the minuscule... that we forget the big picture. So allow me to say it again; we've had great defensive players, great coaches, even a great punter  :whistling:. We haven't had a winning season in a long time now though and it seems that that dry spell has corresponded to the last time we had a decent quarterback. 

I might be guilty of a lot of things but I'm not so dense that I can't see what everybody else who follows the NFL already knows and has said repeatedly; we need a decent quarterback more than anything else. We've got a top three pick. If we don't use it on a top ten quarterback then shame on us...

Quote:Actually, I kind'a feel silly for writing that last article of mine. I just restated what everyone has been saying for a while now; the Jaguars desperately need a franchise quarterback. I openly declare my culpability for having stated the obvious.... or is it?

There is an old saying about 'not being able to see the forest for all the trees'... What this means is that it's possible to get so wrapped up in the details, in the minuscule... that we forget the big picture. So allow me to say it again; we've had great defensive players, great coaches, even a great punter  :whistling:. We haven't had a winning season in a long time now though and it seems that that dry spell has corresponded to the last time we had a decent quarterback. 

I might be guilty of a lot of things but I'm not so dense that I can't see what everybody else who follows the NFL already knows and has said repeatedly; we need a decent quarterback more than anything else. We've got a top three pick. If we don't use it on a top ten quarterback then shame on us...

What if there really isn't a true top 10 QB in the draft (which many think is the case this year)?  Then you're reaching.  You can get a potentially solid contributor outside of the top of the draft. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:What if there really isn't a true top 10 QB in the draft (which many think is the case this year)?  Then you're reaching.  You can get a potentially solid contributor outside of the top of the draft. 
No doubt true and you probably know more about this stuff than I do. I was just operating from the premise that...

1. there is a reason why a top 10 quarterback is there as compared to later in the draft.

2. isn't every pick a 'reach'? none of these picks are guaranteed. It just seems logical that you would have a higher probability of finding a star in the top 10 than later.

3. it seems that statistically for most teams that 'as the quarterback goes, so goes the team'. Not too many great teams without a stellar quarterback....

Quote:No doubt true and you probably know more about this stuff than I do. I was just operating from the premise that...

1. there is a reason why a top 10 quarterback is there as compared to later in the draft.

2. isn't every pick a 'reach'? none of these picks are guaranteed. It just seems logical that you would have a higher probability of finding a star in the top 10 than later.

3. it seems that statistically for most teams that 'as the quarterback goes, so goes the team'. Not too many great teams without a stellar quarterback....
Actually, there is another point to consider also; there are at least three (maybe four) top quarterbacks to choose from this year. We know we have the 3rd over-all pick this year. The emphasis in both of these sentences is 'this year'. We don't know about next year; if we show just a little improvement on the teams record at the end of the season (as many think is likely) we will finish closer to the middle of the pack. We wouldn't have the advantageous drafting position we have now. Wouldn't it be smarter to, as the saying goes, 'strike while the fire is hot' and use that 3rd over-all pick on a quarterback?

Quote:No doubt true and you probably know more about this stuff than I do. I was just operating from the premise that...

1. Top 10 vs. top 3.  If the front office looks at the QB class and is unimpressed, you still think they should spend #3 on someone just because he was projected as a top 10 QB?  I hope that's not their mindset.  If they aren't able to trade out of 3, take the best player on the board.  It won't be a QB. 
  2. Every pick is a risk.  Not every pick is a reach. 
  3. Most decent teams have a good QB.  Not all of them were drafted in the top 10.  Trust your scouts.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Simply taking a QB in the top 10 doesn't mean he's top 10 material.  The entire premise, assuming there is one worthy of a top 10 pick, is flawed.  That's certainly not a given.  An opinion for sure, but not a given.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Actually, there is another point to consider also; there are at least three (maybe four) top quarterbacks to choose from this year. We know we have the 3rd over-all pick this year. The emphasis in both of these sentences is 'this year'. We don't know about next year; if we show just a little improvement on the teams record at the end of the season (as many think is likely) we will finish closer to the middle of the pack. We wouldn't have the advantageous drafting position we have now. Wouldn't it be smarter to, as the saying goes, 'strike while the fire is hot' and use that 3rd over-all pick on a quarterback?

No, not if the QB class isn't offering you a guy who is a sure thing.  You don't draft thinking about what might happen next year.  You draft based on what is directly in front of you.  I wouldn't categorize any of the top QBs in this draft as a guy you're going to just take at 3 because he's got a top 10 grade.  You draft a QB where he fits.  Missing out on Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles won't trigger the end of the world.  There are other options. 

Quote:No, not if the QB class isn't offering you a guy who is a sure thing.  You don't draft thinking about what might happen next year.  You draft based on what is directly in front of you.  I wouldn't categorize any of the top QBs in this draft as a guy you're going to just take at 3 because he's got a top 10 grade.  You draft a QB where he fits.  Missing out on Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles won't trigger the end of the world.  There are other options. 
hmmm. ok, if you say so. But if you're wrong and and I was right at the end of the season I'm gonna go throw myself off the highest hill I can find in J'ville...

Quote:hmmm. ok, if you say so. But if you're wrong and and I was right at the end of the season I'm gonna go throw myself off the highest hill I can find in J'ville...

The team is going to grab a QB this year.  I just don't think they're going to reach for a guy that really isn't the best option.

Quote:hmmm. ok, if you say so. But if you're wrong and and I was right at the end of the season I'm gonna go throw myself off the highest hill I can find in J'ville...
a real hill... ramps don't count!

