Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jairus Byrd - Go get him, Jacksonville!

Quote:So, instead lets overpay for "average" level talent?? 

We have amongst the most cap money available, and Byrd is one of the more talented players at his position available in FA,....

You & NYC get outta here with that above crap. 

I can see not overpaying mediocre to average talent, but I am so tired of the mindset around here to avoid spending a little extra (or a lot extra) whatever, for legitimately talented players like Byrd when the opportunity presents itself, like now apparently.

I'm sorry, was I talking about what I would do or my guess as to what Caldwell will do? Also, no one brought up overpaying average talent, but feel free to browbeat us over something we're not even discussing.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: I think Caldwell will be conservative with signings again this year.

You must support overpaying for average talent too.

I hope you guys understand we were 50m under the cap and they just raised the cap by 10m.. we have so much money, no reason we shouldn't over pay for a big name.. it wouldn't even barely hurt our cap number. 

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 04:14 PM by JaguarScience95.)

Serious injuries and already offered the top money at safety think he will take less to play for a contender don't think he comes here or that Caldwell wants him that bad we'll see I be all for it even though he's not much of a hitter like earl Thomas but in saying all that think he ends up with eagles
"Get Better Everyday"

I just saw this on twitter. It got me excited for what I thought was not a possibility.

We'll see how it plays out.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 04:16 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote: 

...even though he's not much of a hitter like earl Thomas

Being a good ball-hawk is the higher priority of the FS position anyway. 

Cyprien is supposed to be the thumper of the secondary. 

Quote:Being a good ball-hawk is the higher priority of the FS position anyway.

Cyprien is supposed to be the thumper of the secondary.

Oh I know ill say he has better cover skills than earl though
"Get Better Everyday"

Quote: 

Its laughable you compare Byrd to the talent level/ production of Uche/ Marcedes....lol those are the epitome of average players, and you seem to think Byrd is of similar quality. Jeez Louise...
Horribly misconstrued. If that's what you came away with you need a remedial reading course.   

I didn't compare those players - and I clearly stated that Byrd was of a different breed.  Seriously, dude.  Learn to read. What's laughable is your inability to comprehend what you read. 

I stated weeks ago that Byrd was probably a great fit for our defense.  (you and I discussed it)   I just think that Caldwell isn't going to be the guy to make him the highest paid safety in the league.  How is that so tough for you to understand?? 

Please, please, stop putting words in my mouth and make an attempt to read and understand my posts before spraying a bunch of crap in response. 

Byrd is the word.

Quote:Horribly misconstrued. If that's what you came away with you need a remedial reading course.   

I didn't compare those players - and I clearly stated that Byrd was of a different breed.  Seriously, dude.  Learn to read. What's laughable is your inability to comprehend what you read. 

I stated weeks ago that Byrd was probably a great fit for our defense.  (you and I discussed it)   I just think that Caldwell isn't going to be the guy to make him the highest paid safety in the league.  How is that so tough for you to understand?? 

Please, please, stop putting words in my mouth and make an attempt to read and understand my posts before spraying a bunch of crap in response.

X1000

I would support it if it was front-loaded. We won't have to make extensions for a while now thanks to Gene Smith

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 04:44 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote: 

I think it's odd that you moan so much about overpaying Poz, Lewis, Uche and anyone else you don't like that day - but you advocate doing it again. 

Quote:Horribly misconstrued. If that's what you came away with you need a remedial reading course.   

No words were put in your mouth. The above is your quote. I think my comprehension is fine. Your quote up there in response to what I said, at worst - implies comparison of Uche/ Marcedes to Byrd. You tried to tie in my opinion about overpaying those players and act like because I wanted to pay Byrd, that it was the same thing. 

@1010XL: "Expect the Jags to be aggressive on Day 1 of Free Agency" @ryanohalloran on @Frank_Frangie and @Ballou1010xl

I would love Byrd especially if we are drafting a rookie qb. The time to spend kind of big in free agency is when you have a young qb with a small salary. Byrd is a perfect fit next to Cyp and adds some veteran leadership to a very young group.

I don't think it's likely but I would love to add a ballhawk like Byrd.

I would love to see the ball-hawking Byrd in the secondary; however, I just don't see the Jags pulling the trigger on this one. Supposedly, per ESPN, Buffalo offered him a deal that would have paid him $30m over the first 3 years. I see the free agent dollars being targeted at other spots. I think they'll keep trying to develop Evans and Guy.

We won't go after Byrd. We'll take the last in line safeties who primarily play in special teams

Quote:Byrd is the word.
I'm beyond sold now. I don't care what it takes now, THROW MONEY AT BYRD. 

"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Jags don't make splashes in free agency. Byrd would be amazing but I just don't see it even bring remotely close to an option.
Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:Jags don't make splashes in free agency. Byrd would be amazing but I just don't see it even bring remotely close to an option.
He's had some of that Gusjuice. He can't get enough, willing to give us a substantial discount.

Here are my thoughts on Byrd and the Jags:

The guy is talented for sure and would greatly enhance our secondary BUT it doesnt matter how good our secondary is unless the big uglies are putting pressure up front. Byrd at this point would be a luxury to me, we need a much greater pass rush presence for the signing of Byrd to look good. IF he came here and we dont really add overwhelming talent in the front 7 then we will all "bash" the signing of Byrd.

We know that he wants to be paid big right? I dont see caldwell overpaying for a guy that isnt a huge need. Evans is a solid player, he will continue to improve under this staff. While he isnt on the same level Byrd, I think he is good enough for this team.

Will I be upset if we signed Byrd, NO. I prefer us to spend the "big" money on the trenches. Alex Mack should be our number 1 target but I doubt he leaves Cleveland.

I like the thinking TMD but to me it doesnt make sense for where we are as a team right now.

1: Alex Mack but we end up with Dietrich Smith

2: Orakpo if he leaves DC (aint happening imo, but we get Mack in the draft so we will be fine)

3: Ben Tate/Dmac, want one of these guys

4: Lamar Houston, not the big name guy like Michael Johnson and Bennett but I think he would fit in very well here and be more productive than the other 2. I would take one of the 3 though.

5: Scwartz/Assomaugh

6: Linval Josesph...young talented DT with a big upside.

7: Byrd: see above

8: Brandon Pettigrew or resign Clay

9: Captain Munnerlyn/Thurmond or Verner...obviously verner is the most talented of the bunch but Im not sure he is a Gus guy...Cant have enough talent at CB though

10: Brandon Lafell/James Jones...really unsure about Justins future. I dont think we need to overspend on a guy like Decker but James Jones would be nice.

These is my FA wishlist in no particular order.

Dwarf tossing available on demand.

Quote:Having Josh Evans, a 6th rounder who did not show much of elite skill set in even flashes last year should not in ANY way deter or cloud Caldwell's thought process in trying to get a player like Jairus Byrd here. Byrd is instantly a difference maker in this defense. Add Orakpo in FA and a DE in the draft and this defense all of a sudden becomes formidable.

Its laughable you compare Byrd to the talent level/ production of Uche/ Marcedes....lol those are the epitome of average players, and you seem to think Byrd is of similar quality. Jeez Louise...
I thought Orakpo just got franchised ?