Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So the knock on Dalton is official

That fact doesn't seem all that fun.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:And that's really what the problem with Dalton boils down to, he's a game manager.
Since when did game managers throw for over 4K yards with 30+ TDs?

IMO, as of right now, he's an above average QB who is in the 2nd tier along with guys like Ryan, Flacco, and Kaepernick, probably in the 8-12 range if you were ranking starting QBs.

Quote:Since when did game managers throw for over 4K yards with 30+ TDs?

IMO, as of right now, he's an above average QB who is in the 2nd tier along with guys like Ryan, Flacco, and Kaepernick, probably in the 8-12 range if you were ranking starting QBs.

Since Matt Schaub.

Don't mix up a guy getting a lot of stats because he's got a really good team around him to a guy that wins games because he plays well enough to make up for the deficiencies around them. Not to mention Dalton also threw 20 INTs.

Did Dalton having more TD passes than Tom Brady this year mean he was a better QB?

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2014, 05:54 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:Since when did game managers throw for over 4K yards with 30+ TDs?

Derek Anderson came pretty close in his 2nd season with the Browns.  3787 yards, 29 touchdowns.  

But neither are game managers.  They're just not what I'd consider franchise QB's.  Dalton is a bit below Ryan I think.  If Ryan were on the Bengals, I think they'd have won the Super Bowl last year.  Or at least come close.  I don't think Dalton would have taken the Ravens to the Super Bowl.  

As a QB, he's serviceable.  I'd rank him around 16th~.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Did Dalton having more TD passes than Tom Brady this year mean he was a better QB?
no just means he's not a game manager, he's an above average QB until proven otherwise, his fault that he has talent around him?

Quote:Derek Anderson came pretty close in his 2nd season with the Browns.  3787 yards, 29 touchdowns.  
during that season alone, Derek Anderson was more than a game manager, 1 year wonder

Quote:no just means he's not a game manager, he's an above average QB until proven otherwise, his fault that he has talent around him?

during that season alone, Derek Anderson was more than a game manager, 1 year wonder

You can't measure whether a guy is a game manager with just seasonal stats. It's why people get so confused over what makes a guy a game manager. Game managers are QBs that can only manage the offense, rather than elevating it.

A good example of a stat that shows Dalton's true level is how he performs in the 4th quarter of close games. His passer rating dips 10 points under his season average and he throws more INTs than TDs.

As long as he is good enough to get the to the playoffs year after year, you have to stick with him. Not to mention, drafting in the mid 20s every year doesnt lend itself to getting a new QB.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:As long as he is good enough to get the to the playoffs year after year, you have to stick with him. Not to mention, drafting in the mid 20s every year doesnt lend itself to getting a new QB.

You keep him while you look for his replacement.  But you do LOOK for his replacement.  He gives you plenty of leeway to do that.  You can grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd -- if they don't work out, then you still have Dalton  If he seeks too big of a contract though... then I'd say you don't keep him.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Wow, you bash virtually every legit franchise QB prospect coming through the pipeline in recent years...and then a QB comes up who actually deserves the criticism you unfairly give to all of those other QBs and you defend him. I wish I could say this is surprising but it's not. 

Dalton could have been the top prospect in this draft.

Still laughing at "bash"... children, children...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

But Dalton had a bad senior bowl... that means everything

Quote:^ This is not actually true. He has been bad in the playoffs, no doubt.

But, this season he beat:

Patriots

Packers (with Rodgers)

Colts

Chargers (in San Diego)

Lions

Ravens

Steelers

Those were some teams that "had a roster good enough to put the pressure on him."

He didn't get creamed.
Tbh, The chargers won the game that counted lol

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Quote:Dalton could have been the top prospect in this draft.

Still laughing at "bash"... children, children...
Yep, in the same way McCarron is the top QB in this draft...silly man who doesn't know how to evaluate QBs.

Quote:You keep him while you look for his replacement.  But you do LOOK for his replacement.  He gives you plenty of leeway to do that.  You can grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd -- if they don't work out, then you still have Dalton  If he seeks too big of a contract though... then I'd say you don't keep him.

I get what you're saying, but in theory you never stop looking for new QBs.

How long has he go on his contract? I'd guess two more years. It would take a real brave GM to let a QB who has reached the playoffs 5 straight years in the AFCN test the market.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:I get what you're saying, but in theory you never stop looking for new QBs.

