Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who should be Jaguars 2014 broadcast team?
Sexton and Lageman
Sexton and someonelse
Lageman and Someonelse
Other
who cares
[Show Results]

Jaguars 2013 radio broadcast team?

With the News that 1010xl and 99.9fm now jaguars official radio station.Do you think Brian Sexton and Jeff Lageman should remain broadcast team? I personally would like change.I've never been a Sexton fan and while I enjoy watching Lageman on jaguars all access and Jaguars.com game film work. His broadcasting needs work.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think it's fine...

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I get really tired of the Sexton enthusiasm like something big is happening then he has a huge sigh and says "and Maurice is taken down after a 2 yard gain" 

Anyone but sexton

Quote:Anyone but sexton
I certainly can't agree with "Anyone" because if Mick Hubert was calling Jags games I'd never listen to another one...OH MY!  Wallbash

Sexton is TERRIBLAWFUL.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2014, 10:58 PM by The Mad Dog.)

I want a Jaguars PBP announcer that sounds like he belongs in the NFL. Listen to Merrill Reese of the Eagles or Mike Keith of the Titans or Bob Papa of the NY Giants or Paul Allen of the Vikings.... and then listen to Sexton....its a clear downgrade. 

Sexton is very good as the host of the weekly Jags themed shows, though. I think thats what he should focus on.

Get a new "PBP voice of the Jags" though. 

Lageman is fantastic. I would be very upset if he was shown the door. His analysis of film is spot on.
We are Jaguars.

Quote:I certainly can't agree with "Anyone" because if Mick Hubert was calling Jags games I'd never listen to another one...OH MY!  Wallbash

I don't like Hubert or Sexton. He hands it off too Fred Taylor for a 2 yard game Oh my. I don't mind being excited but they both over do it. I've been Jaguars fan from expansion on and Gator fan since I was born July of 85 lol

I agree that Brian Sexton’s style is incredibly grating.  I absolutely can’t stand the way he gets so hyped up and hollers about a touchdown in garbage time, when the Jags are being beaten 24 – 7.   Having said that, I don’t wish the guy ill . . I just wish he’d stop doing that one particular thing.  As for Lages, I love the dude.  His insight and colour analysis is really enjoyable.

To be honest, I miss Cole Pepper being in the mix.  He was waaaaay better for Jags shows that Prisco.

;
"Help is not on the way." - Vic Ketchman

I've never liked Sexton.  He is just bland, bland, bland.  He can come off as a bit of an elitist at times too.  It would be nice to get someone with a little more personality and a more distinctive vocal style.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Lageman and someone else.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:I want a Jaguars PBP announcer that sounds like he belongs in the NFL. Listen to Merrill Reese of the Eagles or Mike Keith of the Titans or Bob Papa of the NY Giants or Paul Allen of the Vikings.... and then listen to Sexton....its a clear downgrade. 

Sexton is very good as the host of the weekly Jags themed shows, though. I think thats what he should focus on.

Get a new "PBP voice of the Jags" though. 
It doesnt matter if kermit the frog announced the game, the way they've been playing you are still going to be upset regardless.

We demand excellence on the field, and hopefully after this draft we'll start to see major progess.

Quote:I agree that Brian Sexton’s style is incredibly grating.  I absolutely can’t stand the way he gets so hyped up and hollers about a touchdown in garbage time, when the Jags are being beaten 24 – 7.   Having said that, I don’t wish the guy ill . . I just wish he’d stop doing that one particular thing.  As for Lages, I love the dude.  His insight and colour analysis is really enjoyable.

To be honest, I miss Cole Pepper being in the mix.  He was waaaaay better for Jags shows that Prisco.

Yeah, I was surprised they gave Pepper the boot. When I have heard Pepper on the shows, he sounded like he belonged there. 

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2014, 01:02 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I've never liked Sexton.  He is just bland, bland, bland.  He can come off as a bit of an elitist at times too.  It would be nice to get someone with a little more personality and a more distinctive vocal style.

Yep, agreed. Sexton has the type of voice/ style from a play by play announcer that you'd expect to hear from a local high school broadcast on the local cable channel. He's out of place in the big boy league. Just listen to other NFL team play by play guys, then listen to him. Ugh. 

