Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Smith the Favorite to replace Bradley

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2016/12...e/arq2iy3/

Not sure what to think about this move if true.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They're just throwing crap at the wall to see if any will stick.

Have you seen my baseball?

I am OK with this.

Quote:I am OK with this.

I really wanted someone with a offensive backround. Tired of the d-coordinaters.

Quote:http://www.profootballweekly.com/2016/12...e/arq2iy3/

Not sure what to think about this move if true.

There's another thread mentioning this.

As I said - be prepared for a number of articles like this - with different coaches being mentioned.

Is the Caldwell - Smith connection important? Does this mean Caldwell remains?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Hopefully, someone better will be chosen or he'll get scooped up by some other team. Unless he brings in a QB guru to work with him, I don't think much will change. Offense is the problem. We need an offensive minded coach.

Quote:I really wanted someone with a offensive backround. Tired of the d-coordinaters.
It all depends on who he would hire as his OC.

There is no "favorite."  

They haven't even lined up a single interview - and they will.  

Quote:There's another thread mentioning this.

As I said - be prepared for a number of articles like this - with different coaches being mentioned.

You raised a similar question to the one that came to mind for me:   What's Dave Caldwell's opinion of Mike Smith as a HC?  It's possible that Caldwell would never even consider hiring Smith.

Even if Caldwell wants Smith as the Jaguars next HC,   the key question that comes to mind is this the direction Shad Khan wants to go in?   

I can envision a scenario in which Khan wants Tom Coughlin as the Jags next HC and Caldwell wants Smith.   Considering what transpired with Gus Bradley,   Khan likely would make the choice if the two disagree and Caldwell remains GM.

Quote:  You raised a similar question to the one that came to mind for me:   What's Dave Caldwell's opinion of Mike Smith as a HC?  It's possible that Caldwell would never even consider hiring Smith.

Even if Caldwell wants Smith as the Jaguars next HC,   the key question that comes to mind is this the direction Shad Khan wants to go in?   

I can envision a scenario in which Khan wants Tom Coughlin as the Jags next HC and Caldwell wants Smith.   Considering what transpired with Gus Bradley,   Khan likely would make the choice if the two disagree and Caldwell remains GM.

Wouldn't you just love to be able to talk with Shad Khan? I wonder if he will offer an opinion and "tell" his GM who to hire.

Khan appears to be a hands off kind of owner, so he may leave the choice up to the GM.

Now, Khan may have a feeling which way to go once interviews are completed. How does a GM who has hiring responsibility (which most GMs have) want to stay on the job if he can't have who he wants.

Somehow I don't see Khan overruling his GM on this. Obviously, I could be wrong.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:There's another thread mentioning this.

It definitely helps that Caldwell knows Smith if he is retained. What if he's not? The new GM may not know Smith.

The first thread on this topic was about Tom Coughlin, a former Jaguars coach. Now it is Mike Smith, a former Jaguars coach. I see a pattern. News like this would be more reliable if it was about a coach with no previous link to the Jaguars except coaching against them. That is not to say we should disregard this article, but we have to be cautious about such reports at this time of year.

Quote:Wouldn't you just love to be able to talk with Shad Khan? I wonder if he will offer an opinion and "tell" his GM who to hire.

Khan appears to be a hands off kind of owner, so he may leave the choice up to the GM.

Now, Khan may have a feeling which way to go once interviews are completed. How does a GM who has hiring responsibility (which most GMs have) want to stay on the job if he can't have who he wants.

Somehow I don't see Khan overruling his GM on this. Obviously, I could be wrong.

The one coach that I can picture Shad Khan and Dave Caldwell disagreeing on is Tom Coughlin.    If this happens,  because of the success that TC had with the Jaguars and then going on to win 2 Super Bowls with the Giants,   my gut feeling is Khan is going to make the call.  

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Tom Coughlin is the Jaguars next HC and either Marc Ross or Kevin Abrams  (  both are in the Giants Front Office  )  is the team's next GM.

Quote:Hopefully, someone better will be chosen or he'll get scooped up by some other team. Unless he brings in a QB guru to work with him, I don't think much will change. Offense is the problem. We need an offensive minded coach.

We had an offensive-minded coach in 2012. How did that work out?

There are many examples of coaches whose teams were better on the other side of the ball - Brian Billick, JDR, Gary Kubiak, Tony Dungy (with the Colts), and John Fox (with the Broncos). This is why I always refused to accept the fact that Gus Bradley is a bad coach when our offense was good and the defense sucked.

Quote:The one coach that I can picture Shad Khan and Dave Caldwell disagreeing on is Tom Coughlin. If this happens, because of the success that TC had with the Jaguars and then going on to win 2 Super Bowls with the Giants, my gut feeling is Khan is going to make the call.  

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Tom Coughlin is the Jaguars next HC and either Marc Ross or Kevin Abrams  (both are in the Giants Front Office) is the team's next GM.

Why would Khan and Caldwell disagree on a two-time Super Bowl winner whose history with the team includes two AFC Championship games?

Makes sense since him and Dave have known each other for years

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2016, 02:40 PM by D6.)

Quote:Why would Khan and Caldwell disagree on a two-time Super Bowl winner whose history with the team includes two AFC Championship games?

There are many possible reasons.   The two could be on different wave lengths on how to move forward with the Jaguars.    There personalities might not mesh.  Dave Caldwell might feel his authority as GM could be compromised.   

It's possible they would work great together. But my gut feeling is that when the dust settles,  one of them won't be in the Jaguars organization for the 2017 season.