Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Brock Osweiler benched in second quarter

Quote:Yes I can..and it was very easy to find

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://youtu.be/nrPL1Skq1d0'>https://youtu.be/nrPL1Skq1d0</a>

Atleast 3 times (which were all completions btw) the commentators mention pressure... anymore questions or should we all just sit on our hands and continue the false narrative that the #5 defense in the league offered zero pressure all game.

The Jags defense has been lacking in pressure for most of the season.

However, yesterday that was not the case. They were getting pressure on Savage at times. Some people just want to deflect the atrocity of the Jags offense onto some poor aspects of the defense. Ignore that stuff from them.

I recall one particular play where Savage took a direct SHOT (from Cyprien IIRC). The defender had a free run at Savage, and completely ROCKED him. Savage stood right there and delivered a completion.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The Jags defense has been lacking in pressure for most of the season.

However, yesterday that was not the case. They were getting pressure on Savage at times. Some people just want to deflect the atrocity of the Jags offense onto some poor aspects of the defense. Ignore that stuff from them.

I recall one particular play where Savage took a direct SHOT (from Cyprien IIRC). The defender had a free run at Savage, and completely ROCKED him. Savage stood right there and delivered a completion.

Because safeties are so far back in the defense, it is impressive to see one rush the QB. Great play by Cyprien.

People just want to be negative about everything, so they make up problems. The defense is pretty good now.

Quote:   The only hope for the Texans regarding Brock Osweiler is if another full off-season and summer in the Texans system leads to substantial progress.   The odds seem against this happening.   If not for the salary cap ramifications regarding dumping Osweiler in 2017,  it probably would be a foregone conclusion he would be released in the coming months.  

I don't know about all that. 

I think there can be "substantial" progress with more familiarity with the system. I think he's been making good decisions with the ball all year long, just not the best decisions. 

If Savage plays well over the next five games, I have no doubt he'll be our starting QB going into 2017. But health has been an issue with him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Osweiler step in & win the job. He'd have to play like a franchise QB not to be cut in 2018 still... but we'll see. 

ImATexan

Quote:They already addressed the QB situation yesterday. Tom Savage is the QB. It wasn't ability that always held him back it was health.. he's healthy now and has been in the system for 3 years..it's time. Dude has a great arm and a great understanding of the offense. Texans aren't going to be looking for another starting QB.. they'll be looking for another qb to replace backup Osweiler after the 2017 season. Tom Savage is a pretty good QB and I'd put his arm talent against anyone.. only reason he didn't start sooner is because he had a arm infection.

It was health that's been keeping him from making anything out of his opportunity. 

He's not Russell Wilson, a guy who just blew everybody away in camp & earned the starting job. He's your average run of the mill 4th rounder who has to earn the starting job with his play on the field in the regular season. 

He's got that opportunity now. Let's hope he makes the best of it. 

But the Texans wouldn't have spent $37M on Brock if they thought the way you do about Savage. 

ImATexan

Quote:Because safeties are so far back in the defense, it is impressive to see one rush the QB. Great play by Cyprien.

People just want to be negative about everything, so they make up problems. The defense is pretty good now.

I thought you were the one saying y'all couldn't get pressure on the QB. 

ImATexan

Quote:I don't know about all that. 

I think there can be "substantial" progress with more familiarity with the system. I think he's been making good decisions with the ball all year long, just not the best decisions. 

If Savage plays well over the next five games, I have no doubt he'll be our starting QB going into 2017. But health has been an issue with him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Osweiler step in & win the job. He'd have to play like a franchise QB not to be cut in 2018 still... but we'll see. 

Where did you get five games from? The Texans are not going to the Super Bowl without game tickets - book it.

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2016, 02:19 PM by Thunderkyss.)

Quote:Where did you get five games from? The Texans are not going to the Super Bowl without game tickets - book it.

Don't hate. 

& the Super Bowl would be six games from now. 

ImATexan

Quote:Don't hate. 

& the Super Bowl would be six games from now. 

I am not hating. Where did you get that from? It is my honest opinion based on what I have seen the Texans do this season the Texans are not Super Bowl material. Look at how bad they played against real playoff contenders.

Quote:Look at how bad they played against real playoff contenders.

With a different QB.. who has basically kept DeAndre Hopkins on Gilligan's island. Hell even Yates, Fitzpatrick, Mallett, and Hoyer could get him involved... reason why he's benched. The Texans most likely aren't going to sniff a SB appearance (too many holes), but their defense has kept them in almost every game this season while Brock was shooting them in the foot. If they get good play out of Savage they will be a spoiler and tough out..weirder things have happened.

