Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ten Days until NFL Free Agency Starts

Any predictions on who goes where?

I think Branden Albert will go to the Dolphins.  Eugene Monroe will stick with the Ravens.  Orapko will remain a Redskin.  

Michael Vick... I think there's a few places he could end up.  Not sure about MJD either.  I just hope it's not with a divisional opponent (unless it's a big contract worth a lot of guaranteed money)

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

By then all of the good free agents will likely be franchised/ re-signed. 

I have zero interest in the Jags then overpaying for the likes of a Tony Pashos or Clint Session level player(s). 

Overpaying for top notch like Greg Hardy, Jairus Byrd and Jimmy Graham (should he not have been tagged) is one thing,- and acceptable -  but overpaying for average Joe's is another and unacceptable. 

I think all we will see if a lot more signings of guys like Sen'Derrick Marks and Alan Ball. I don't expect us to make any blockbuster, record breaking signings. And it looks like there won't be anyone available worth big money anyways.

I hope to see a G and/or center brought in.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:I think all we will see if a lot more signings of guys like Sen'Derrick Marks and Alan Ball. I don't expect us to make any blockbuster, record breaking signings. And it looks like there won't be anyone available worth big money anyways.

I hope to see a G and/or center brought in.

I love those level signings. Cheap and upside. 

IMO, the ideal model for FA is to target one or 2 top level (Greg Hardy types) and land them (if you have to overpay, so be it). And then, after that fill the rest of FA out with Sen Derrick Mark's type of contracts/ players. 

WHat you DON'T - thats right, DON'T - want is overpaying for the "average" level free agents like the examples I have mentioned in Jas past like Tony Pashos, Clint Session, Dewan Landry and Porter. All of those contracts cost the Jags a LOT of money and for what?? Players that didn't really make a difference anyway. Not even at their peak they weren't difference makers. Those kinds of FA signings are a complete waste of time and money in my opinion. 

Agree, I prefer we sign 5-6 Sen'Derrick Marks type players without damaging our cap. We actually start drafting well, the cap space will be needed when it comes to resigning our guys.
No commercial messages in sigs

My list 

Sam Shields - CB (5 year deal at top 20 CB money, not elite but top 20)

Brandon Pettigrew - TE (2 year deal, depth signing, who could challenge for starting job)

Brian De La Puente - C (5 year deal top 15 Center money. If he is good enough to start and be effect for Brees, then he is good enough for us, also he is only 28)

Arthur Jones - DE (Alualu replacement, will fill that Red Bryant role a lot better, wont break the bank as he is a DE for a 3-4 and doesn't have the numbers like Ngata)

Willie Young - DE (LEO role, hasn't been able to reach potential of pre-season during regular season. Only 28 I can see a 3 year deal for him for less than what we paid Mincey and we will probably get better results)

B.J. Raji - DT (he wants to be able to rush the pasher more, and I think pairing him with Marks could be a lethal combo along with the rest of our D-Line, at age 27 lock him up long term 5-6 year deal)

Evan Dietrich-Smith would be a guy I would like to sign if Alex Mack isn't available or can't be gotten.  He's only going to be 28 next year and shouldn't break the bank by any means.  

I think Monroe has a good chance of ending up a Dolphin.  I've heard/read they have interest in him and the fact that the Ravens haven't gotten him signed yet doesn't have me convinced he'll end up a Raven.  

Quote:My list 

Sam Shields - CB (5 year deal at top 20 CB money, not elite but top 20)

Brandon Pettigrew - TE (2 year deal, depth signing, who could challenge for starting job)

Brian De La Puente - C (5 year deal top 15 Center money. If he is good enough to start and be effect for Brees, then he is good enough for us, also he is only 28)

Arthur Jones - DE (Alualu replacement, will fill that Red Bryant role a lot better, wont break the bank as he is a DE for a 3-4 and doesn't have the numbers like Ngata)

Willie Young - DE (LEO role, hasn't been able to reach potential of pre-season during regular season. Only 28 I can see a 3 year deal for him for less than what we paid Mincey and we will probably get better results)

B.J. Raji - DT (he wants to be able to rush the pasher more, and I think pairing him with Marks could be a lethal combo along with the rest of our D-Line, at age 27 lock him up long term 5-6 year deal)

LOL, some on your list are precisely the type of players that I outlined in an above post that we should be avoiding....

