Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
UPS Fires 250 Workers For Participating In Protest

Quote:Bchbunnie has lately decided to become the Moral Authority around here. Kind of out of the blue. I suspect due to solar flares.

Quote:You may need to modify your intake. I referenced you in a post to rollerjag. I responded to TMD when he made one of his endless ironic posts (TMD talking about hypocrisy - the humor never ends). You were not mentioned at all.

Who is following whom? You seem particularly sensitive for some one who suggested to another that they need to get tougher, that perhaps a message board was not for them.

You may want to follow your own advice. (And when was I never friendly with you? You are the one who decided to be holier than thou. It's all on you.)

Yeah...I wasn't mentioned at all. Nope... Rolleyes

Maybe it's your intake you need to be worrying about. Perhaps you've tossed to many back tonight and forgot what you wrote. Or maybe you're just too sensitive to those solar flares you wrote about.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Big difference between govt unions and private unions that said those workers walked out on their own it wasn't even a union organize activity. I don't care what group your apart of you walk out of work your getting fired
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:The facts are they left their posts/ duties unexcused. Thats grounds for termination. If I did the same thing at my job, I'd get fired too. 

Quote:Big difference between govt unions and private unions that said those workers walked out on their own it wasn't even a union organize activity. I don't care what group your apart of you walk out of work your getting fired

Yep, thats how I saw it too. 

Quote:  

Yeah...I wasn't mentioned at all. Nope... Rolleyes

Maybe it's your intake you need to be worrying about. Perhaps you've tossed to many back tonight and forgot what you wrote. Or maybe you're just too sensitive to those solar flares you wrote about.

It's ironic that the person you are having a back and forth with is calling you the new moral authority of this board....

Quote:It's ironic that the person you are having a back and forth with is calling you the new moral authority of this board....

lol, I mentioned something similar a few posts ago. 

Guess he can't pin it all on "just me" saying it now. 

Quote:It's ironic that the person you are having a back and forth with is calling you the new moral authority of this board....

I thought so too....but at least he made me giggle when he did it, so he's got that going for him!

The guy was fired without due process. If in fact the company fired the guy without a grievance hearing and whatever else they have in their agreement then it could possibly mean strike action. It doesnt seem like it was sanctioned, but the 250 obviously took a stand; possibly thinking that if the company starts this now, sets a precedent, then we get screwed in the long run. Its a philosophy of an injury to one is an injury to all.

Everyone has their own opinion. Mine is, that I would not get a rise out of people getting fired, not at least without knowing a few facts. TMD has obviously not belonged to a Union of any sort, and I'm sure would not be welcome with his way of thinking. Thats fine. Thats his call. 

Quote:Big difference between govt unions and private unions that said those workers walked out on their own it wasn't even a union organize activity. I don't care what group your apart of you walk out of work your getting fired
<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Yep, thats how I saw it too. 

Yep..you saw what? An "organize activity"? What is that?  This was not an "organize activity". It also has nothing to do with gov't or private sector. 
Some of you seemed to like the firing and creation of job openings. It is possible the company was in violation of due process in the discharge procedure. 
As RJ said it, There must be something going on in order for that many to just walk off...knowing there could be consequences.
Then there are those that cant relate to an " all for one" attitude and have just a " one, and thats me" attitude. Some have nads to stick together and take chances. Some are too timid. 
Some saw this as funny. Good for them. New job openings at someone elses expense. Got called out on it, and displayed your true nature and personality. 
Schadenfreude over someones misfortunes isnt my cuppa tea. But, thats what makes us all individuals.
Good luck in landing one of those jobs. 250 of them, that pay dang good, so I'm sure you're in line.

Blakes Life Matters

Quote: 

The guy was fired without due process. If in fact the company fired the guy without a grievance hearing and whatever else they have in their agreement then it could possibly mean strike action. It doesnt seem like it was sanctioned, but the 250 obviously took a stand; possibly thinking that if the company starts this now, sets a precedent, then we get screwed in the long run. Its a philosophy of an injury to one is an injury to all.

Everyone has their own opinion. Mine is, that I would not get a rise out of people getting fired, not at least without knowing a few facts. TMD has obviously not belonged to a Union of any sort, and I'm sure would not be welcome with his way of thinking. Thats fine. Thats his call. 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Yep, thats how I saw it too. 

