Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Brandon Browner

Quote:Serious clownery in this post. Overrated? This is a man who led the league is passes defended in 2012 and at several points had people asking if he was better than Sherman. He would easily become the best member of our secondary and I believe he still has about 3 more years as a top corner. Also he run about a 4.6 40, which isn't ideal, but it doesn't hurt him because he plays a PHYSICAL CB.
He ran a 4.67 coming out of college in 2005. Seven years does not make you faster.

I never said that the guy wasn't good, but there's some Dave Thomas Syndrome going on there. If you surround an average to above-average player with elite talent all around him, he's going to look like a better player than he is. Put Browner in the Jags' D, which is still working through some serious growing pains, and his athletic limitations will show up. They'll only get worse as his contract drags on.

If we had Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor in the defensive backfield, I'd be all for signing Browner, but I doubt he holds up as the primary corner for someone.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He ran a 4.67 coming out of college in 2005. Seven years does not make you faster.

I never said that the guy wasn't good, but there's some Dave Thomas Syndrome going on there. If you surround an average to above-average player with elite talent all around him, he's going to look like a better player than he is. Put Browner in the Jags' D, which is still working through some serious growing pains, and his athletic limitations will show up. They'll only get worse as his contract drags on.

If we had Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor in the defensive backfield, I'd be all for signing Browner, but I doubt he holds up as the primary corner for someone.

Sure, he plays around elite talent, but that only leads to him getting targeted more, which has allowed him to excel because he's so physical and smart that he's extremely tough to beat, even 1 on 1, which is very rare for any CB. Also, he does an awesome job of punching the ball out and is absolutely a perfect scheme fit. Best of all, he will come at a significantly reduced contract. I don't see how you guys can't be on board with this.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:Sure, he plays around elite talent, but that only leads to him getting targeted more, which has allowed him to excel because he's so physical and smart that he's extremely tough to beat, even 1 on 1, which is very rare for any CB. Also, he does an awesome job of punching the ball out and is absolutely a perfect scheme fit. Best of all, he will come at a significantly reduced contract. I don't see how you guys can't be on board with this.
There is not a single argument for Browner over Thurmond though, except for salary possibly. Thurmond is younger, better, not suspended to start the year, not coming off many injuries, also knows and fits the scheme well...

Quote:There is not a single argument for Browner over Thurmond though, except for salary possibly. Thurmond is younger, better, not suspended to start the year, not coming off many injuries, also knows and fits the scheme well...

While I think Thurmond would still be a terrific pick-up, I disagree that he would be better than Browner. Not to knock Thurmond at all, but he was primarily used as a 3rd CB and Browner is a legit #1 option and would be on almost any other team in the league.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:Sure, he plays around elite talent, but that only leads to him getting targeted more, which has allowed him to excel because he's so physical and smart that he's extremely tough to beat, even 1 on 1, which is very rare for any CB. Also, he does an awesome job of punching the ball out and is absolutely a perfect scheme fit. Best of all, he will come at a significantly reduced contract. I don't see how you guys can't be on board with this.
Well, for one, he's a 30-year-old cornerback who runs a 4.7 on a good day, and is made to look better by the all-world talent around him. Seriously, Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor are all top-three at their positions. The Seahawks have so much talent on their entire defense that it's hard not to knock the evaluation of any one guy down a bit as a result. Browner is still a good corner, but he's the least of Seattle's starters in the secondary. And I'm not so sure about that whole "significantly reduced contract" thing. I think you're overestimating the effect that suspension will have on his value. Just means that whoever signs him will want some incentives on that $8M/year deal and guarantees protecting them if he gets a lifetime ban.

Thurmond is younger, but I'm not sure what the love-fest for him here is. He was Seattle's fourth-best cornerback. He's got more upside than Alan Ball or Will Blackmon, yeah, but it's not like we'd be adding a sure-fire stud with him. I'm not opposed to signing Thurmond if the price is right, but I'd have a hard time getting on board with spending any kind of large sum of money on Browner.

Quote:Well, for one, he's a 30-year-old cornerback who runs a 4.7 on a good day, and is made to look better by the all-world talent around him. Seriously, Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor are all top-three at their positions. The Seahawks have so much talent on their entire defense that it's hard not to knock the evaluation of any one guy down a bit as a result. Browner is still a good corner, but he's the least of Seattle's starters in the secondary. And I'm not so sure about that whole "significantly reduced contract" thing. I think you're overestimating the effect that suspension will have on his value. Just means that whoever signs him will want some incentives on that $8M/year deal and guarantees protecting them if he gets a lifetime ban.

Thurmond is younger, but I'm not sure what the love-fest for him here is. He was Seattle's fourth-best cornerback. He's got more upside than Alan Ball or Will Blackmon, yeah, but it's not like we'd be adding a sure-fire stud with him. I'm not opposed to signing Thurmond if the price is right, but I'd have a hard time getting on board with spending any kind of large sum of money on Browner.

You keep making up this 4.7 and presenting it as fact, when he actually runs much closer to a 4.6 on an average day (not that it matters because he is a physical CB like I already stated). If the price nears anywhere close to the 8 mil a year range then obviously we should steer way, way clear, but he's currently listed as a fourth-tier free agent by NFL.com and many teams will write him off from the start due to his suspension. The market on him will probably be luke-warm and I doubt his actual deal will approach any more than about 3.5-4 mil a year. Lastly, yes he is 30, but as I said, he plays a physical style of CB, so as long as he stays in shape he won't experience the sharp level of decline that many DB's face. As for Thurmond, he's a very solid CB in his own right, but I think he will command around 6-7 mil a year which is a number we should balk at. It all comes down money/years, especially for a rebuilding team like us and I think that Browner will be the perfect combination of talent and value. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up here.

I say 4.7 because he ran a 4.67 in shorts nine years ago. I'm not making anything up.

Speaking of making stuff up, where are your dollar values for Browner and Thurmond coming from? My $8M/year for Browner is based upon Brent Grimes, who is also an aging cornerback, signing a 4 year, $32M deal with the Dolphins this week.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2014, 02:02 AM by jagsfreak27.)

Quote:I say 4.7 because he ran a 4.67 in shorts nine years ago. I'm not making anything up.

Speaking of making stuff up, where are your dollar values for Browner and Thurmond coming from? My $8M/year for Browner is based upon Brent Grimes, who is also an aging cornerback, signing a 4 year, $32M deal with the Dolphins this week.

He ran a 4.54 at the combine actually. Grimes doesn't have two strikes, nor is he ineligible for the first 4 games of next season.

Ourlads says 4.67, combine results say 4.63. We're splitting hairs here; the dude is slow. I don't think he's a worthwhile addition to a young team stockpiling young talent, and I think that adding yet another guy who's one pee test away from a lifetime ban is, well, a really bad idea.

Quote:Ourlads says 4.67, combine results say 4.63. We're splitting hairs here; the dude is slow. I don't think he's a worthwhile addition to a young team stockpiling young talent, and I think that adding yet another guy who's one pee test away from a lifetime ban is, well, a really bad idea.

His combine low was 4.54 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsp...&genpos=CB I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I think he would make a very worthy addition, at a fair price. I guess we will see.