Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Oprah - cool story

OK .... I'm not a big Oprah fan but I do like what she did.

Inside Edition is portraying Oprah in a bad light because she is evicting her former step mom from a $1.4m home that she had bought for her dad and the step mom when they married.

Apparently, Dad and Stepmom just went through a bitter divorce and dad had previously moved out.   Once the divore papers were officially signed, Oprah served the "former" step mom and eviction notice to move out of the house.  The house is in Oprah's name.   Oprah did offer to give the one of their small ranch homes (~ $200k in value) but she stated it was too small.

Kudos to Oprah on this one.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peopl...n/7128121/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

IMO Oprah is one of those people that when she's doing good deeds, always makes sure someone's watching. 

Genuine people do good deeds even when they do not benefit whatsoever, they just do them out of the goodness of their hearts. 

Quote:IMO Oprah is one of those people that when she's doing good deeds, always makes sure someone's watching. 

Genuine people do good deeds even when they do not benefit whatsoever, they just do them out of the goodness of their hearts. 

And how do you know she doesn't do numerous good deeds of which you are unaware?

Gee, if we all could only rise to your level. You know, being genuine and all.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:And how do you know she doesn't do numerous good deeds of which you are unaware?

Gee, if we all could only rise to your level. You know, being genuine and all.
He's been quite the psychic as of late.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

I dont know if I would have taken the deal to sign a non disclosure either....depending on what she knows.  She could make a good chunk of money on a book deal.

With that said, she was stupid to not accept the things given to her.  A 200k house is a 200k house...and to offer to split the sale was pretty good too.  It sounds like someone thought they hit the jacpot in 2001 and they didnt want to give that type of life up.

Quote:I dont know if I would have taken the deal to sign a non disclosure either....depending on what she knows.  She could make a good chunk of money on a book deal.

With that said, she was stupid to not accept the things given to her.  A 200k house is a 200k house...and to offer to split the sale was pretty good too.  It sounds like someone thought they hit the jacpot in 2001 and they didnt want to give that type of life up.

Seems like O has been nothing but nice to the woman when she was married to her father...selling out for secrets after the fact just makes her a huge scumbag.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Seems like O has been nothing but nice to the woman when she was married to her father...selling out for secrets after the fact just makes her a huge scumbag.

I do agree with this. 

I would have never bought my parents a 1.4 million dollar house. What's wrong with a 120k house?

I would also never expect my child to buy me a million dollar home

Quote:IMO Oprah is one of those people that when she's doing good deeds, always makes sure someone's watching. 

Poseurs!!!!

Oprah is the antichrist..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Not that I agree with the step mother ( because I don't) but, that's what you get when you buy stuff like that for others. It always seems to bite you in the butt somehow. But the again, what's 1.4 mil to a billionaire?

Quote:Not that I agree with the step mother ( because I don't) but, that's what you get when you buy stuff like that for others. It always seems to bite you in the butt somehow. But the again, what's 1.4 mil to a billionaire?

That was probably the attitude of the stepmom...."Oprah has a billion dollars and all we get is a measly house worth 1.4 million dollars."
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:That was probably the attitude of the stepmom...."Oprah has a billion dollars and all we get is a measly house worth 1.4 million dollars."

I hope the greedy witch ends up in a tent.  

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014, 04:32 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Regarding Oprah's net worth of $2.9 billion.  Buying the $1.4 million dollar home equates to a person with $1 million spending $483   --- that's 0.048%  (less then 1/2 of a percent)

lol .... kind of like a millionaire buying an IPad.

Quote:I hope the greedy witch ends up in a tent.  

I'm hoping my white [BLEEP] is in that tent, we get married, then we get divorced, then I walk away with $1.45 billion  ---- I'd hit it a time or 2 for a billion dollars !!

Quote:Seems like O has been nothing but nice to the woman when she was married to her father...selling out for secrets after the fact just makes her a huge scumbag.

She's refusing to leave a house she doesn't own and told her no to a $200k house.  I would say she is quickly approaching scumbag status already.

Quote:That was probably the attitude of the stepmom...."Oprah has a billion dollars and all we get is a measly house worth 1.4 million dollars."

I'll be honest, that was my thought.  If I had as much cash as Oprah, my parents would be living in a $6mm mansion and could have whatever they wanted from me.

:blink:

How do you know, in any way, what Oprah does that isn't noticed?  You don't...

Oprah has donated MILLIONS of dollars to various things, built schools in poor countries, etc.  When OPRAH does things like that...it is going to get noticed whether she likes it or not.  It was even more that way when she had her show.  There was very little a woman of Oprah's status can do without getting noticed by someone. 

What about Oprah's Leadership Academy for Girls?  She has put up $40,000,000 of her own money to get that Academy established.  What about in 2003 when she donated gifts at Christmas time for 50,000 children in South Africa so they could experience Christmas?  Did you know about the $10,000,000 of her own money she donated after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast?  What about the fund she set up at the same time for others to donate furniture and items for those in need?  Oprah's former charity, the Angel Network, was a HUGE charity and fund raiser.  She funded all administrative costs from the time it began in 1998 to the time it concluded in 2010.  Thus allowing every penny donated to go straight to charity.

What do you know about in 2000 when Oprah donated another $10,000,000 to enhance education for African children?  How about the garage sale, of her personal belongings, that raised $600,000 for one of her charities?

This was all after a simple and quick Google search...

Oprah's story is a fantastic one.  She went from nothing to being worth in excess of $2.9 billion per Forbes.  What she's done in between those points is even more spectacular.  I love Oprah and what she's done for society.  

Oprah is one of the most generous and charitable celebrities (or people in general) that you are going to find.  She has started and supported countless charities, donated her own money, her own time, to better the lives of others.

I wish that I was more like Oprah.

You couldn't be more wrong.  And from you- that is really saying something. 

Oprah has to give piles of money away in charity just to avoid giving it back to Uncle Sam in taxes.

Just imagine her income from investments and royalties.

Quote: :blink:

How do you know, in any way, what Oprah does that isn't noticed?  You don't...

Oprah has donated MILLIONS of dollars to various things, built schools in poor countries, etc.  When OPRAH does things like that...it is going to get noticed whether she likes it or not.  It was even more that way when she had her show.  There was very little a woman of Oprah's status can do without getting noticed by someone. 

What about Oprah's Leadership Academy for Girls?  She has put up $40,000,000 of her own money to get that Academy established.  What about in 2003 when she donated gifts at Christmas time for 50,000 children in South Africa so they could experience Christmas?  Did you know about the $10,000,000 of her own money she donated after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast?  What about the fund she set up at the same time for others to donate furniture and items for those in need?  Oprah's former charity, the Angel Network, was a HUGE charity and fund raiser.  She funded all administrative costs from the time it began in 1998 to the time it concluded in 2010.  Thus allowing every penny donated to go straight to charity.

What do you know about in 2000 when Oprah donated another $10,000,000 to enhance education for African children?  How about the garage sale, of her personal belongings, that raised $600,000 for one of her charities?

This was all after a simple and quick Google search...

Oprah's story is a fantastic one.  She went from nothing to being worth in excess of $2.9 billion per Forbes.  What she's done in between those points is even more spectacular.  I love Oprah and what she's done for society.  

Oprah is one of the most generous and charitable celebrities (or people in general) that you are going to find.  She has started and supported countless charities, donated her own money, her own time, to better the lives of others.

I wish that I was more like Oprah.

I'm not saying TMD is right or wrong, but everything you mentioned is on the internet.  A lot of the things she does is good PR for her.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but I think what he was saying is she isn't genuine in all her kind acts.

I'm glad she uses her money to help people all over.