Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Oprah - cool story

Quote:I'm not saying TMD is right or wrong, but everything you mentioned is on the internet.  A lot of the things she does is good PR for her.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but I think what he was saying is she isn't genuine in all her kind acts.

I'm glad she uses her money to help people all over. 

None of us know any of these people.  We think we do or at least like to think we do, but we really don't.  I did find it funny when TMD says she only gives when someone is watching, but then again, if she gave when no one was watching, how would you know...  Lol just a silly assertion.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I'm not saying TMD is right or wrong, but everything you mentioned is on the internet.  A lot of the things she does is good PR for her.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but I think what he was saying is she isn't genuine in all her kind acts.

I'm glad she uses her money to help people all over. 

Yes it's on the internet...as I said, nobody, let alone Oprah, is going to get away with doing all that without someone noticing.  Those are the things that are on the internet...I'm willing to bet their is plenty more that Oprah has done, likely on a smaller stage, that goes unnoticed. 

What TMD said was that Oprah is not a genuine person with her good deeds.  What I'm saying is he's going purely on assumption and TMD seems to often assume the worst in society. He's done it over and over regardless if he has any true knowledge of what he is speaking of.

Oprah may have done some of her things for PR, I can't say yes or no she hasn't, but I am not going to assume her good deeds are not genuine.  When you do that much...I find it hard to believe it's all for PR.

It is his opinion and I will let him have it but I strongly disagree with it.

Quote:Yes it's on the internet...as I said, nobody, let alone Oprah, is going to get away with doing all that without someone noticing. Those are the things that are on the internet...I'm willing to bet their is plenty more that Oprah has done, likely on a smaller stage, that goes unnoticed.

What TMD said was that Oprah is not a genuine person with her good deeds. What I'm saying is he's going purely on assumption and TMD seems to often assume the worst in society. He's done it over and over regardless if he has any true knowledge of what he is speaking of.

Oprah may have done some of her things for PR, I can't say yes or no she hasn't, but I am not going to assume her good deeds are not genuine. When you do that much...I find it hard to believe it's all for PR.

It is his opinion and I will let him have it but I strongly disagree with it.

Damn kids today *shakes fist*

Quote:IMO Oprah is one of those people that when she's doing good deeds, always makes sure someone's watching. 

Genuine people do good deeds even when they do not benefit whatsoever, they just do them out of the goodness of their hearts. 

I guess that's why nobody knows about your good deeds. They are done anonymously.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Best I just stay out of this thread

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->;

;

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014, 07:01 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I guess that's why nobody knows about your good deeds. They are done anonymously.

Genuine people do good deeds when the spotlight is not on them. The only people that know are the ones directly involved. 

Phonies always make sure they have an audience, or influential person around to see when they do their good deeds....and then when the camera is off of them or no one is around or they think no one is watching - they can be some of the worst people you'd ever seen. 

I don't know Oprah personally, but am skeptical when I see many of her charitable or philanthropic deeds happen in front of her audience and/or TV cameras, or the press, mass public or Hollywood types....I know she's far from the only famous (or regular)  person like this, so I am not meaning to single her out. 

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014, 07:02 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Genuine people do good deeds when the spotlight is not on them. The only people that know are the ones directly involved. 

Phonies always make sure they have an audience, or influential person around to see when they do their good deeds....and then when the camera is off of them or no one is around or they think no one is watching - they can be some of the worst people you'd ever seen. 

I don't know Oprah personally, but am skeptical when I see many of her charitable or philanthropic deeds happen in front of her audience and/or TV cameras, or the press, or Hollywood types....I know she's far from the only famous person like this, so I am not meaning to single her out. 

I doubt the recipients of Oprah's largess care very much about her motivation.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014, 07:11 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I doubt the recipients of Oprah's largess care very much about her motivation.

And I get that too....

I sometimes struggle between being skeptical about the motivation and just focusing on the act itself  because yes, I guess the most important thing is that someone less fortunate is benefiting.

Quote:None of us know any of these people.  We think we do or at least like to think we do, but we really don't.  I did find it funny when TMD says she only gives when someone is watching, but then again, if she gave when no one was watching, how would you know...  Lol just a silly assertion.

Keep in mind whenever she does charitable work, (not saying a house for dad is charitable work) it's a tax write off. She's got A LOT to write off to keep Uncle Sam off her tail.

Quote:I'll be honest, that was my thought. If I had as much cash as Oprah, my parents would be living in a $6mm mansion and could have whatever they wanted from me.

I don't think she had the best relationship with him growing up...I believe he wasn't around much, probably until she became OPRAH. If that's the case, he needs to be happy with the 1.4 million because she doesn't owe him anything.

Edited to add: after reading up on it, it was her mother who she didn't have the best relationship with.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Best I just stay out of this thread

You sense the evil too?