Either way don't really care about the Superbowl right now, just want to see how Savage performs in these closing games and hope he comes on like gangbusters and solidifies the position...which is completely possible..he has the physical tools to do so. He also has a better understanding of the offense since it's the only one he's been under in the NFL.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2016, 01:02 AM by TurndownforWatt.)

Quote:It was health that's been keeping him from making anything out of his opportunity.

He's not Russell Wilson, a guy who just blew everybody away in camp & earned the starting job. He's your average run of the mill 4th rounder who has to earn the starting job with his play on the field in the regular season.

He's got that opportunity now. Let's hope he makes the best of it.

But the Texans wouldn't have spent $37M on Brock if they thought the way you do about Savage.
The Texans were desperate at QB, the owner demanded a change last offseason, they probably would've spent even more if the market demanded it.. Savage didn't have much to do with that decision since his health kept him out of it. Osweiller showed promise and they desperately pushed their chips.. Seattle did the same thing with Flynn.. difference was they were in complete rebuild mode with a first year head coach who has say so, so deciding to go with a rookie isn't as riskiy. We need a new G.M. who's not too close to upper management.

Last week was a separation move by O'Brien... he pushed his chips..let's see how it works out.

And Savage needs to stay healthy.

Quote:With a different QB.. who has basically kept DeAndre Hopkins on Gilligan's island. Hell even Yates, Fitzpatrick, Mallett, and Hoyer could get him involved... reason why he's benched. The Texans most likely aren't going to sniff a SB appearance (too many holes), but their defense has kept them in almost every game this season while Brock was shooting them in the foot. If they get good play out of Savage they will be a spoiler and tough out..weirder things have happened.

Either way don't really care about the Superbowl right now, just want to see how Savage performs in these closing games and hope he comes on like gangbusters and solidifies the position...which is completely possible..he has the physical tools to do so. He also has a better understanding of the offense since it's the only one he's been under in the NFL.

I don't get the Gilligan's Island reference.

Do you agree DeAndre Hopkins often gets away with OPI (offensive pass interference) every week? That is the biggest complaint Jaguars fans have about him, at least at the Jungle.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2016, 01:40 AM by TurndownforWatt.)

Quote:I don't get the Gilligan's Island reference.

Do you agree DeAndre Hopkins often gets away with OPI (offensive pass interference) every week? That is the biggest complaint Jaguars fans have about him, at least at the Jungle.
They were lost on Gilligan's island.. how do you not get that. A push off can be a art.. but it's not like he does it every time

Not only that Hopkins has been awesome, rivals cry about him, but they would absolutely love him on their team and he makes OBJ look overrated, he's had much better catches.

I know absolutely nothing about this placed called Gililligan's Island and the people were there. If that is a fictional movie, there is zero chance I will watch it.

Quote:I know absolutely nothing about this placed called Gililligan's Island and the people were there. If that is a fictional movie, there is zero chance I will watch it.

It was a classic TV show.. what planet do you live on?

The minnow would be lost.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I am not hating. Where did you get that from? It is my honest opinion based on what I have seen the Texans do this season the Texans are not Super Bowl material. Look at how bad they played against real playoff contenders.

Like the Chiefs, Lions, Packers & Raiders (we didn't beat the Packers or Raiders, but we were competitive)? 

ImATexan

Quote:Last week was a separation move by O'Brien... he pushed his chips..let's see how it works out.

And Savage needs to stay healthy.

We'll see. 

IMO, benching Osweiler is no different than sitting Paxton Lynch all year, or Jared Goff for most of the year. These last three games are critical to our playoff chances & Osweiler just wasn't getting it done. With the money they invested in him, they see something in him. I doubt they give up on him entirely after just 13 games. 

No doubt if Savage blows their minds over the next five games, he'll start 2017 as the starter. Otherwise, there will be an honest to God QB competition... let the best man win. 

ImATexan

Quote:I don't get the Gilligan's Island reference.

No more than Cj Fiedorowicz

ImATexan

Quote:I know absolutely nothing about this placed called Gililligan's Island and the people were there. If that is a fictional movie, there is zero chance I will watch it.

How old are you? 

You've got to be early 30s or younger if you don't know Gilligan's Island. 

ImATexan

Quote:They were lost on Gilligan's island.. how do you not get that. A push off can be a art.. but it's not like he does it every time

Not only that Hopkins has been awesome, rivals cry about him, but they would absolutely love him on their team and he makes OBJ look overrated, he's had much better catches.

I don't know anything about Gilligan's Island.