Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What would it take to get Alex Mack?

The Browns are saying he's their #1 priority to re-sign, but what if the Jaguars can entice him with a better offer?

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

What would it take to get Alex Mack? ...more money than the other guy is offering.

Dave Caldwell: Cut the check.

[Image: giphy.gif]

A Kismet sized contract.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Moolah

Gusjuice

If it was a one or the other, would you choose Mack or Byrd? 

Mack seems pretty firm on staying in Cleveland and they have a ton of cap space.

Quote:If it was a one or the other, would you choose Mack or Byrd?

Mack.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Mack.

Given the other options for Center in FA and the draft, I think I'd choose Jairus Byrd of the 2. He's a proven ball hawking Safety and one of the few available this offseason. He's a pivotal type of player for this defense. 

Or just be realistic and know that Mack isn't leaving the Browns, and Dave isn't going to be giving Byrd the biggest contract ever given to a safety to bring him to Jax.

Just don't set yourself up to be disappointed and angry at something that at best had 1% chance of happening. 

Quote:Or just be realistic and know that Mack isn't leaving the Browns, and Dave isn't going to be giving Byrd the biggest contract ever given to a safety to bring him to Jax.

Just don't set yourself up to be disappointed and angry at something that at best had 1% chance of happening. 

Ok, well then, shoot....if we're going down the "realistic route"...

then get ready for another 4-12/ 5-11 type season next year because thats pretty realistic, too....

Wonderful. 

Go team!....

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2014, 12:28 PM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:Ok, well then, shoot....if we're going down the "realistic route"...

then get ready for another 4-12/ 5-11 type season next year because thats pretty realistic, too....

Wonderful. 

Go team!....
Next year is year two of a complete and massive rebuild (hell Dave calls it a build and not a rebuild even...because there wasn't anything built to tear down in the first place) that will feature Chad Henne or a rookie QB. So yes, 4-12/5-11 is what is pretty realistic. This is football not the miracle network. 

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2014, 12:32 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Next year is year two of a complete and massive rebuild that will feature Chad Henne or a rookie QB. So yes, 4-12/5-11 is what is pretty realistic. This is football not the miracle network. 

Yes, but adding a player like Byrd would be such a boost to this defense, that addition alone could mean an additional 1-2 wins by itself. Given that we are amongst the most cap room and this is a top level player, I don't understand the problem here with this team making a strong push to get this player....

In our situation, it is totally justifiable to expect us to get him. 

In todays NFL quick turnarounds are the norm (when the right people are hired) moreso than not. Free agency allows/ helps that.

You are either stuck in the past, or you have no confidence in this organization so you don't expect anything meaningful to happen.  

Quote:You are either stuck in the past, or you have no confidence in this organization so you don't expect anything meaningful to happen.  
You're right I don't expect anything "meaningful" to happen. I expect a couple more years of draft and develop, high roster churn, and moderate with upside scheme specific FAs like Marks...you know pretty much exactly what Dave and Gus have said will happen since day 1.  Year 1 went exactly like they outlined and the results were very good. Two or so more years of that, and hitting on whoever Dave pegs as his franchise QB, and we'll be competing for years and years and years.

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2014, 12:40 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:You're right I don't expect anything "meaningful" to happen. I expect a couple more years of draft and develop, high roster churn, and moderate with upside scheme specific FAs like Marks...you know pretty much exactly what Dave and Gus have said will happen since day 1.  Year 1 went exactly like they outlined and the results were very good. Two or so more years of that, and hitting on whoever Dave pegs as his franchise QB, and we'll be competing for years and years and years.

I really liked the Mark's signing/ addition...

That said,....to expect THAT kind of result every year from that level FA is more unlikely than the Jags landing both Orakpo/ Byrd, lol Laughing

Quote:I really liked the Mark's signing/ addition...

That said,....to expect THAT kind of result every year from that level FA is more unlikely than the Jags landing both Orakpo/ Byrd, lol Laughing
Marks, Ball, and Hayes all outperformed their contracts (according to PFF at least), and Roy Miller would have too if he had been healthy all year. Forsett and MoMass were disappointments. That's a very healthy ratio I believe.

Quote:Marks, Ball, and Hayes all outperformed their contracts (according to PFF at least), and Roy Miller would have too if he had been healthy all year. Forsett and MoMass were disappointments. That's a very healthy ratio I believe.

Ball & Hayes overall while decent, were nothing special and didn't affect the W/L record. This team would have had the same record with or without them. 

Marks I'll give you. That was an exceptional signing. But not one to expect to find every single offseason. 

Quote:Ball & Hayes overall while decent, were nothing special and didn't affect the W/L record. This team would have had the same record with or without them. 

Marks I'll give you. That was an exceptional signing. But not one to expect to find every single offseason. 
Ball and Will Blackmon (who for all intents and purposes could count as a FA) were the two most undervalued players on the entire team, again according to PFF because there is no real better way to judge it on our level. Ball was a top 20 corner overall and Blackmon wasn't far behind that.  

I do think Dave is going to go jump a little harder in FA this year, again along the Houston/Worilds level, but it was always a pure pipedream to expect record breaking FA contracts from Dave. 

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2014, 01:04 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Ball and Will Blackmon (who for all intents and purposes could count as a FA) were the two most undervalued players on the entire team, again according to PFF because there is no real better way to judge it on our level. Ball was a top 20 corner overall and Blackmon wasn't far behind that.  

I do think Dave is going to go jump a little harder in FA this year, again along the Houston/Worilds level, but it was always a pure pipedream to expect record breaking FA contracts from Dave. 

lol with the continued forced angle of "record breaking contracts" regarding Byrd/ Orakpo etc....the top players in FA usually set that level every single year, and then it quickly is topped by the next crop of FA's. 

As said, you usually get what you pay for, so if we avoid players like the above 2, then don't expect significant improvement in those areas, hence expect less overall improvement. Go team.