Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jairus Byrd - Go get him, Jacksonville!

Does anyone know what the career length of a Safety is in the League? I get that Byrd is a dynamic player, but how long is he going to be a viable "highest paid player at his position" guy? He's only played all 16 games once in his five year career. Will he be a long term investment for the team?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Does anyone know what the career length of a Safety is in the League? I get that Byrd is a dynamic player, but how long is he going to be a viable "highest paid player at his position" guy? He's only played all 16 games once in his five year career. Will he be a long term investment for the team?
So what. Your dum.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:So what. Your dum.

Well, yeah. That's why I was asking questions. How can I get to be not as dum unless someone fills me with information by answering my questions?

Have you seen my stapler?

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Does anyone know what the career length of a Safety is in the League? I get that Byrd is a dynamic player, but how long is he going to be a viable "highest paid player at his position" guy? He's only played all 16 games once in his five year career. Will he be a long term investment for the team?

CB's move to safety as they age, so the expected time at safety on average should exceed most defensive players. I think he has 4-5 years left playing at a high level. IMO

Atlanta and Philly have interest in Byrd too so that being said, there is going to be a bidding war. Ultimately Byrd will choose where he goes and if he picks the Jags, the secondary would be set for the next few years. Byrd, Cyp, Gratz, and Blackmon/Ball would be fantastic.

LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

Quote:CB's move to safety as they age, so the expected time at safety on average should exceed most defensive players. I think he has 4-5 years left playing at a high level. IMO

Atlanta and Philly have interest in Byrd too so that being said, there is going to be a bidding war. Ultimately Byrd will choose where he goes and if he picks the Jags, the secondary would be set for the next few years. Byrd, Cyp, Gratz, and Blackmon/Ball would be fantastic.

I can see the aspect of a Safetys career being longer than a Cornerbacks, but aren't we going to be asking Byrd to play Centerfield in this Cover Three Defense? Seems to me that if the FS were to lose a step, it would severely impact his coverage ability. Do you think Byrd can crank out four more years of playing "Centerfield"?

Bradley's defense is closer to a cover-one in its final form, so yes, you need a fast center fielder over the top. Byrd isn't lightning-quick to begin with, so the question of when he slows down is a very important one to ask. I believe that, if signed, he'd stabilize the free safety position for three years, maybe four. Assuming he's not looking for cornerback money, he's worth writing a decent check for. I mean, really, our default option at this point is Josh Evans. Talk about bringing a plastic bat to a gunfight...

If Byrd is unrealistic we ought to make a major play at Major Wright.  He has been a very good free safety in chicago, makes plays, and likes to lay down some hits.

Why isn't TJ Ward being discussed as an option as well? He should be right up there with Bryd.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Why isn't TJ Ward being discussed as an option as well? He should be right up there with Bryd.
Ward is a SS

Quote:Why isn't TJ Ward being discussed as an option as well? He should be right up there with Bryd.
Because we already have T.J. Ward. We just call him John Cyprien.

Quote:Ward is a SS

Quote:Because we already have T.J. Ward. We just call him John Cyprien.

Yep.

;

;