<div> 
Yep..you saw what? An "organize activity"? What is that?  This was not an "organize activity". It also has nothing to do with gov't or private sector. 
Some of you seemed to like the firing and creation of job openings. It is possible the company was in violation of due process in the discharge procedure. 
As RJ said it, There must be something going on in order for that many to just walk off...knowing there could be consequences.
Then there are those that cant relate to an " all for one" attitude and have just a " one, and thats me" attitude. Some have nads to stick together and take chances. Some are too timid. 
Some saw this as funny. Good for them. New job openings at someone elses expense. Got called out on it, and displayed your true nature and personality. 
Schadenfreude over someones misfortunes isnt my cuppa tea. But, thats what makes us all individuals.
Good luck in landing one of those jobs. 250 of them, that pay dang good, so I'm sure you're in line.

</div>

I'm not celebrating anyone getting fired? I'm just stating the obvious you walk out of a job you're getting fired 9 out of 10 times. Heck I've seen guys fired for walking out to take care of family emergencies, didn't matter you left your job you have no job not calling it right or wrong just the way it is.

Now had this been an organized union protest the workers usually have more protection. The Union usually tells the company we are going to strike on this day at this time, striking is usually allowed per the CBA of that company and so on. Most strikes are just for show, this wasn't a strike it was a group of people that didn't like a company decision and walked out. I respect what they did, I understand what UPS did, and don't think either party is evil or mean, it's just decisions.

I think some of you guys are kind of quick to cast stones at TMD for making a joke, I've seen people make worse jokes about way worse situations, but I get it, it's TMD.

Personally, I'm not walking out on a job because some other guy got fired. I don't consider it being stoneless or not having nads, I call it common sense. My responsibility is to my family.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014, 02:54 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:I'm not celebrating anyone getting fired? I'm just stating the obvious you walk out of a job you're getting fired 9 out of 10 times. Heck I've seen guys fired for walking out to take care of family emergencies, didn't matter you left your job you have no job not calling it right or wrong just the way it is.

Now had this been an organized union protest the workers usually have more protection. The Union usually tells the company we are going to strike on this day at this time, striking is usually allowed per the CBA of that company and so on. Most strikes are just for show, this wasn't a strike it was a group of people that didn't like a company decision and walked out. I respect what they did, I understand what UPS did, and don't think either party is evil or mean, it's just decisions.

I think some of you guys are kind of quick to cast stones at TMD for making a joke, I've seen people make worse jokes about way worse situations, but I get it, it's TMD.

Personally, I'm not walking out on a job because some other guy got fired. I don't consider it being stoneless or not having nads, I call it common sense. My responsibility is to my family.
Sure, but doesn't it make you question why 250 people would do this? Tells me that there is more to the story. That is a lot of people willing to risk their jobs for someone. I don't think we have the full story. I think what Ringo is saying is don't be so quick to make a judgment right or wrong on what happened. Probably more to come...

Quote:Cool, job openings!

Quote:There ya go!
 My brother in law is one of the fired . If you're interested in a job, seeing that you're just across the river, why dont you meet him and some of the guys? They'll be at Local 804 in NY. Just tell them you're there for the cool, job openings. 

Bchbunnie; not sure if that stands for, you like the ocean or that you're a grouchy bunnie, but maybe you can help with his resume.

Good luck. I'll tell my in law you'll be heading to town.

Quote:Sure, but doesn't it make you question why 250 people would do this? Tells me that there is more to the story. That is a lot of people willing to risk their jobs for someone. I don't think we have the full story. I think what Ringo is saying is don't be so quick to make a judgment right or wrong on what happened. Probably more to come...

I'm sure there is more to the story. heck I don't doubt they have what they believe as a good reason to walk off, I'm just saying I wouldn't walk off for fear of exactly what happened. The companies going to say ok keep walking we can find more workers in no time.

Quote: My brother in law is one of the fired . If you're interested in a job, seeing that you're just across the river, why dont you meet him and some of the guys? They'll be at Local 804 in NY. Just tell them you're there for the cool, job openings. 

Bchbunnie; not sure if that stands for, you like the ocean or that you're a grouchy bunnie, but maybe you can help with his resume.

this attitude is what's wrong with unions. You talk like he should go down there and get beat up cause he would replace them at a job site. They don't "own" that job, I'm sorry for your families loss and wish him the best. heck I hope he gets his job back.

