Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jairus Byrd - Go get him, Jacksonville!

per rotoworld: (he won't be tagged)

The Bills will not use the franchise tag on free agent FS Jarius Byrd ahead of Monday's 4PM ET deadline.

Various reports over the last hour indicate the Raiders will not tag DE Lamarr Houston, the Ravens won't tag LT Eugene Monroe, the 49ers won't tag SS Donte Whitner, and the Browns won't franchise SS T.J. Ward. Byrd is expected to hit the market, and has a realistic chance to become the highest paid safety in football. Seahawks FS Earl Thomas will be watching Byrd's market closely.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2014, 04:38 PM by Jags2DaDeath.)

Quote:Yeah, a coveted 27 year old ball hawking safety from Buffalo would totally want to go to a roster that has been gutted twice in five years and hardly has a chance of competing for anything next year. The "commitment to rebuilding" line is a very, very hard sell especially if there are better options like Philadelphia vying for his services

This team's stars will come entirely from the draft. Players like Byrd will have far more appealing choices than Jacksonville.

That's just how it is. That's how its always been with the Jags since the novelty of playing on the team wore off. We live and die by our own stars.

The guys want money. That's what they care about. Do you think Mario Williams went to Buffalo because he loves Niagara Falls?

;

;

Byrd would be a great signing but he's going to come at a high price, obviously.  I don't foresee Caldwell wanting to pay that much for a FS right now.

Alex Mack is the one guy available I see Caldwell throwing money at.  Having a good veteran center would go a long ways with a rookie QB coming in too. Having a veteran at center would be helpful and Mack is a good one.  

Sign Mack, a decent level guard, and a few smaller level signings and I would be happy.

Quote:Byrd would be a great signing but he's going to come at a high price, obviously.  I don't foresee Caldwell wanting to pay that much for a FS right now.

Alex Mack is the one guy available I see Caldwell throwing money at.  Having a good veteran center would go a long ways with a rookie QB coming in too. Having a veteran at center would be helpful and Mack is a good one.  

Sign Mack, a decent level guard, and a few smaller level signings and I would be happy.

This team has enough money to add both Mack & Byrd, and a few lower level (cheap) FA's, too. 

Team record mean nothing to players. It's all about the Ben Franklins. We have the money and living in Jacksonville for the next 4 years wouldn't be all that bad for a guy in all honesty. Still, it goes against what Caldwell believes in to sign Byrd. I still am going to hope that he will make a deal for him, but i'm not going to be surprised nor upset when Byrd signs elsewhere. 

"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Quote:This team has enough money to add both Mack & Byrd, and a few lower level (cheap) FA's, too. 

Maybe so but that doesn't mean putting that much money into two FA's is a smart move in the long term.  It isn't all about having enough money this year.

If Caldwell can get it done I would be ecstatic but that's high expectations.  One of the two would make me a happy camper.  Add in a decent guard and I'd really be happy. 

We have now determined that we do want Caldwell to go get Byrd. He would be a great free agency signing for us, and we can afford to make the huge investment it will require to sign him. I expect he very well could instantly make our defense better, our team better, our fan base more excited about our chances.

Consensus is that wherever Byrd does sign he potentially could make that defense instantly better as well. Free Agency is somewhat similar to bidding on ebay, and Byrd will garner a lot of interest, which means several high end offers. It will be important for Caldwell to out bid any other potential suitors, and to make certain we win the bidding war against any other team, I say Caldwell should offer 30 million per year for 5 years.

Yes, "Go get him, Jacksonville", at any cost? or should we make a lower offer that may lead to us being outbid by another teams GM, because their fan base wanted them to "Go get him"? 

It is quite easy to say "Go get him", it does roll of the tongue quite easily. The problem is with big name players, you have to outbid, and over pay to make certain you win the auction. That method of operating as a GM isn't one that leads to long term success all that often. I'm willing to give it a try, as nothing else seems to have worked for us so far. When all else fails, bid way higher than anyone else bids.

Ok first

Quote:I'm sorry, was I talking about what I would do or my guess as to what Caldwell will do? Also, no one brought up overpaying average talent
, but feel free to browbeat us over something we're not even discussing.

Quote:You must support overpaying for average talent too

Second. I agree I do not think Caldwell will go after big name free agents. However I think if a player is the best player at their position in the league that player deserves to be paid like they are the best player. I am not saying Byrd is the best...simply IF he is..he should be paid like it. 

Also is it this year or next year that we have to spend up to the cap? 

"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

Quote:Ok first

Second. I agree I do not think Caldwell will go after big name free agents. However I think if a player is the best player at their position in the league that player deserves to be paid like they are the best player. I am not saying Byrd is the best...simply IF he is..he should be paid like it. 

Also is it this year or next year that we have to spend up to the cap?

I thought it was pretty obvious but the second post you have quoted was highly sarcastic. Even if it wasn't, my bringing it up after the fact doesn't change the initial post at all.

To answer your question, we have to average 89% over a 4 year period which ends in 2016... I think.

Id rather trade back into the 2nd and take Jimmie Ward.  Dude is gonna be the best safety in this class.

Wait when did TMD come back?

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

How 'bout we let Josh Evans develop?

Quote:How 'bout we let Josh Evans develop?

lolz...we could give Josh Evans a trillion years to develop and he's not going to be the ball hawk that Jairus Byrd is. 

Do people not understand that some players are simply inherently more talented than others?? :unsure: 

How 'bout we poo in our hats and eat them? That'd be about as productive a way of fixing the free safety situation.

Byrd's a very good safety, and as long as he isn't out there looking for cornerback money, I'd like to see him here. The last defensive UFA we signed from Buffalo worked out pretty well, right?

I'd love Byrd in a Jags uni but I'd just like to emphasize Evans was a 6th round pick thrown into the mix and asked to start and has shown his share of upside. It sucks nowadays that people can't let players progress.

No.

Quote:lolz...we could give Josh Evans a trillion years to develop and he's not going to be the ball hawk that Jairus Byrd is.
From what I read, it's not that Byrd has awesome range, he just lines up very deep and cheats a lot. I am not sure we can plug him in like that and have our Earl Thomas. Like Cyprien isn't the same player as Chancellor and is used differently by the coaches.

Quote:I'd love Byrd in a Jags uni but I'd just like to emphasize Evans was a 6th round pick thrown into the mix and asked to start and has shown his share of upside. It sucks nowadays that people can't let players progress.
Let him progress into what? He's shown all the upside of a rotten potato.

Actually, I take it back. The potato wouldn't commit so many dumb penalties.

*Throws frying pan at you* That's enough out of you son, how dare you throw out a logical idea. Take a lap

"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Byrd will be the highest paid FA. Atlanta is all over him.

Pass!