Can sexton and boselli please!!!

Hacker, Balls, Prosser, Modica, Lamm, and Kuvaris all miked up.

Quote:I agree that Brian Sexton’s style is incredibly grating.  I absolutely can’t stand the way he gets so hyped up and hollers about a touchdown in garbage time, when the Jags are being beaten 24 – 7.   Having said that, I don’t wish the guy ill . . I just wish he’d stop doing that one particular thing.  As for Lages, I love the dude.  His insight and colour analysis is really enjoyable.

Based on these two posts, there's nothing Sexton can do to satisfy everyone.  You say he hypes up good moments even in a blowout, but then we have this:

Quote:I've never liked Sexton.  He is just bland, bland, bland.  He can come off as a bit of an elitist at times too.  It would be nice to get someone with a little more personality and a more distinctive vocal style.

He's too bland but overly hyped.  Interesting combination.

In reality, I'm fairly indifferent on Sexton. I've been listening to him for 20 years, and he is the voice of the Jaguars.  If they were to change things up, it would be a shame.  Brian is a good guy.  He does a lot in the community, and I think he has indeed developed a distinctive style that is unique to this team.  He can't help it that the product on the field the past few years is garbage.  There are times over the past few seasons where you could hear the frustration in his voice during the broadcast because the team has been so bad. 

Oddly enough, nobody was complaining about him when the team was doing well. 

I've never gotten the sense he's "elitist" at all.  If you've ever met the guy, you'd realize the exact opposite. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2014, 12:14 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Based on these two posts, there's nothing Sexton can do to satisfy everyone.  You say he hypes up good moments even in a blowout, but then we have this:

In reality, I'm fairly indifferent on Sexton.

In other words, you are sitting on the fence, again...

I've been listening to him for 20 years, and he is the voice of the Jaguars.  If they were to change things up, it would be a shame.  Brian is a good guy.  He does a lot in the community, and I think he has indeed developed a distinctive style that is unique to this team. 

He might be a "good" guy but the Jaguars aren't a "charity", they are an NFL football team. The play by play announcer of the team is essentially part of its "advertisement" of itself or team image, as his voice is heard league-wide on those weekly NFL shows with the calls. Khan is a smart businessman and seems to be more cognizant regarding image than Weaver was. I anticipate that Khan realizes that Sexton is sub-par by comparison to most other NFL PBP voices, and I suspect he'll upgrade within the next several years. He'll probably hope that Sexton just "steps down" so it won't look bad. An upgrade at PBP voice for the team would not be a "shame" , it would be great and it would reflect better upon the franchise. Not sure how you see Sexton's voice as "distinctive" unless you see milquetoast as distinctive. 

He can't help it that the product on the field the past few years is garbage.  There are times over the past few seasons where you could hear the frustration in his voice during the broadcast because the team has been so bad. 

Not true, some were, even back then. His being a good PBP announcer or not is independent of the team's success. He was just as much of an embarrassment back then as he is now. That he actually lasted almost 20 years, when in reality he's not that good, is sad. 

As I have said before, he is a pretty good host regarding those weekly Jags - themed shows on the radio, thats about it. 

I've never gotten the sense he's "elitist" at all.  If you've ever met the guy, you'd realize the exact opposite. 

Above answered in red. 

Quote:Based on these two posts, there's nothing Sexton can do to satisfy everyone.  You say he hypes up good moments even in a blowout, but then we have this:

In reality, I'm fairly indifferent on Sexton. I've been listening to him for 20 years, and he is the voice of the Jaguars.  If they were to change things up, it would be a shame.  Brian is a good guy.  He does a lot in the community, and I think he has indeed developed a distinctive style that is unique to this team.  He can't help it that the product on the field the past few years is garbage.  There are times over the past few seasons where you could hear the frustration in his voice during the broadcast because the team has been so bad. 

I've never met him but he can be dismissive of callers to the radio show when they have valid points and has a habit of being pedantic.  Maybe he's the nicest person in the world personally, I dunno.  All I can comment on is how he comes across on the radio.  I've said this from time to time over the years whether we were winning or not.  As to his voice, he has no control over that but it would be nice to get someone with a more distinctive quality to his voice, ala Deckerhoff, etc. 

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.