Quote:I'm sure there is more to the story. heck I don't doubt they have what they believe as a good reason to walk off, I'm just saying I wouldn't walk off for fear of exactly what happened. The companies going to say ok keep walking we can find more workers in no time.

this attitude is what's wrong with unions. You talk like he should go down there and get beat up cause he would replace them at a job site. They don't "own" that job, I'm sorry for your families loss and wish him the best. heck I hope he gets his job back.

I'm saying maybe we should (not you in particular) reserve judgment until more information comes out.

Quote:I'm saying maybe we should (not you in particular) reserve judgment until more information comes out.

fair enough, hopefully it gets smoothed over and they get their jobs back. work is tough to find and I know UPS is a pretty solid company to work for.

Quote:My brother in law is one of the fired . If you're interested in a job, seeing that you're just across the river, why dont you meet him and some of the guys? They'll be at Local 804 in NY. Just tell them you're there for the cool, job openings. 

Since you're so "in the know" about what happened...why don't you fill us all in,instead of making ridiculous attempts at veiled threats on a message board.

Quote:I'm sure there is more to the story. heck I don't doubt they have what they believe as a good reason to walk off, I'm just saying I wouldn't walk off for fear of exactly what happened. The companies going to say ok keep walking we can find more workers in no time.

You assume he would get beat up and further assume thats whats bad about unions.

That being said, IF their fight is legitimate and IF they are in this as one. Why would anyone undermine them and try to take their job while they make a stand? These guys also fought for good pay, retirement, safety on the job, pensions,etc. As they stood on picket lines for their fight, you may cross their line to take their work. I wouldnt. 

Years ago, UPS unilaterally raised the amount of weight than they would ship. There were packages that needed two people to lift, yet no help, no dollies,etc. There were no markings on heavy packages. Ultimately people got hurt. If they said they could or refused to lift anything over 70 lbs, they were fired. Consequently, they went on strike over the issue. It lasted just 24 hours, but adjustments were made.

You may have crossed their picket line to get yourself a job while they were standing their ground for each other, because as you say, they dont own their job. Thats you. I wouldnt. No more to be said.

I know the type I would go into battle with and share a foxhole, and I know with whom I wouldnt. Same goes for others. Its todays world.

Quote:Since you're so "in the know" about what happened...why don't you fill us all in,instead of making ridiculous attempts at veiled threats on a message board.
No threats bch. I do know a bit about it. Google it yourself and tear yourself away from this board for a minute

Quote:No threats bch. I do know a bit about it. Google it yourself and tear yourself away from this board for a minute

No threats? Riiight. I'm sure you meant that your brother in law and his friends were just gonna tell him the best things to eat in the company cafeteria. Rolleyes

OK, Enough.

They find that durn plane yet?

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:You assume he would get beat up and further assume thats whats bad about unions.

That being said, IF their fight is legitimate and IF they are in this as one. Why would anyone undermine them and try to take their job while they make a stand? These guys also fought for good pay, retirement, safety on the job, pensions,etc. As they stood on picket lines for their fight, you may cross their line to take their work. I wouldnt. 

Years ago, UPS unilaterally raised the amount of weight than they would ship. There were packages that needed two people to lift, yet no help, no dollies,etc. There were no markings on heavy packages. Ultimately people got hurt. If they said they could or refused to lift anything over 70 lbs, they were fired. Consequently, they went on strike over the issue. It lasted just 24 hours, but adjustments were made.

You may have crossed their picket line to get yourself a job while they were standing their ground for each other, because as you say, they dont own their job. Thats you. I wouldnt. No more to be said.

I know the type I would go into battle with and share a foxhole, and I know with whom I wouldnt. Same goes for others. Its todays world.

I don't fault anyone for trying to take a stand on a job. I also don't fault anyone for applying for said vacancy. They made a play it didn't work out, they hold no right to take that job hostage.

My Grandmother had to cross picket lines when she first came here from Canada, she didn't have the ability to walk away during a strike. My dad remembers her coming home with broken windows in the car and stains on her clothes from ink they threw at her.

When it goes from "taking a stand together for better ____ " to intimidation and violence against others that are just going to work, you stop being a union and become a group of useless thugs.

Quote:OK, Enough.

They find that durn plane yet?

Weren't they hearing pings now or something? Or thought they heard pings?