Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
High school coach facing jail after he shoved student who broke wind in his face

High school coach facing jail after he shoved student who broke wind in his face
<ul class="">[*]<b>Michael Smith, 45, also a teacher, shoved student so hard into wall, the impact broke a thermometer</b>
[*]<b>Smith was suspended over the March 25 incident and is facing charges of harassment and criminal mischief</b>
[*]<b>Student suffered soreness in his left shoulder</b>
</ul> 

<b>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-face.html</b>

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Was there a "pull my finger" involved. I really need to know because it's going to seriously sway my opinion on whether this guy got shafted or not.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

That's not right

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:That's not right

No it's not. He ought to have decked that lil [BAD WORD REMOVED]

Quote:That's not right
If there was a "pull my finger" involved, the kid was completely within his rights. That's the rules, you know.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I was talking to an assistant principal this weekend and I said there is no way I could be a teacher.  He said you would be surprised.

I don't think I would be.  I would punch a kid within a week.

Students name..Jumpin Jack Flash

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:I was talking to an assistant principal this weekend and I said there is no way I could be a teacher.  He said you would be surprised.

Same here, in fact that's how I lost my first teaching job at the elementary school. First graders have to learn it's not ok to flick boogers. Punk learned the hard way.

Quote:I was talking to an assistant principal this weekend and I said there is no way I could be a teacher.  He said you would be surprised.

Teaching today has to be one of the most challenging jobs out there today. It just seems every generation of kids becomes more rebellous and difficult then the previous one. Their behavoir and lack of respect for authority seems to get worse and worse with no end in sight.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Teaching today has to be one of the most challenging jobs out there today. It just seems every generation of kids becomes more rebellous and difficult then the previous one. Their behavoir and lack of respect for authority seems to get worse and worse with no end in sight.

Blame the poor excuse for parenting these days

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Quote:Blame the poor excuse for parenting these days
Quote:Teaching today has to be one of the most challenging jobs out there today. It just seems every generation of kids becomes more rebellous and difficult then the previous one. Their behavoir and lack of respect for authority seems to get worse and worse with no end in sight.

I agree. Tbqh, I can't understand how TMD gets so much crap when he says similar things. When I hear older people talk about children these days and how things were back in the day, they all have the same thing in common. Even the older generation claims it's the children these days. I do blame the parents as well.

I'm right there with you Diesel!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:I agree. Tbqh, I can't understand how TMD gets so much crap when he says similar things. When I hear older people talk about children these days and how things were back in the day, they all have the same thing in common. Even the older generation claims it's the children these days. I do blame the parents as well.

Same reason he'd get arguments if he said the Pope was Catholic...
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2014, 09:21 AM by jtmoney.)

Quote:Same reason he'd get arguments if he said the Pope was Catholic...
The stats don't back his claims up. Crimes down. Media attention however is wayyyyyy up.

Every generation says how bad the new generation is. And that trend will continue.

There was a time when the teacher would get the benefit of the doubt in a situation like this. Those days are long gone as the pendulum has swung so wildly in the other direction that kids are not being held accountable for their own stupid and disrespectful acts.

On the surface, what this kid did was funny in a juvenile kind if way, but it was also rude and disrespectful because of the target. Had he done this to another player and suffered the same outcome, it would have been chalked up to boys being boys and everyone would have moved on. Because it was a coach, someone must be punished because we can't have our little angels being hurt like this by an adult faculty member.

I have a sister in law who teaches in the public school system here in Duval. She's been doing so for about 15 years. She's had first graders cuss her out and act out in class, and her hands are tied. When she asks the parents to come in for a conference to discuss the behavior, she gets as little regard for her position from the parent as she does the child.

Yes, every generation says the next one is worse. That doesn't mean it's not true. We have all seen the lack of regard kids have for elders or authority figures who should command their respect. It's been a slow progression, and unfortunately, protected behavior in an ever increasingly politically correct world.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I agree. Tbqh, I can't understand how TMD gets so much crap when he says similar things. When I hear older people talk about children these days and how things were back in the day, they all have the same thing in common. Even the older generation claims it's the children these days. I do blame the parents as well.

