Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jairus Byrd - Go get him, Jacksonville!

per rotoworld: 

WGR 550 Buffalo reports the Bills are unlikely to re-sign or use the franchise tag on free agent FS Jairus Byrd.

"The two sides have had productive discussions, and while things could change, it seems at this point that the two sides will split," writes Jeremy White. White's colleague, Joe Buscaglia, is arguably the top Bills beat reporter and adds that the Bills "explored all their options, including a trade." GM Doug Whaley shot a "substantial offer" Byrd's way, but the 27-year-old seems intent on testing the market. The deadline for the Bills to use the franchise tag is Monday at 4 PM. Byrd is the top free-agent safety available.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 02:45 PM by The Mad Dog.)

My comment on this would be that he should be one of our top priorities in FA when it begins March 11. The ball-hawking Free-Safety is one of the most important facets of Gus Bradley's D. Byrd would be the Earl Thomas of this defense. 

Go get him, Caldwell!!!

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 02:56 PM by The Mad Dog.)

My prediction, btw, is that Byrd lands on the Jaguars or Eagles. Both could strongly use a FS with his skill set and have amongst the most available cap space in the league to get a deal done. 

Highly unlikely. But, hey, at least you'll have something new to moan about - besides the tinhorns linebackers coach being better than our deadbeat staff. 

I'd love for us to sign him, sadly, I just can't see Caldwell going after him. He turned down a deal with the Bills that would have made him the highest paid safety in the league. Either he hates Buffalo, wants more money, or both. I just don't see us shelling out the cash for Byrd. Would be nice, but Caldwell is dead set on building through the draft. Josh Evans seems to have Caldwells confidence. Look for us to use our cash to sign middle tier interior linemen 

"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Quote:Highly unlikely. But, hey, at least you'll have something new to moan about - besides the tinhorns linebackers coach being better than our deadbeat staff. 

Highly unlikely what?

If its us signing him, then why? There no good reason why the Jaguars shouldn't make a strong run at this player. 

Quote:I'd love for us to sign him, sadly, I just can't see Caldwell going after him. He turned down a deal with the Bills that would have made him the highest paid safety in the league. Either he hates Buffalo
, wants more money, or both. I just don't see us shelling out the cash for Byrd. Would be nice, but Caldwell is dead set on building through the draft. Josh Evans seems to have Caldwells confidence. Look for us to use our cash to sign middle tier interior linemen 

Methinks that probably plays a part. (maybe "hates" is too strong of a word, but with money being equal, I think he'd choose elsewhere. 

Quote:Highly unlikely what?

If its us signing him, then why? There no good reason why the Jaguars shouldn't make a strong run at this player. 
I read an article a few weeks ago that quoted Byrd talking (arrogantly)  about getting paid.  While the Jags have money to spend - I think the contract Byrd is seeking lies outside the lines of Caldwell's free agency philosophy.   

I think Byrd is just as likely as any other top tier FA is. How likely any top tier guys are, who knows, but:

We need a FS capable of playing Cover 1 and Bradley also seems to have a soft spot for secondary players. I also think they'd like Josh Evans to be backing up both safety spots, rather than starting at FS.

If Byrd is serious about being the highest paid safety in the game though, I think that would put a huge damper on signing him, IMO.

Quote:I think the contract Byrd is seeking lies outside the lines of Caldwell's free agency philosophy.

I see it as the same. I really doubt Caldwell ever makes anyone the highest paid at their position.

Quote:I read an article a few weeks ago that quoted Byrd talking (arrogantly)  about getting paid.  While the Jags have money to spend - I think the contract Byrd is seeking lies outside the lines of Caldwell's free agency philosophy.   

I'd rather overpay a player like this than the Clint Session's and Tony Pashos of the world, who had no elite part of their skill set at all. Byrd is an elite ball hawk from the position. Yes, please. Thats an important part of the Bradley defense thats missing. 

Quote:I see it as the same. I really doubt Caldwell ever makes anyone the highest paid at their position.

So, instead lets overpay for "average" level talent?? 

We have amongst the most cap money available, and Byrd is one of the more talented players at his position available in FA,....

You & NYC get outta here with that above crap. 

I can see not overpaying mediocre to average talent, but I am so tired of the mindset around here to avoid spending a little extra (or a lot extra) whatever, for legitimately talented players like Byrd when the opportunity presents itself, like now apparently. 