How long has he go on his contract? I'd guess two more years. It would take a real brave GM to let a QB who has reached the playoffs 5 straight years in the AFCN test the market.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-be...dy-dalton/

UFA after this year. They're in a real rough spot...

Quote:Trust me I hope the Bengals are smart about it, because it's painfully obvious they have a super bowl caliber roster if it wasn't for Dalton holding them back. Unfortunately, recent history shows us that teams are completely paranoid about giving up on a 'franchise' QB and will give them mega contracts rivaling the Manning/Brees/Brady/Rodgers tier, a la Cutler, Stafford, Romo, Rivers all having cap restricting deals. I expect Dalton to be the next, but I hope the Bengals are smarter than the others. 

The major difference between Andy Dalton and the QB's you mentioned that got lucrative contracts is those QB's are noticeably more talented than Dalton.  If Dalton doesn't take the Bengals deep into the playoffs,   my guess is the Bengals will use plenty of restraint regarding contract negotiations with the QB and his agent.

Quote:Fun fact: The Bengals are the team with the longest playoff victory drought.  It has been 24 years since they have won a Playoff game.

Sadly,  in the following Bengals game in the 1990 season playoffs,  Bo Jackson suffered an NFL career ending hip injury in the Los Angeles Raiders win over the Bengals.   

Quote:It's amazing how Dalton gets all this flak, but the same folk don't have a bad word to say about Luck.
Luck didn't go to the Playoffs three years in a row without winning, (and playing poorly in those games). Luck threw a ton of Ints, but he also threw for enough TD's to win. Dalton has never throw for enough TD's. I still think Dalton is pretty decent, but until he finds a way to progress further, he will have the knock.  

I am somewhere in the middle on the Dalton issue, I don't think he is quite mediocrity perpetuated, but on the other hand, I don't think he is as good as, say, Tony Romo. I bring them both up, cause they both get a lot of slack about the playoffs, and winning in primetime. I would argue that Romo elevates his team, while Dalton somewhat holds his team back. This is were he must progress. He must at least get to the point were he isn't the problem, and can keep them competative. Theres some good stuff there with Dalton, but he still got to put it together. He is no where near a bust like Gabbs tho. And I think that bears mentioning. He is a starter in this league (justifiable, not just circumstantial). Anyway, thats kind of what I think, I have been enjoying some of the posts, especially from you posters who watch a lot of Bengals games. Its good to know what the inside crowd thinks.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Trust me I hope the Bengals are smart about it, because it's painfully obvious they have a super bowl caliber roster if it wasn't for Dalton holding them back. Unfortunately, recent history shows us that teams are completely paranoid about giving up on a 'franchise' QB and will give them mega contracts rivaling the Manning/Brees/Brady/Rodgers tier, a la Cutler, Stafford, Romo, Rivers all having cap restricting deals. I expect Dalton to be the next, but I hope the Bengals are smarter than the others. 
Bengals are notorious for being cheap, I am not nearly so worried about what they will do with Dalton. I really doubt they will give a 'cap-restricting' deal to him.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Bengals are notorious for being cheap, I am not nearly so worried about what they will do with Dalton. I really doubt they will give a 'cap-restricting' deal to him.

True. It's entirely possible they let him walk and he signs with a foolhardy team like the Jets or Raiders for big money and gets totally exposed as mediocre.

Quote:Derek Anderson came pretty close in his 2nd season with the Browns.  3787 yards, 29 touchdowns.  

But neither are game managers.  They're just not what I'd consider franchise QB's.  Dalton is a bit below Ryan I think.  If Ryan were on the Bengals, I think they'd have won the Super Bowl last year.  Or at least come close.  I don't think Dalton would have taken the Ravens to the Super Bowl.  

As a QB, he's serviceable.  I'd rank him around 16th~.
I agree with this. Matt Ryan is much better than people give him credit for. He is above Flacco in ability, I would easily rank Ryan top 10, if not maybe even top 5, whereas Flacco is rather borderline even at 10. Dalton is definately right in the middle. He is not anywhere near replacement level IMO, but he isn't a top guy right now in this league. But like others have said, if he doesn't start progressing in the playoffs next year, I think you have to take a long hard look at him.