It's no different than 10 years ago, or 20 or 30. Doesn't mean its true.

As another poster mentioned, there are no stats to back up these claims.

It's all a perception thing. I can't even imagine what my grandparents thought when they saw what people were doing at Woodstock. That was 45 years ago.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2014, 10:06 AM by Shack Del Rio.)

Quote:There was a time when the teacher would get the benefit of the doubt in a situation like this. Those days are long gone as the pendulum has swung so wildly in the other direction that kids are not being held accountable for their own stupid and disrespectful acts.

On the surface, what this kid did was funny in a juvenile kind if way, but it was also rude and disrespectful because of the target. Had he done this to another player and suffered the same outcome, it would have been chalked up to boys being boys and everyone would have moved on. Because it was a coach, someone must be punished because we can't have our little angels being hurt like this by an adult faculty member.

I have a sister in law who teaches in the public school system here in Duval. She's been doing so for about 15 years. She's had first graders cuss her out and act out in class, and her hands are tied. When she asks the parents to come in for a conference to discuss the behavior, she gets as little regard for her position from the parent as she does the child.

Yes, every generation says the next one is worse. That doesn't mean it's not true. We have all seen the lack of regard kids have for elders or authority figures who should command their respect. It's been a slow progression, and unfortunately, protected behavior in an ever increasingly politically correct world.

Do you think if a coach/teacher had shoved a student when you were in high school that he would not have gotten reprimanded? When I was in high school, we had a teacher that pushed a student and he was suspended and eventually fired. It's an inexcusable behavior.

Quote:There was a time when the teacher would get the benefit of the doubt in a situation like this. Those days are long gone as the pendulum has swung so wildly in the other direction that kids are not being held accountable for their own stupid and disrespectful acts.

That's pretty sad. I was a pretty good kid growing up, very rarely got in trouble. I remember one time I did something that wasn't even that bad and my parents got a call. I knew at school I had done something wrong and had hours to figure out my side of it and why it wasn't a big deal, or nah it wasn't quite as teacher said. Well, guess what? My parents weren't idiots. Even though I was a good kid, they knew better. They knew the teacher wasn't going to make stuff up or blow it out of proportion or even call when it wasn't necessary. Today's parents either don't care or are just too stupid to realize their angel did something wrong. Even if they do realize it there isn't any repercussions for their actions. " ok Johnny, time out for you" paaaalease! Really? " go to your room" you mean the place he'd be anyway playing his xbox, watching satellite tv with every imaginable channel, computer, iPod, cell phone? Oh yeah, that'll teach him.

I was picking my step son up from bartram one day when he was sick. It also happened to be senior prank day. Apparently a few students superglued a bunch of locks. This supposedly delayed school for quite some time while locksmiths came out to the rescue. Police were there as well. I saw one of these students, whom apparently was one of the few that pulled the prank, get pick up from his mom. Idk if the suspended him or what but Her reply, " all this just because of a prank?" She was upset that she had to take time out of her day and pick up her piece of crap kid for something so minor. You could tell she was more upset with the school than her kid. She didn't seem the least bit upset with her kid as a matter of fact.

Quote:Do you think if a coach/teacher had shoved a student when you were in high school that he would not have gotten reprimanded? When I was in high school, we had a teacher that pushed a student and he was suspended and eventually fired. It's an inexcusable behavior.

I agree that it doesn't matter whether today or 20 years ago, teachers shouldn't physically harm the children in any way. Can I say I blame the teacher, no. But he should have more control and handled it different.

I was at the park the other day. Me and my wife talked about this very subject. I looked around and there were tons of parents and tons of kids. And it was amazing to see how all these different kids who did not know each other play without incident.

I also remember growing up in high school and know of a kid who beat up his teacher. Kids going to school high and drunk, not uncommon. There were many incidents like this. I believe there were many in the generation before me. Now the biggest difference and one we know to be a fact is how sensitive our society is to everything. Sometimes that's good and sometimes that bad. Teachers used to be able to hit children, but no more.

Anyways, if any of you have some stats to back up kids saying thank you less then I'd love to see them.

Another point. Crime is down yet people think crime is up. Great point on how perception doesn't equal reality.