Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coaching Candidates

Quote:So nobody in here believes in the Rooney Rule just like the owners eh?

Anthony Lynn.

Lovie Smith.
No commercial messages in sigs

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd love Payton or McDaniels

Quote:My problem with Haley is he is a hot head. He also for some reason has taken Antonio Brown out of the game plan.

Sure this year hasn't exactly gone according to script. But has been there and successful for a number of years.

This team may need someone capable of being a hot head. You also can't do that as often as HC vs OC and hopefully he learned from his head coaching gig at KC. 

Team needs someone with HC experience. I really don't want Coughlin and M. Smith, L. Smith, and Schwartz won't help the offense. 

See I would be worried with Payton Saints defenses have been awful since he's been there they had the super bowl year where they created turnovers and such but just been swiss cheese mostly.

Quote:Mike Smith, Sean Payton, or Josh Mcdaniels in my opinion should be the top 3 guys Caldwell tries to land with Mcdaniels being the 3rd option. 

Quote:Out of those 3, gimmie Payton.

No Fun

I don't want Coughlin as HC, but as Football ops, that'd be awesome. I'm happy Gus is gone, but the way it was done tells me Khan has no clue how to run the football side. Bring in a football ops guy, and let him decide if Caldwell should be kept. Then, hire the head coach once GM is decided.

My favorites for HC :

Mike Smith

Todd Haley

Josh McDaniels

Matt Patricia

David Shaw

Jim Harbaugh would be the dream candidate... won't happen though.
No commercial messages in sigs

I hate to say it, but for long term, the best thing for Jags is for Colts and Green Bay to make playoffs and hope both teams keep their HC. 

If either team fires their HC, they immediately become the No. 1 spot for any potential HC. 

Right now. It's probably Jaguars, Bills, & possibly Bengals (I don't see how Lewis keeps job this year. Not entirely his fault, but they missed their window.) 

Quote:Sure this year hasn't exactly gone according to script. But has been there and successful for a number of years.

This team may need someone capable of being a hot head. You also can't do that as often as HC vs OC and hopefully he learned from his head coaching gig at KC.

Team needs someone with HC experience. I really don't want Coughlin and M. Smith, L. Smith, and Schwartz won't help the offense.

Fair enough. I just worry about going from one extreme to the other.

I do agree with you on the candidates you listed except for Mike Smith if he had the right OC he could do well for us I feel.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

Quote:I don't want Coughlin as HC, but as Football ops, that'd be awesome. I'm happy Gus is gone, but the way it was done tells me Khan has no clue how to run the football side. Bring in a football ops guy, and let him decide if Caldwell should be kept. Then, hire the head coach once GM is decided.

My favorites for HC :

Mike Smith

Todd Haley

Josh McDaniels

Matt Patricia

David Shaw

I just don't see McDaniels taking a chance Bortles. I know there were reports he was the Patriot's target if he fell to them, but after the past few years you can tell he just does not have it. And this draft is not great for QB unless you really like Kiser or Watson who are both pretty risk.

Shaw and Harbaugh are at their alma maters. Would need huge money to leave, and both have said they will be staying before. Plus Shaw has never truly won anything. He did great when Luck was there, but afterwards, they always appear great and never meet expectations.

I'm just not that sold on Smith based on Atlanta. This team will rely on defense for a couple years. But would his system really make the defense better? They need pressure and a more aggressive scheme. I haven't seen Tampa this year to know if that is what he is creating now.

Not sold on Patricia. I know he is a details guy and film guy and all, but DC's from the Belichick line never pan out.

Quote:Fair enough. I just worry about going from one extreme to the other.

I do agree with you on the candidates you listed except for Mike Smith if he had the right OC he could do well for us I feel.

True, but who are they stealing for OC to head that up unless shifting the philosophy with HC.

Greg Roman? He would be new and different. Very high risk or reward though.

Norv Turner? When has he last had consistent success?

I can't even think of any others on the market right now or that we easily predict as available to fit that bill. 

Kyle Shanahan or Jim Bob Cooter.

Blake is gonna get the next one fired too

Quote:Blake is gonna get the next one fired too

After one year? Dont think so...

I believe Sean Payton is the best possible candidate.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Can we move this to the Jaguar forum?

Will Khan open the checkbook for Harbaugh?

Quote:I don't want Coughlin as HC, but as Football ops, that'd be awesome. I'm happy Gus is gone, but the way it was done tells me Khan has no clue how to run the football side. Bring in a football ops guy, and let him decide if Caldwell should be kept. Then, hire the head coach once GM is decided.

My favorites for HC :

Mike Smith

Todd Haley

Josh McDaniels

Matt Patricia

David Shaw

How is it that people forget the salary cap hell Coughlin put this team through? Not to mention his shaky track record in the draft after 1998? His strength is as a coach, not a front office guy.

Jim Bob is a guy who really is intriguingly! I feel like Khan will try to go after a Coughlin/Gruden/Payton type guy. Also,I wonder if we do get Coughlin is there a way where we could bring in a HC in waiting type of guy,bring in a guy like Jim Bob or Shanahan or Patricia to be HC in waiting,the coordinator,and make alot more than they do now.

The interview process would he interesting to listen to. I'd love to hear some brilliant minds ideas on turning this team around.

Quote:How is it that people forget the salary cap hell Coughlin put this team through? Not to mention his shaky track record in the draft after 1998? His strength is as a coach, not a front office guy.

I think the idea would be that he'd have input on the draft and free agency, but he wouldn't be the one actually negotiating the deals. Coughlin picked plenty of good players here, but he sold the future for the present and wasn't able to win a championship.

We'll see, but I still think it'll end up being Coughlin as the head coach.

I wouldn't be worried about bortles, he has one more year and if he doesn't show significant improvement he's gone. The new coach won't be tied to him and if Caldwell is smart he won't mandate that he needs to be the starter either