Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What would it take to get Alex Mack?

Quote:The Browns have a lot of cap room and have said he's their #1 priority several times. What the transition tag means in this case is the Browns are just going to sit back and let another team do their negotiating for them, and then they will simply match the offer sheet.

That makes sense, thanks.

There may be better value at center if the Browns are going to throw that much money at him. He would be nice to have but like with any FA the cost can too far exceed the value he would provide. Would love to see him in teal and black though.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:We've done this before, and the trouble is, the original team has 5 days to decide if they want to match the offer, so that means the team that signs him is left hanging without knowing if they got him.   Meanwhile, other free agents are on the market and you don't know if you've successfully hired a new center or not.   So suppose you had another free agent center in mind if you could not sign Mack.  You're sitting there twiddling your thumbs for five days not knowing if you have Mack or not.   And then the other guy signs elsewhere while you are sitting there unable to make an offer because you might get Mack.

You can provide contractual disincentives to dissuade Cleveland from matching. I know Seattle and Minnesota had this sort of free agent rivalry where they would sign a free agent from the other team by putting poison pills in the deal. In this case, a clause requiring Mack to be the highest paid player on the o line (knowing Cleveland has stud LT Joe Thomas)...or something more complicated could keep the Browns from matching.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:You can provide contractual disincentives to dissuade Cleveland from matching. I know Seattle and Minnesota had this sort of free agent rivalry where they would sign a free agent from the other team by putting poison pills in the deal. In this case, a clause requiring Mack to be the highest paid player on the o line (knowing Cleveland has stud LT Joe Thomas)...or something more complicated could keep the Browns from matching.

As a result of the 2011 CBA,  it looks like it's going to be much more difficult to come up with overt poison pills:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...son-pills/

C'mon Mack.  Tell the Cleveland fans you are taking your talents to Jax Beach.

Quote:C'mon Mack.  Tell the Cleveland fans you are taking your talents to Jax Beach.
That's a little more difficult now. The Jaguars would have to dramatically overspend on a center to get an offer that Cleveland wouldn't match. Poison pills are out the window. If he were a left tackle, sure, go get him and spend ALL the dollars doing it. Thing is, he's a center. Centers aren't worth $10M/year.

Quote:  As a result of the 2011 CBA,  it looks like it's going to be much more difficult to come up with overt poison pills:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...son-pills/

Yes.  I am corrected.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2014, 07:29 AM by leopold332002.)

Get it done dave caldwell 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:C'mon Mack.  Tell the Cleveland fans you are taking your talents to Jax Beach.
lol. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Don't we still have a gift card or store credit from Cleveland for taking Dennis Northcutt?
Only a chump boos the home team!

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2014, 09:47 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:Don't we still have a gift card or store credit from Cleveland for taking Dennis Northcutt?

According to Alfie at the time of the acquisition, it was a great move by the Jags.  We didn't need to go after problem children like Randy Moss & T.O.

Quote:I really liked the Mark's signing/ addition...

That said,....to expect THAT kind of result every year from that level FA is more unlikely than the Jags landing both Orakpo/ Byrd, lol Laughing

Marks did a good job for us, but I'm not sure why it's unreasonable to expect more like that.  There are a lot of FA every year, and if you target those who you think are good scheme fits for you, occasionally one will pan out.

Quote:You can provide contractual disincentives to dissuade Cleveland from matching. I know Seattle and Minnesota had this sort of free agent rivalry where they would sign a free agent from the other team by putting poison pills in the deal. In this case, a clause requiring Mack to be the highest paid player on the o line (knowing Cleveland has stud LT Joe Thomas)...or something more complicated could keep the Browns from matching.

Didn't Seattle put something into a contract similar to there would be a ridiculous pay hike if half of the games played were in Minnesota, something along those lines?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Didn't Seattle put something into a contract similar to there would be a ridiculous pay hike if half of the games played were in Minnesota, something along those lines?

Yes...but apparently they have been eliminated.

Cleveland has enough cap room that it wouldn't matter, but we could structure the salaries in a poison pill manner. As long as the contract would be the same for the other team (Cleveland in this case), it's legal.

Alex Mack is a good player.

If Cleveland hangs onto him, we'll make 'em pay.

A lot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...out-there/

I wonder if we have called this guy yet?

Wouldn't hurt putting in a bid.  Sounds like he's fed up with the shenanigans in CLE.  Wost thing that can happen is they match, driving up the amount of CLEs check.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Wouldn't hurt putting in a bid. Sounds like he's fed up with the shenanigans in CLE. Wost thing that can happen is they match, driving up the amount of CLEs check.
i am sure we at leat do that

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2014, 12:31 PM by Bullseye.)

More Alex Mack talk...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...r_ale.html

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.s...ns_12.html