I'll admit, Byrd would instantly make our defense better and allow us to play more like Seattle's d, but I just don't see us spending that much money. Even though we have it, Caldwell (while it seems infuriating) sticks to his philosophy of building through the draft and signing mid level FA. If we were a play off team and had the same players in the secondary, I could see us breaking the bank, but not when we aren't sniffin the playoffs. I'd still love to see Byrd here, don't get me wrong 

"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Quote:I'll admit, Byrd would instantly make our defense better and allow us to play more like Seattle's d...

The above is all that should matter. 

Go get him. 

Everything else is just an excuse. 

Quote:I'd rather overpay a player like this than the Clint Session's and Tony Pashos of the world, who had no elite part of their skill set at all. Byrd is an elite ball hawk from the position. Yes, please. Thats an important part of the Bradley defense thats missing. 
They have a 6th round kid entering his second year who shows some potential.  In the roster building youth movement that's taking place now - I'd bet Caldwell wants to see how Evans improves in year two more than he wants to overpay a hired gun. 

I think it's odd that you moan so much about overpaying Poz, Lewis, Uche and anyone else you don't like that day - but you advocate doing it again. 

Byrd is very talented - but there's no guarantee that he comes in and plays like the best safety in the league. 

Quote: 

You & NYC get outta here with that above crap. 

I really did not miss this childish song and dance at all while you were away.   We're chatting about the possibility of a FA safety signing.  Are you capable of doing so like an adult?    

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 03:35 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:They have a 6th round kid entering his second year who shows some potential.  In the roster building youth movement that's taking place now - I'd bet Caldwell wants to see how Evans improves in year two more than he wants to overpay a hired gun. 

I think it's odd that you moan so much about overpaying Poz, Lewis, Uche and anyone else you don't like that day - but you advocate doing it again. 

Byrd is very talented - but there's no guarantee that he comes in and plays like the best safety in the league. 

Having Josh Evans, a 6th rounder who did not show much of elite skill set in even flashes last year should not in ANY way deter  or cloud Caldwell's thought process in trying to get a player like Jairus Byrd here. Byrd is instantly a difference maker in this defense. Add  Orakpo in FA and a DE in the draft and this defense all of a sudden becomes formidable.  

Its laughable you compare Byrd to the talent level/ production of Uche/ Marcedes....lol those are the epitome of average players, and you seem to think Byrd is of similar quality. Jeez Louise...

I think Byrd will sign with the Browns. There are already rumors about the Browns having interest.  

I wouldn't be against the signing, but I don't think he'll be a Jag next year.  I think Caldwell will be conservative with signings again this year.  No need to make a splash when your team isn't ready to be in playoff contention.  Make a splash when it counts.  And here's why:

You get more out of your investment that way.  Sure, splashy free agents will improve this team faster.  But the return on the investment will be less.  If you go out and sign Mario Williams like the Bills did, and then wind up not making the playoffs with him... your return is small.  Build through the draft... then go out and get your free agents to supplement what you've built.  That way your free agents contribute more than just an immediate upgrade.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

I would love to see Byrd paired up with Cyp, Evans imo isn't going to be much more than a backup and Guy probably wont be here. 

Quote:I think Byrd will sign with the Browns. There are already rumors about the Browns having interest.  

I wouldn't be against the signing, but I don't think he'll be a Jag next year.  I think Caldwell will be conservative with signings again this year.  No need to make a splash when your team isn't ready to be in playoff contention.  Make a splash when it counts.  And here's why:

You get more out of your investment that way.  Sure, splashy free agents will improve this team faster.  But the return on the investment will be less.  If you go out and sign Mario Williams like the Bills did, and then wind up not making the playoffs with him... your return is small.  Build through the draft... then go out and get your free agents to supplement what you've built.  That way your free agents contribute more than just an immediate upgrade.

Playing it extremely conservative again this offseason carries a risk. 

1. First of all you KNOW Byrd is available (or will be this free agency period) as well as Orakpo...and a fe other really good players...you do NOT know who will be available next offseason - it could turn out that next years crop has very little in impact players.

2. Where would that leave Caldwell then? Especially if they do poorly on the record again in 2014 and will essentially NEED that winning season badly at that point. 

I think they need to strike while the opportunity is presenting itself. 

One "Byrd" in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.... lol, yes pun intended.