Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
David Letterman Retiring

According to reports, David Letterman will announce on tonight's broadcast of Late Night that he will be retiring some time in 2015. Late Night has been on CBS for 22 years, after 11 years on NBC.

I know Dave isn't for everyone, but I love the guy. His whacked sense of humor appeals to me. When his day time show debuted in the early 80s, it was a gift. I happened to be in circumstances that had me subjected to a lot of daytime TV. There was nothing better than my morning coffee and smoke while watching Dave with characters like Andy Kaufman, Larry "Bud" Melman and Chris Elliot. It was almost surreal.

Late Night has always been number one on my DVR recording priority list, and it will be until he's done.

I'll miss Dave, but wish him and Harry a happy life together.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Another legend leaving....sad. 

Damn...it's been 22 years since he left NBC??? Doesn't seem like that long ago!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:According to reports, David Letterman will announce on tonight's broadcast of Late Night that he will be retiring some time in 2015. Late Night has been on CBS for 22 years, after 11 years on NBC.

I know Dave isn't for everyone, but I love the guy. His whacked sense of humor appeals to me. When his day time show debuted in the early 80s, it was a gift. I happened to be in circumstances that had me subjected to a lot of daytime TV. There was nothing better than my morning coffee and smoke while watching Dave with characters like Andy Kaufman, Larry "Bud" Melman and Chris Elliot. It was almost surreal.

Late Night has always been number one on my DVR recording priority list, and it will be until he's done.

I'll miss Dave, but wish him and Harry a happy life together.

Quote:Damn...it's been 22 years since he left NBC??? Doesn't seem like that long ago!!

Read Bunny Honey, he's been with NBC 11 years He LEFT CBS after 22

You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

Quote:Read Bunny Honey, he's been with NBC 11 years He LEFT CBS after 22

I guess you got me, too....

because thats what I thought she said....

Quote:Read Bunny Honey, he's been with NBC 11 years He LEFT CBS after 22

I did read it. He's not on NBC anymore...he's now on CBS.

Edited to add...he started on CBS in 1993.

My Bad........ You're right

You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

Quote:My Bad........ You're right

It's okay!! :yes:

I'm fine with it.  He's turned into a bitter crotchety old man.

lolz

Hope they bring in Conan.

Yeah, Letterman was great for a long time, but over the past several years, he's gotten more and more bitter.  There was a time when it was cool to watch Dave, but those days are long gone. 

He got the shaft when NBC passed him over for the Tonight Show in favor of Leno despite Johnny Carson hand-picking him as his replacement.  When Dave went to CBS, it was like he was going against the establishment.  Like you mentioned, guys like Chris Elliot and Larry "Bud" Melman, Mujibur and Sirajul all became celebrities as a result of the show.  I remember going to NYC and sitting in the studio audience when he was at his peak, and it was a blast.  The entire experience from the show itself to being able to visit the gift shop and other stores who were made famous by the show was awesome. 

It will be interesting to see what CBS does.  It wouldn't surprise me to see them go after someone like Conan O'Brien. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Yeah, Letterman was great for a long time, but over the past several years, he's gotten more and more bitter. There was a time when it was cool to watch Dave, but those days are long gone.

He got the shaft when NBC passed him over for the Tonight Show in favor of Leno despite Johnny Carson hand-picking him as his replacement. When Dave went to CBS, it was like he was going against the establishment. Like you mentioned, guys like Chris Elliot and Larry "Bud" Melman, Mujibur and Sirajul all became celebrities as a result of the show. I remember going to NYC and sitting in the studio audience when he was at his peak, and it was a blast. The entire experience from the show itself to being able to visit the gift shop and other stores who were made famous by the show was awesome.

It will be interesting to see what CBS does. It wouldn't surprise me to see them go after someone like Conan O'Brien.
Yep. I used to watch Letterman religiously. It was a given since I was on second shift in his early days. Grab a couple of sixers after work and head over to my apartment with my friends and watch Dave. I think he started getting lame after he had his serious health problems. He just wasn't the same after that. I haven't watched in years.

Besides the celebrities, used to love some of the old bits. Stupid pet tricks. Stupid human tricks. Throwing stuff off a 10-story tower. Running things over with a locomotive.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM by Adam2012.)

Quote:Yeah, Letterman was great for a long time, but over the past several years, he's gotten more and more bitter.  There was a time when it was cool to watch Dave, but those days are long gone. 

He got the shaft when NBC passed him over for the Tonight Show in favor of Leno despite Johnny Carson hand-picking him as his replacement.  When Dave went to CBS, it was like he was going against the establishment.  Like you mentioned, guys like Chris Elliot and Larry "Bud" Melman, Mujibur and Sirajul all became celebrities as a result of the show.  I remember going to NYC and sitting in the studio audience when he was at his peak, and it was a blast.  The entire experience from the show itself to being able to visit the gift shop and other stores who were made famous by the show was awesome. 

It will be interesting to see what CBS does.  It wouldn't surprise me to see them go after someone like Conan O'Brien. 

I think you're right - Dave ain't what he used to be. But who is?

I'll be surprised if CBS goes after O'Brien. He's already perceived as having failed on NBC, and I think CBS will want someone seen as fresher, and perhaps younger.

As Albert Brooks tweeted, CBS is frantically looking for someone named Jimmy.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Yeah, Letterman was great for a long time, but over the past several years, he's gotten more and more bitter.  There was a time when it was cool to watch Dave, but those days are long gone. 

I envy your attendance at a Letterman show.

I feel like I've grown old and more cynical with Dave. I disagree that he is more bitter, he was always something of a grump. I still watch nearly every broadcast, and he still finds the same things funny. What I like about him most is he'll never fail to surprise.

Many New Yorkers will never forget this, and what it meant to them at that moment.

- Bob Marley

Quote:Another legend leaving....sad. 

He left a long, long time ago (as in having a good show.)  Like a lot of these guys, I liked them a lot more when we were younger.  Now, I don't watch them at all anymore.

I'll catch the replay of a good Conan or Fallon skit (or when he was on, the occasional Leno sound bite) as they hit the rounds on the interwebs.

In addition to FBTs mentions, one of my favorite old bits was Chris Elliot as the guy under the seats.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014, 10:42 PM by rollerjag.)

Classic Larry "Bud" Melman, greeting travelers arriving in New York.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKEQtR30rM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEBAGPmT3Wk

- Bob Marley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7zakdz3_6o

- Bob Marley

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 12:45 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Stephen Colbert announced as replacement for Letterman.

https://twitter.com/CBSTweet/status/454289049344176128

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7zakdz3_6o
Larry Bud Melman and the way he managed the microphone are a running joke to this day when talking to friends of mine.  "Welcome to New York, won't you please enjoy a hot towel!"  The scripting for him was brilliant. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]