Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Houston Chronicle's John McClain doesnt see Texans going Clowney

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2014, 10:34 PM by J-Mizzal.)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...ytime-soon

He says he would be shocked if they do go Clowney, he just doesnt fit the defense, also says they likely will keep Schaub and draft a QB, points out all the connections to Blake Brotles but says the other 2 are in the race Bridgewater and Manziel not Carr.

It makes sense as bad as Schaub was last year he is still better then whats out there and could be a bridge to their rookie QB, I would not be surprised if Houston says who they are picking before the draft, Brotles seems like a no brainier.  

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Sounds very good, Houston gets a project in Bortles and we have our pick between baby A-Rod or Reggie White 2.0

Just thinking about it, its Pancakes though. He was telling everyone Houston was getting Vince Young too

Quote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...ytime-soon

He says he would be shocked if they do go Clowney, he just doesnt fit the defense, also says they likely will keep Schaub and draft a QB, points out all the connections to Blake Brotles but says the other 2 are in the race Bridgewater and Manziel not Carr.

It makes sense as bad as Schaub was last year he is still better then whats out there and could be a bridge to their rookie QB, I would not be surprised if Houston says who they are picking before the draft, Brotles seems like a no brainier.  

[Image: bruydd8.gif]

I hope so, I think the Rams stay at 2 and take Watkins.  They need to stop clownin around

What Necro said. John McClain is consider a joke when it comes to insights on the Texans. I would say take anything he says and assume the opposite, but even a blind squirrel sometimes find an nut.

Still best case scenario for us is Texans draft Bortles. He's not ready, he's not that good. A Clowney that cares + Watt could be painful. Teddy being the best QB in the AFCS would also hurt. Hope Texans fall in love with Bortles' prototype build

Quote:Still best case scenario for us is Texans draft Bortles. He's not ready, he's not that good. A Clowney that cares + Watt could be painful. Teddy being the best QB in the AFCS would also hurt. Hope Texans fall in love with Bortles' prototype build
As the guy said, Clowney doesn't fit their system, and neither does Watt really. Having both of them there doesn't make sense. People just throw out a Watt+Clowney combo while ignoring how the system actually works.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:As the guy said, Clowney doesn't fit their system, and neither does Watt really. Having both of them there doesn't make sense. People just throw out a Watt+Clowney combo while ignoring how the system actually works.

I get what you're saying... but on the other hand... Watt certainly seems to "work" for a guy that doesn't "fit"....

It's the players that matter most.  The elite thrive in any system.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I get what you're saying... but on the other hand... Watt certainly seems to "work" for a guy that doesn't "fit"....

It's the players that matter most.  The elite thrive in any system.
But then you have to wonder if Clowney will give them full effort in a system that isn't best suited for him or will he use that as an excuse to "save himself" for his second more lucrative contract?

His red flags and him not being an exact fit may make Houston feel that he is too risky for them with the number one pick. If they can find interest, they may rather deal the pick.

Quote:But then you have to wonder if Clowney will give them full effort in a system that isn't best suited for him or will he use that as an excuse to "save himself" for his second more lucrative contract?

His red flags and him not being an exact fit may make Houston feel that he is too risky for them with the number one pick. If they can find interest, they may rather deal the pick.
If he's 'saving himself' for a lucrative second contract, who in their right mind is going to give him a lucrative second contract?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Why doesn't Clowney fit? If you can't make a talent like that fit in your defense then you need to switch defenses.

I think he is a fit in any scheme though.

Quote:Why doesn't Clowney fit? If you can't make a talent like that fit in your defense then you need to switch defenses.

I think he is a fit in any scheme though.

Yeah. I don't worry about that.

The guy can save the Nakatomi hostages but I don't know about his call on this one.

Quote:If he's 'saving himself' for a lucrative second contract, who in their right mind is going to give him a lucrative second contract?
Who in their right mind would draft a player number one who took the last season off?

The Haynesworth model. Perform in your contract year and become one of the highest paid players of all time.

Quote:But then you have to wonder if Clowney will give them full effort in a system that isn't best suited for him or will he use that as an excuse to "save himself" for his second more lucrative contract?

I wouldn't worry about that.  At all.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/14/jadeveon-cl...raft-2014/

“He’s not a J.J. Watt,” McNair said. “You know, J.J. didn’t have that natural ability. He worked. He developed his [abilities]. And one of the things I said to J.J., I said, ‘J.J., I don’t know what will happen, but if we get Clowney, we want you to instill in him the same kind of work habits that you have.’ He said, ‘If he’s in the same room with me, then he’ll have them.’”

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Houston is getting Clowney, would be shocked if they choose anybody else (besides Bridgewater)

Quote:I wouldn't worry about that.  At all.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/14/jadeveon-cl...raft-2014/

“He’s not a J.J. Watt,” McNair said. “You know, J.J. didn’t have that natural ability. He worked. He developed his [abilities]. And one of the things I said to J.J., I said, ‘J.J., I don’t know what will happen, but if we get Clowney, we want you to instill in him the same kind of work habits that you have.’ He said, ‘If he’s in the same room with me, then he’ll have them.’”
LOL...just because he may possibly be on the same team with J.J doesn't mean he'll inherit the same work ethic.  His talent is obvious, but the red flag is real.  I just can't go all-in on a prospect who obvious didn't give his best effort in college.  Just imagine what happens when he gets his NFL money and find out that he doesn't fit the system. 

I said it many times before, and I'll say it again, Clowney will not live up to the hype his rookie year.

Clowney and Watt is too good of a duo to pass up. Clowney may have some motivation issues, but you better believe Watt is going to be all over him constantly. I think if the two are put together, Clowney will want to be better than Watt and will work hard. So I really hope they go Bortles/Manziel

"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Mel Kiper's latest mock has Houston taking Mack 1st overall.