I disagree the Offense is in bad shape.  I mean Chad Henne is our starting QB, that says a lot right there.

Our Veteran Center is retired and they have no guy to take the helm.  They traded away monroe to the Ravens, and our star rookie was injured as soon as Gus moved him to LT.  One hopes he's fully healed and can handle the LT position in the NFL but our Guard has been injured two years in a row.  Our RT was on the bench but did a great job when he was put in.  Our star WR is banned and even if he wasnt who knows when he'll go to jail again.  The other WRs show promise but they are no Julio, Megatron, or Jackson caliber.  Our star RB is in Oakland, and while Toby looks promising he has everything working against him. 

Do you really think only a great QB can turn this all around?  I dont.  If Gus / Dave did nothing but brought in Peyton Manning, he would have to retire after being killed by the lack of OLine.

Quote:I disagree the Offense is in bad shape.  I mean Chad Henne is our starting QB, that says a lot right there.

Our Veteran Center is retired and they have no guy to take the helm.  They traded away monroe to the Ravens, and our star rookie was injured as soon as Gus moved him to LT.  One hopes he's fully healed and can handle the LT position in the NFL but our Guard has been injured two years in a row.  Our RT was on the bench but did a great job when he was put in.  Our star WR is banned and even if he wasnt who knows when he'll go to jail again.  The other WRs show promise but they are no Julio, Megatron, or Jackson caliber.  Our star RB is in Oakland, and while Toby looks promising he has everything working against him. 

Do you really think only a great QB can turn this all around?  I dont.  If Gus / Dave did nothing but brought in Peyton Manning, he would have to retire after being killed by the lack of OLine.

I'm pretty sure they're going to address more than just the QB position on the offensive side of the ball. 

Our "star" RB is in Oakland?  You mean that worn out, injury prone, overweight running back who is a shell of his former self?  I wouldn't refer to him as a star.  More like a fallen star, and he can't get up.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2014, 02:21 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:I disagree the Offense is in bad shape.  I mean Chad Henne is our starting QB, that says a lot right there.

Chad Henne is a legitimate concern, as he's simply not very good. However I have no doubts about Luke Joeckel playing at a high level at LT, he was stonewalling Robert Quinn before the ankle injury, he looked much more comfortable on the left side. Austin Pastzor excels in pass protection, but struggles in the run game; if he can improve his upper body strength he has a chance to be a really good player (think Zach Strief) at right tackle. This receiver class is incredibly deep, there's a good chance the Jaguars will find an impact starter in the 3rd/4th round, MJD hasn't been in a "star" in the league for a few years now, he's more name than game. At the end of the day I think you're painting a grim and inaccurate picture of the state of our offense, they obviously have a ways to go, but this draft is historically deep on the offensive side of the ball, they'll be fine.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2014, 04:58 PM by Olive.)

Quote:Atlanta has more than a decent QB.  You do understand that football is actually a team sport, and that when you have more talent surrounding a QB, he tends to do better, right?  It's not really a difficult concept to grasp.  Atlanta's offense was better top to bottom than the Jaguars was last year.  One player was not going to get this team 4-5 more wins.

If I were to think of a team that was a high end QB away from the Superbowl from last season, I think of what Matt Ryan could have done for the Texans. Without a QB, they secured the first overall pick.

Quote:If I were to think of a team that was a high end QB away from the Superbowl from last season, I think of what Matt Ryan could have done for the Texans. Without a QB, they secured the first overall pick.

And Houston thought they had their guy in Schaub.  That didn't go so well for them in the long run. Their window closed pretty quickly.

Quote:And Houston thought they had their guy in Schaub.  That didn't go so well for them in the long run. Their window closed pretty quickly.

It was unexpected how fast Schaub went from hero to zero in Houston. Texans had so much talent (still does) on both sides of the ball. If they draft well this year, I think they could be back pretty quickly. I also wonder how different they will be with O'Brian replacing Kubiak. I don't expect them to have a top ten pick this coming season. They have to fix that QB position, just like we do.

Of course an above average QB would make the Jags playoff contenders. The AFC South is down right now. Luck is the division"s best QB, but he's beatable, unlike that former QB they had, who wasn't, unless it was in the playoffs or SB.

It's just too bad that in the last 2 years in which the Jags had the #2 and #3 overall pick, that there isn't a really good above average QB to select.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:It was unexpected how fast Schaub went from hero to zero in Houston. Texans had so much talent (still does) on both sides of the ball. If they draft well this year, I think they could be back pretty quickly. I also wonder how different they will be with O'Brian replacing Kubiak. I don't expect them to have a top ten pick this coming season. They have to fix that QB position, just like we do.
Does only bother me that the last couple of years the Jaguars have struggled while the Colts got Andrew Luck (the best QB in many of years highly anticipated in the draft #1 overall & now the Texans will get Clowney the equalivant of Luck at DE in valant skill for a rookie)? 

If the Texans dont trade down and take Clowney & lives up to the Hype.. its going to be a tough division for us.

Quote:Does only bother me that the last couple of years the Jaguars have struggled while the Colts got Andrew Luck (the best QB in many of years highly anticipated in the draft #1 overall & now the Texans will get Clowney the equalivant of Luck at DE in valant skill for a rookie)? 

If the Texans dont trade down and take Clowney & lives up to the Hype.. its going to be a tough division for us.
Come on, Clowney is far from Andrew Luck.  Lots of Mock even have us draft Clowney at the 3rd pick, I hope we trade it away if that happens. His work ethnic is questionable, I'd rather have Johnny Football!