Quote:LOL, some on your list are precisely the type of players that I outlined in an above post that we should be avoiding....

You need depth. Not everyone you sign will be a starter....

The only Starters I have are Shields, La Puente, Jones, and Raji.......

I don't really think you can make an argument that these guys wont be quality starters for our team.

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2014, 01:47 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:You need depth. Not everyone you sign will be a starter....

The only Starters I have are Shields, La Puente, Jones, and Raji.......

I don't really think you can make an argument that these guys wont be quality starters for our team.

I agree you need depth. Thats isn't my issue. I think you might be underestimating what some of those players on your list are going to cost (such as Pettigrew - he will get Dennis Pitta type money). Some of them won't be the Sen' Derrick Marks type contracts, and for average players, I do not want to overpay. 

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2014, 03:12 PM by GreeceMonkE.)

Quote:I agree you need depth. Thats isn't my issue. I think you might be underestimating what some of those players on your list are going to cost (such as Pettigrew - he will get Dennis Pitta type money). Some of them won't be the Sen' Derrick Marks type contracts, and for average players, I do not want to overpay. 

I think they can be signed like this:

Sam Shields - 4yrs / 28 mill - 10 mill guaranteed

Brandon Pettigrew - 2yrs / 7 mill (He is not getting "Pitta Money", not with his production the last 2 years and Fauria being their primary Red Zone target outside of Megatron)

Brian De La Puente - 6yrs / 46mill, 13  mill guaranteed 

Arthur Jones - 5yrs / 40 mill, 15 mill guaranteed

Willie Young - 3 yrs / 9 mill

B.J. Raji - 4 yrs / 22 mill, 7 mill guaranteed

Still well under the cap even after these signings.....

Since Byrd seems to be staying with the Bills, what about T.J. Ward? 

Live long and prosper \\// [Image: 660e5a470556a0f21a991347940d77c860f8c9a5.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2014, 03:16 PM by GreeceMonkE.)

Quote:Since Byrd seems to be staying with the Bills, what about T.J. Ward? 

I think Browns are franchising Ward, and are going to continue to try and sign Mack long term. I think they feel they are better off losing Mack in a bidding war than Ward, and they are probably right.

Looks like no splashes for us

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2014, 10:08 PM by kenudo.)

I think people always want way too many starting FA's to come in. I think we should target a starting center and guard, nab them early, and then sit back and pick up depth in the later stages. DE, RB, TE, LB and OL could all use an extra body.

Quote:Agree, I prefer we sign 5-6 Sen'Derrick Marks type players without damaging our cap. We actually start drafting well, the cap space will be needed when it comes to resigning our guys.
EXACTLY. Like I said though I'd like to see some interior o-line help. At least a center which I think will be beneficial with a rookie QB.

One interior OL like Beadles or De La Puenta, and one pass rusher like Schofield, Griffen, or Worilds and I will be happy. Moderate with upside please. 

Cut Jason Babin and then make Brian Orakpo your big splash signing and give Jason Worilds a competitive contract on a "prove-it" basis as Pittsburgh is keen to keep him around with backup money.

Orakpo instantly upgrades the LEO position and allows greater flexibility in the draft and the services of a relatively unknown yet alluring pass rusher in Worilds would further solidify the position. However, if a bidding war was to happen for Worilds, I would forgo the cost of securing his signature due to the risk of Worilds being a "one-year-wonder" akin to Paul Kruger.

Quote:LOL, some on your list are precisely the type of players that I outlined in an above post that we should be avoiding....

Where is your list?

Definitely wouldn't mind taking a shot at Jared Allen if the money was right.. He may have lost a step, but could still be pretty nasty and productive.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]