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Quote::blink:

How do you know, in any way, what Oprah does that isn't noticed?  You don't...

Oprah has donated MILLIONS of dollars to various things, built schools in poor countries, etc.  When OPRAH does things like that...it is going to get noticed whether she likes it or not.  It was even more that way when she had her show.  There was very little a woman of Oprah's status can do without getting noticed by someone. 

What about Oprah's Leadership Academy for Girls?  She has put up $40,000,000 of her own money to get that Academy established.  What about in 2003 when she donated gifts at Christmas time for 50,000 children in South Africa so they could experience Christmas?  Did you know about the $10,000,000 of her own money she donated after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast?  What about the fund she set up at the same time for others to donate furniture and items for those in need?  Oprah's former charity, the Angel Network, was a HUGE charity and fund raiser.  She funded all administrative costs from the time it began in 1998 to the time it concluded in 2010.  Thus allowing every penny donated to go straight to charity.

What do you know about in 2000 when Oprah donated another $10,000,000 to enhance education for African children?  How about the garage sale, of her personal belongings, that raised $600,000 for one of her charities?

This was all after a simple and quick Google search...

Oprah's story is a fantastic one.  She went from nothing to being worth in excess of $2.9 billion per Forbes.  What she's done in between those points is even more spectacular.  I love Oprah and what she's done for society.  

Oprah is one of the most generous and charitable celebrities (or people in general) that you are going to find.  She has started and supported countless charities, donated her own money, her own time, to better the lives of others.

I wish that I was more like Oprah.

I think his point is that you KNOW about all those things...

Quote:Keep in mind whenever she does charitable work, (not saying a house for dad is charitable work) it's a tax write off. She's got A LOT to write off to keep Uncle Sam off her tail.

Truth. 

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014, 08:25 PM by Scarecrow.)

Quote:I think his point is that you KNOW about all those things...

I didn't know about any of them until I looked them up...maybe he keeps better tabs on Oprah than I do.   :teehee:

I didn't know a lot of Oprah's background until this thread...glad I opened it.  She's had a different life than I initially had thought.

I guess my point in all of this is why TMD is "skeptical" about so many people and why is he "skeptical" of someone's good deeds.  

Yes she may be doing them for somewhat for tax purposes....but given Oprah's early life struggles, it strikes me as someone who has it all now but did not before.  Therefore she is helping those who are less fortunate than her and trying to help those that may be struggling as well.  She's not just dumping money into some random charity.  Her charitable donations seem to be more personal, if that makes sense.  She's creatine big charities, helpings tens of thousands of people, and allowing the chance for her good fortunes to better the lives of others.

I think this boils down to that TMD and I are looking at this differently...and I'm not saying I am right.  I'm saying I don't think either is going to sway their opinion one way or the other on this.

I also had no idea that she was worth almost $3 billion dollars.  Is she looking for a man?! I'm available.   :kiss:

Quote:Damn kids today *shakes fist*

Stay off my lawn!  

Quote:I didn't know about any of them until I looked them up...maybe he keeps better tabs on Oprah than I do.   :teehee:

I didn't know a lot of Oprah's background until this thread...glad I opened it.  She's had a different life than I initially had thought.

I guess my point in all of this is why TMD is "skeptical" about so many people and why is he "skeptical" of someone's good deeds.  

Yes she may be doing them for somewhat for tax purposes....but given Oprah's early life struggles, it strikes me as someone who has it all now but did not before.  Therefore she is helping those who are less fortunate than her and trying to help those that may be struggling as well.  She's not just dumping money into some random charity.  Her charitable donations seem to be more personal, if that makes sense.  She's creatine big charities, helpings tens of thousands of people, and allowing the chance for her good fortunes to better the lives of others.

I think this boils down to that TMD and I are looking at this differently...and I'm not saying I am right.  I'm saying I don't think either is going to sway their opinion one way or the other on this.

I also had no idea that she was worth almost $3 billion dollars.  Is she looking for a man?! I'm available.   :kiss:

My only problem with her is knowing how she grew up and that poverty like that exists here in the States...why is she opening schools and taking care of other places when we got needs right here at home.

Quote:Keep in mind whenever she does charitable work, (not saying a house for dad is charitable work) it's a tax write off. She's got A LOT to write off to keep Uncle Sam off her tail.

Yes therefore she can't win either way.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014, 10:04 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:My only problem with her is knowing how she grew up and that poverty like that exists here in the States...why is she opening schools and taking care of other places when we got needs right here at home.

yep, well stated. This country and the wealthy people of means that are citizens of it, should take care of its own first and foremost, just like any country should. Then, after you take care of your priorities here, then help out others that may be in need. 

If she doesn't want the 200k house, I'll take it. 

Quote:If she doesn't want the 200k house, I'll take it.
So would I, would make a good rental.