Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anyone work with Frito-Lay?

I've been trying to get one of those jobs as a route sales-rep, which is basically a merchandiser/ distributor of the product to the local stores...

It seems like they never have any openings for it, and when they do, they are short lived and my application never even garners an interview. 

While its early AM to start and you can work weekends and holidays in the summer, up to 60 hour weeks.....its decent money (over 50-70K) + good benefits. 

Have any of you ever done this work or know people in it? Is it like anything else where you pretty much have to know someone to get your foot in the door? 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I've been trying to get one of those jobs as a route sales-rep, which is basically a merchandiser/ distributor of the product to the local stores...

It seems like they never have any openings for it, and when they do, they are short lived and my application never even garners an interview.

While its early AM to start and you can work weekends and holidays in the summer, up to 60 hour weeks.....its decent money (over 50-70K) + good benefits.

Have any of you ever done this work or know people in it? Is it like anything else where you pretty much have to know someone to get your foot in the door?
Quick question. Do you use LinkedIn?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

How cute, TMD taking on the task of moving out of his mom's basement

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2014, 04:19 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Quick question. Do you use LinkedIn?

Can't say I do...

Quote:Can't say I do...
Get on LinkedIn dude. You need to build a network.

TMD I don't know about up north but I know down here merchandisers in general are being weeded out. With higher cost companies are looking to employees to do that work, rather then pay merchandisers to come in and do it for them.

At one point it was an excellent career choice, but like many other forms of work it's a dying dinosaur, probably why you're having such a hard time getting in.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Get on LinkedIn dude. You need to build a network.

What is it? I'm guessing you are on it, right? Did it help you land your current job in Jax? 

Quote:TMD I don't know about up north but I know down here merchandisers in general are being weeded out. With higher cost companies are looking to employees to do that work, rather then pay merchandisers to come in and do it for them.

At one point it was an excellent career choice, but like many other forms of work it's a dying dinosaur, probably why you're having such a hard time getting in.

Well this position with Frito Lay isn't a "merchandiser" but it does some of the duties that would have been that position. Its basically a sales/ delivery route - with a merchandiser you generally use your own car - with this you are using the company panel truck that you have to load prior to every shift with the next days deliveries. 

Quote:What is it? I'm guessing you are on it, right? Did it help you land your current job in Jax? 

Well this position with Frito Lay isn't a "merchandiser" but it does some of the duties that would have been that position. Its basically a sales/ delivery route - with a merchandiser you generally use your own car - with this you are using the company panel truck that you have to load prior to every shift with the next days deliveries. 

Yea and then you unload and merchandise the product, I know exactly what position your looking for. I was a manger at Walgreen's before getting into the automotive world, had an uncle that ran that route in the 90's in Tennessee as well. Even back in 2006 when I was still working for Walgreen's I had guys telling me they where thinning out the duties and cutting back on the number of merchandisers (that's what they called themselves back then) they employed company wide.

By taking away the merchandising side of it, they limit the time needed per delivery, essentially making that job a delivery job. And like all delivery job the company will consolidate as many routes as possible and find the cheapest way possible to get the product from point A to point B, it's a dying breed.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:What is it? I'm guessing you are on it, right? Did it help you land your current job in Jax? 

It's professional networking.  You always say that people get jobs because 'they know someone'.  Well it isn't by accident.  You have to build up a network of professionals and get your damn name out there.

This job, which is more money and bonus than I've ever earned in my life.....they came and found me....off of LinkedIn.  It doesn't cost anything.

+1 for LinkedIn

Every time I deal with a company I add the person to my network. After a few years I've built up enough of a network that I have no doubt I could make a pretty swift career change if I so desired. Actually, I've become close enough with some of them that I visit and/or vacation with them.

In regards to the OP: I had a friend that had the same position but with cereal. He said it was the easiest job he ever had (although we worked together in an industrial supplies warehouse prior so that's not saying much). 

I totally misread this title...

It is basically a more professional facebook.  A lot more professional. 

This thread had gold potential, but you guys were all helpful and stuff.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:This thread had gold potential, but you guys were all helpful and stuff.

I was waiting for the usual suspects to come in here and shred it, alas, nothing.

I don't know anyone that works there...but I really like their chips! Remember that if you do it a job there! :thumbsup:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I worked there once, I just applied, interviewed, and got the job. Nothing special. I was 20 at the time. 

Maybe you're just a baddie at life and that's why you aren't getting interviewed. 

Seriously though, maybe your resume is whacked(if you are submitting one of these that is, if not I highly recommend it), if you are poor at da grammah, or if you have anything on your record could hinder you as well. 

fagettabowdit

join a union

I've worked ON some Frito Lays a time or two. Big Grin

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Some Frito pie sounds good right now! :yes:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Some Frito pie sounds good right now! :yes:

Heh.

Heh heh heh.

Heh heh

Heh heh heh heh heh

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!