Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
When will fans say enough is enough?

Is the NFL getting to that tipping point yet where fans start to fight back on the greed that seems to have become the "new" NFL?  I've been posting on this board for a while and definitely not one to complain (especially about food and ticket prices), but at what point does it become too much?  Has the NFL become a league of greed?  Will this start impacting them financially?  Will this blow up in their face?  Anyways, just thought it was an interesting discussion.  

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...18115.html

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Some people say Goodell receives too much flak, but I honestly can't think of anything he's done that's been good for the league

tons of people have already said enough, that's why they're changing the blackout rules. I know for me the games passed me by, I can't even think about attending games at this point and time. I'm still a fan and do everything I can to support the team but financially the NFL passed me by a while ago.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:tons of people have already said enough, that's why they're changing the blackout rules. I know for me the games passed me by, I can't even think about attending games at this point and time. I'm still a fan and do everything I can to support the team but financially the NFL passed me by a while ago.

I agree some what. A lot of fans can afford to go, but the tv experience has become so good. It's a combination of that, economy and affordability. But honestly I think it has more to do with how inexpensive the tv experience is.

Quote:I agree some what. A lot of fans can afford to go, but the tv experience has become so good. It's a combination of that, economy and affordability. But honestly I think it has more to do with how inexpensive the tv experience is.

For me it's simply an issue of the family. I have four kids under the age of 7, so problem one is finding a babysitter, not even family wants to take on that kind of load for long. Second when they are old enough we looked at getting tickets, but man 6 season tickets even in the nose bleeds is nothing to sneeze at. By the time I add in travel cost, food, and parking it's just not reasonable.

Who knows in a few years the kids are older maybe we can rotate the games and get 2 or 3 tickets, but I really prefer watching the games as a family together.

The lack of a strong economy is already turning the tide.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe ticket sales slumped league wide.  Though, folks still tune in on TV.

Wow, it's been on a longer ticket slide than I thought.  Here's an article from 2012:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10...3707417526

"With declines in ticket sales each of the past five years, average game attendance is down 4.5% since 2007, while broadcast and online viewership is soaring. The NFL is worried that its couch-potato options—both on television and on mobile devices—have become good enough that many fans don't see the point of attending an actual game."

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2014, 04:13 PM by jtmoney.)

Well, what I was also touching on is when will we see NFL fans get sick of it altogether. Meaning they tune out of the sport they know and love because it is no longer the sport they know and love. I know the NFL is a monster still, but will the masses get turned off by the ultra greedy run NFL that Goodell has been pushing since he became commish?

Quote:For me it's simply an issue of the family. I have four kids under the age of 7, so problem one is finding a babysitter, not even family wants to take on that kind of load for long. Second when they are old enough we looked at getting tickets, but man 6 season tickets even in the nose bleeds is nothing to sneeze at. By the time I add in travel cost, food, and parking it's just not reasonable.

Who knows in a few years the kids are older maybe we can rotate the games and get 2 or 3 tickets, but I really prefer watching the games as a family together.

I understand. I've started to change my way of thinking on this over the years.

Quote:I agree some what. A lot of fans can afford to go, but the tv experience has become so good. It's a combination of that, economy and affordability. But honestly I think it has more to do with how inexpensive the tv experience is.
I disagree, I would much rather be at the game then watch on TV. I loved the last game I was able to go to, even though we lost. The open air, the lack of commercials, the crowd noise. The game is better, even with some dumb drunk fans, it still is better in person for me!

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

When will fans realize it doesn't matter what they think? All you can do is stop watching and they won't even notice.

That's pretty ridic.  I have to wonder how much this is being done being overly cautious against potential "threats."

Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:That's pretty ridic. I have to wonder how much this is being done being overly cautious against potential "threats."
Haha. I heard Goodell is sitting in the weather. He's probably more concerned for himself than anyone else

Quote:When will fans realize it doesn't matter what they think? All you can do is stop watching and they won't even notice.

