Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Oprah - cool story

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014, 10:24 PM by Scarecrow.)

Quote:So would I, would make a good rental.

I already texted her for it so I've got dibs. My dog needs a new house.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I already texted her for it sonI've got dibs. My dog needs a new house.

Darn you scarecrow! Darn you!!!!

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014, 10:23 PM by Scarecrow.)

Quote:Darn you scarecrow! Darn you!!!!

He's looking for a roommate and the rent is cheap. He also enjoys cheap beer and donuts. Keep those on hand and he'd cut you a good deal. I'll let him negotiate your rent.

Quote:He's looking for a roommate and the rent is cheap.

Oh yeah? How cheap? Can I bring my pet chinchilla?

Quote:Oh yeah? How cheap? Can I bring my pet chinchilla?

Does he enjoy cheap beer and donuts?

Quote:Does he enjoy cheap beer and donuts?

Idk about the donuts but he LOVES beer no matter how much it costs

Quote:IMO Oprah is one of those people that when she's doing good deeds, always makes sure someone's watching. 

Genuine people do good deeds even when they do not benefit whatsoever, they just do them out of the goodness of their hearts.

WRONG AGAIN...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:I'm not saying TMD is right or wrong, but everything you mentioned is on the internet.  A lot of the things she does is good PR for her.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but I think what he was saying is she isn't genuine in all her kind acts.

I'm glad she uses her money to help people all over.

Opra is More than Generous in her acts of kindness. Her acts of giving also is more of a tax rite off than a PR move as well. I've known of no other billionaire that shares their wealth like "HARPO" does...

She's Genuine...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Opra is More than Generous in her acts of kindness. Her acts of giving also is more of a tax rite off than a PR move as well. I've known of no other billionaire that shares their wealth like "HARPO" does...

She's Genuine...

NH3...

Bill and Melinda Gates say Hi....
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:My only problem with her is knowing how she grew up and that poverty like that exists here in the States...why is she opening schools and taking care of other places when we got needs right here at home.

Oprah has addressed this, I believe. This country has resources to address many of the problems for which she has given funds. Many times all that is lacking is the will (political, emotional, spiritual) to get things done. She often gives to African causes because (other than the obvious "old country" ties) often those people are in the situation through no fault of their own (with the implication being that some people in the US could do more to help themselves.)

I'm paraphrasing of course - I don't want to put words in Winfrey's mouth. 

One last thing. Why is it so hard to give praise to someone who has given so much? Why the - "well, she gets a tax break you know."? Let me tell you, there a lot of easier ways she could take to lessen her tax liability. She's had to work her butt off to create these foundations and charities. She could just write a check, but she chooses to get involved.

Winfrey and I don't see eye to eye re politics - but hers is a unique and tremendous story. And what she has chosen to do with her success is as cool as how she got to the point of being so wealthy.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Oprah has addressed this, I believe. This country has resources to address many of the problems for which she has given funds. Many times all that is lacking is the will (political, emotional, spiritual) to get things done. She often gives to African causes because (other than the obvious "old country" ties) often those people are in the situation through no fault of their own (with the implication being that some people in the US could do more to help themselves.)

I'm paraphrasing of course - I don't want to put words in Winfrey's mouth. 

One last thing. Why is it so hard to give praise to someone who has given so much? Why the - "well, she gets a tax break you know."? Let me tell you, there a lot of easier ways she could take to lessen her tax liability. She's had to work her butt off to create these foundations and charities. She could just write a check, but she chooses to get involved.

Winfrey and I don't see eye to eye re politics - but hers is a unique and tremendous story. And what she has chosen to do with her success is as cool as how she got to the point of being so wealthy.

You have your opinion about her, and I will have mine. That's what makes the country such a great place.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I lost interest at "Oprah".

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:My only problem with her is knowing how she grew up and that poverty like that exists here in the States...why is she opening schools and taking care of other places when we got needs right here at home.

Oprah built a couple of schools within the U.S. prior to building that All Female school in Africa... Unless she goes on a world spending spree, they the rest of the world will always be behind w/respect to what she's accomplished in the U.S.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Bill and Melinda Gates say Hi....

Tell them that I said Hello...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Genuine people do good deeds when the spotlight is not on them. The only people that know are the ones directly involved. 

I don't know Oprah personally, but am skeptical when I see many of her charitable or philanthropic deeds happen in front of her audience and/or TV cameras, or the press, mass public or Hollywood types....I know she's far from the only famous (or regular)  person like this, so I am not meaning to single her out. 
I get what you are saying, but Oprah (and the more enlightened philanthropists) want to ensure that ALL the money they give goes to the intended recepients.  So the donations always look self-serving.  She could easily hand over large sums of cash to UNICEF or Save the Children or Make a Wish Foundation or ASPCA.  She is very opposed to those type of "charitable organizations" who always keep 20% or more. 

Look up the operating costs of the larger charities.  Check out what $$$ the CEO of The United Way or a similar organization took home from tax exempt charitable donations last year.  I will give you a hint- it is more than the President of the United States earns...

Quote:I get what you are saying, but Oprah (and the more enlightened philanthropists) want to ensure that ALL the money they give goes to the intended recepients.  So the donations always look self-serving.  She could easily hand over large sums of cash to UNICEF or Save the Children or Make a Wish Foundation or ASPCA.  She is very opposed to those type of "charitable organizations" who always keep 20% or more. 

Look up the operating costs of the larger charities.  Check out what $$$ the CEO of The United Way or a similar organization took home from tax exempt charitable donations last year.  I will give you a hint- it is more than the President of the United States earns...

Very True...

Oprah consistently monitors (bi-yearly visits while checking the books) ALL that ahe invests in. If the funds are misappropriated, she Pulls The Cork w/o hesitation...

NH3...
"AZANE"