Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anyone work with Frito-Lay?

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2014, 11:18 AM by pirkster.)

Quote:I've been trying to get one of those jobs as a route sales-rep, which is basically a merchandiser/ distributor of the product to the local stores...

It seems like they never have any openings for it, and when they do, they are short lived and my application never even garners an interview. 

While its early AM to start and you can work weekends and holidays in the summer, up to 60 hour weeks.....its decent money (over 50-70K) + good benefits. 

Have any of you ever done this work or know people in it? Is it like anything else where you pretty much have to know someone to get your foot in the door? 
I helped my roomate get that exact job.

It's good work, and rewarding if you can hustle and don't game the system.  If you do, it will come bite you eventually.

Early rise, make good relationships with the stores you service, and be honest.  Make good orders, rotate your stock, and provide excellent service.  Simple principles, but takes hard work to get it going.  Once there, you can really grow.

Contacts, contacts, contacts.  You must find someone in the business to get your foot in the door, whether it's a store manager to vouch for you or someone already in Frito Lay.  LinkedIn (and any/every other professional network you can post your resume to) is a must.  Good luck.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Heh.

Heh heh heh.

Heh heh

Heh heh heh heh heh

Don't like Frito pie?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:I helped my roomate get that exact job.

It's good work, and rewarding if you can hustle and don't game the system.  If you do, it will come bite you eventually.

Early rise, make good relationships with the stores you service, and be honest.  Make good orders, rotate your stock, and provide excellent service.  Simple principles, but takes hard work to get it going.  Once there, you can really grow.

Contacts, contacts, contacts.  You must find someone in the business to get your foot in the door, whether it's a store manager or someone already in Frito Lay.  LinkedIn (and any/every other professional network you can post your resume to) is a must.  Good luck.

When you say don't game the system, what do you mean? I'm not familiar with it, so just would like some clarity, into what you mean. Also, when you say "make good orders" - I'm guessing the company wants you to order as much as possible whereas the store, as least as possible, right? How do you make them both happy? 

Quote:Don't like Frito pie?

I love it. I'm actually resisting making some for tonight!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:When you say don't game the system, what do you mean? I'm not familiar with it, so just would like some clarity, into what you mean. Also, when you say "make good orders" - I'm guessing the company wants you to order as much as possible whereas the store, as least as possible, right? How do you make them both happy? 

Don't pad your inventory/sales by pushing too much product into the stores.

Don't hide your stales by keeping them in stores backrooms and shelves.

Manage your inventory in a way that reduces shrink just like you'd manage your perishable inventory for a restaurant.  Keep yourself in sales by being in stock, but not overstocked that leads to spoilage (stales.)

Move your inventory from your slow stores to fast stores if it's getting short dated so you sell through.

Don't fake your out of dates by turning them into damages.

Etc... etc...

Lose the trust of the stores you service, and good luck getting them to help you out.

When you start you may be swing man during training (helping guys on routes instead of having only one of your own.)  Depending on who you work with, you'll learn the right and wrong way to do things quickly enough.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Don't like Frito pie?

I think he's imitating Beavis with the munchies.  

Man, I  haven't had Frito pie in ages.  This recipe from Emeril Lagasse looks heavenly.

Quote:I think he's imitating Beavis with the munchies.  

Man, I  haven't had Frito pie in ages.  This recipe from Emeril Lagasse looks heavenly.

Was recently in New Mexico where it's a fairly common super cheap happy hour special.  I did take advantage once.  My friends who made sour faces when I ordered it quickly helped it disappear rapidly.   It's one of those "so wrong, but so right" menu items.  An oddly glorious American bastardization. 

TMD - I think I have a cousin who does this job.  I'll ask him about it and get back to you. (and happy belated BD)

Quote:I love it. I'm actually resisting making some for tonight!

I love the stuff!! I got a text from my son the other day telling me that he was dying for some!! That's been one of his favorites since he was little!! :yes:

Quote:I was waiting for the usual suspects to come in here and shred it, alas, nothing.
It appears some tried though.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

I'm making some now.   Banana

I've never heard of a Frito Pie. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Quote:Heh.

Heh heh heh.

Heh heh

Heh heh heh heh heh
That's what I did too when I read that.

Quote:That's what I did too when I read that.

The term 'Frito Pie' is just inherently dirty.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I've never heard of a Frito Pie. I'll have to keep an eye out.

You can get fancy with it...but the basis is Fritos (duh) topped with chili then some cheese and maybe a dollop of sour cream.

Quote:I'm making some now.   Banana

I guess I started something! Big Grin

Quote:You can get fancy with it...but the basis is Fritos (duh) topped with chili then some cheese and maybe a dollop of sour cream.

Thanks, after googling Frito Pie, I think we just call them Frito Boats here. I was imagining something very different!

When I was a kid we used to go out to Cecil Field and go bowling.  Afterwards we'd always have some "Frito Pie"...I'm not sure it was called that but the description fits.

Huh