Bingo

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I disagree, I would much rather be at the game then watch on TV. I loved the last game I was able to go to, even though we lost. The open air, the lack of commercials, the crowd noise. The game is better, even with some dumb drunk fans, it still is better in person for me!

I think the live game is way better then anything I watch on TV or online streaming no argument here. For me it's strictly economics that drives staying home versus going to the games.

Quote:I disagree, I would much rather be at the game then watch on TV. I loved the last game I was able to go to, even though we lost. The open air, the lack of commercials, the crowd noise. The game is better, even with some dumb drunk fans, it still is better in person for me!

I agree as well, but I understand why fans don't go if that makes sense.  I would much rather tailgate, go to game and see it in person then on watch on TV, but I also can see why fans prefer to not deal with the hassle of traffic, hot weather, waiting in bathroom lines, etc...

Honestly there is nothing we can do. 

The NFL has America by the haunches, and the scary thing is, they know it. 

It's their party, we can cry if we want to.  I for one will not stop watching the games, simply because it is the best sport in the world.  I would prefer that Everbank be filled to the rim, with people dying to get in, and the people who are in there staying till the last second.  But in reality, that just rarely happens these days. 

There has definitely been a drop in attendance.  That's because people just want to stay home and watch.  I can't get mad at them for that.  3 dollar packs of hot dogs, 10 dollar box of Bubba Burgers, and most importantly 10-30 dollar bottles of liquor and alcoholic beverages.  Not to mention the heat, and air conditioning at whatever temp you want it. 

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2014, 05:58 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:When will fans realize it doesn't matter what they think? All you can do is stop watching and they won't even notice.

I understand.  I'm simply opening up discussion about it.  It doesn't matter what we think about the draft or who we should pick either, but we talk about it anyways.

They won't notice if one person stops watching sure.  And this thread isn't meant to be a "stop watching the NFL because they are greedy".  Merely a discussion on if it is possible the NFL will see fans, a tide of them, turn away.  Not just turn away from the stadiums, but all together.  When will enough be enough?  When will the greed of the NFL back fire?  Or will it?  

Quote:Honestly there is nothing we can do. 

The NFL has America by the haunches, and the scary thing is, they know it. 

It's their party, we can cry if we want to.  I for one will not stop watching the games, simply because it is the best sport in the world.  I would prefer that Everbank be filled to the rim, with people dying to get in, and the people who are in there staying till the last second.  But in reality, that just rarely happens these days. 

There has definitely been a drop in attendance.  That's because people just want to stay home and watch.  I can't get mad at them for that.  3 dollar packs of hot dogs, 10 dollar box of Bubba Burgers, and most importantly 10-30 dollar bottles of liquor and alcoholic beverages.  Not to mention the heat, and air conditioning at whatever temp you want it. 

They do, yes.  But baseball had America by the haunches at one time too.  One thing is for sure, nothing will always be.  It is hard to see it when something is so big, but it has happened in many different areas throughout history over and over again.  

jtmoney is right, Nothing and no one is ever to big to fail. The NFL already knows this, it's why so many new stadiums are being built with lower capacity. I remember reading an Ask Vic WAY back and he predicted one day stadiums would only seat 20k and they would be luxury boxes mostly I remember him saying the switch would happen gradually as the NFL found ways to profit from in home viewership, ala PPV that is coming to the NFL.

Quote:Well, what I was also touching on is when will we see NFL fans get sick of it altogether. Meaning they tune out of the sport they know and love because it is no longer the sport they know and love. I know the NFL is a monster still, but will the masses get turned off by the ultra greedy run NFL that Goodell has been pushing since he became commish?

With so many fans of fantasy football (and not particularly of the traditions of the game iself), I'm afraid the traditional fans they lose will be replaced with the casual fan/fantasy football fan who are more interested in stats than the trenches.

I don't think a large portion of the masses care, and that's sad to those of us who are more purists of the game.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."