Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
When will fans say enough is enough?

The league charges the networks a huge amount of money to carry the games.

I think the future will hold PPV for single games on cable networks  or season subscriptions on NFL network for them all.

When that happens, there will be less difference between attending the game and watching from the couch.

You can bet they will find a way to drive revenue.

For me? I like both....nothing can replace being at a game.....the excitement, people watching....yeah even when there's a clots or tacks fan close.

But time and monetary circumstances prevent me from getting a full season in my favorite section (SEE). But I do average 3~4 games a year.

love the team, love the game and things are looking up!

Go JAGS!

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:With so many fans of fantasy football (and not particularly of the traditions of the game iself), I'm afraid the traditional fans they lose will be replaced with the casual fan/fantasy football fan who are more interested in stats than the trenches.

I don't think a large portion of the masses care, and that's sad to those of us who are more purists of the game.

I see a lot of this today already. My Brother-In-Law was always a casual NFL fan, if you made him pick a team he'd call the Broncos his favorite team (simply because he found a Broncos hat one day and thought it looked cool when we where kids). However he's a gamer 100% and once I showed him Fantasy Football he became a die hard Fantasy Football guy, nothing wrong with it, but he doesn't even watch most games.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Haha. I heard Goodell is sitting in the weather. He's probably more concerned for himself than anyone else

I was referring to something more sinister than weather, but if there's a way to turn a profit in an act of overabundant precaution, I am sure Roger won't mind.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:The league charges the networks a huge amount of money to carry the games.

I think the future will hold PPV for single games on cable networks  or season subscriptions on NFL network for them all.

When that happens, there will be less difference between attending the game and watching from the couch.

You can bet they will find a way to drive revenue.

For me? I like both....nothing can replace being at a game.....the excitement, people watching....yeah even when there's a clots or tacks fan close.

But time and monetary circumstances prevent me from getting a full season in my favorite section (SEE). But I do average 3~4 games a year.

love the team, love the game and things are looking up!

Go JAGS!

Yea I see something like an option to pay for individual games via an NFL Channel sort of deal. You live in Arizona and want to watch the Seahawks play the 49ers but your local broadcast is the Cardinals VS Jaguars. No problem go to channel _______ submit your CC info an for $49.99 you can watch the Seahawks and 49ers broadcast.

Quote:jtmoney is right, Nothing and no one is ever to big to fail. The NFL already knows this, it's why so many new stadiums are being built with lower capacity. I remember reading an Ask Vic WAY back and he predicted one day stadiums would only seat 20k and they would be luxury boxes mostly I remember him saying the switch would happen gradually as the NFL found ways to profit from in home viewership, ala PPV that is coming to the NFL.
You must be under the impression that there's equality in the world and everything is fair but...

Quote:I understand.  I'm simply opening up discussion about it.  It doesn't matter what we think about the draft or who we should pick either, but we talk about it anyways.

They won't notice if one person stops watching sure.  And this thread isn't meant to be a "stop watching the NFL because they are greedy".  Merely a discussion on if it is possible the NFL will see fans, a tide of them, turn away.  Not just turn away from the stadiums, but all together.  When will enough be enough?  When will the greed of the NFL back fire?  Or will it?  
the NFL has no competition. No other sport is even close anymore. Come Sunday people who don't even watch football will watch the Superbowl, every channel will not even try to compete. There are times when I have no interest in the Super Bowl, but I dare you to change the channel, cause nothing else will be on. They might as well run test patterns on the other stations, no one will notice or care. Hell, a week later there will be shows to countdown the commercials. They may have their ups and down over time, but they're never going down. 

Quote:You must be under the impression that there's equality in the world and everything is fair but...

the NFL has no competition. No other sport is even close anymore. Come Sunday people who don't even watch football will watch the Superbowl, every channel will not even try to compete. There are times when I have no interest in the Super Bowl, but I dare you to change the channel, cause nothing else will be on. They might as well run test patterns on the other stations, no one will notice or care. Hell, a week later there will be shows to countdown the commercials. They may have their ups and down over time, but they're never going down. 

Baseball once ruled American past time the way Football does now. Nothing and No one is ever to big to never fail, heck I can almost guarantee you at some point the NFL will play second fiddle to someone else, it's just the way the world works.

If you don't know this I'll have to assume your to young to understand this natural law yet, you will one day.....

I always said I would never pay for a PSL and I can now also say that I will never pay a $49.99 PPV charge to watch a game on TV. I am a 10 yr ST holder and still enjoy it immensely and will withstand maybe one more price increase but then I'm done.

Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Quote:With so many fans of fantasy football (and not particularly of the traditions of the game iself), I'm afraid the traditional fans they lose will be replaced with the casual fan/fantasy football fan who are more interested in stats than the trenches.

I don't think a large portion of the masses care, and that's sad to those of us who are more purists of the game.

That's a good point. Fantasy football honestly has put the NFL over the top.

We are seeing some push back though. At least in person attendance. I'm sure the NFL will adapt.

Baseball is far worse. With quarter billion dollar contracts becoming a reality, one has to ask one's self when it becomes not worth it. It's one of the most perfect scams going in my eyes. All fans want the best team and some bragging right about being "the best," but what truly does it bring the fan? Financially, it's possibly the worst thing for the average Joe fan. When a team wins it all, all the players then want to be paid like oil barons from a newfound land with unlimited resources. Winning can be a curse that way, and fans generally spend very little, if any time thinking about it.

I applaud the NFL for the new NFLPA agreement where they put the rookie contracts in check to a point. Still, the 2014 projected salary cap is estimated to be 126.3 Million dollars per team. That's $4,041,600,000 dollars. Spelled out, it's four billion, forty one million, six hundred thousand dollars. Every last one of those dollars come from you and me. Yes, us, the people with 5, 6, and if you're lucky, 7 figure salaries. Think that sucks, let's break it down even further:

Take the cap, and break it down with simple statistical numbers. If all 53 players made the exact same amount, it would be $2,383,018.87 for the season. If we decide to call preseason "real games" then, each player would make $119,150.94 per game. I know that the NFL is a year-round deal, and there is a lot of practice time and meetings, and travel. But if you break it down to what they make per hour on a statistical average, it makes doctors and lawyers red with envy.

All that said, will it change? Probably not. And why, because we, as fans want to beat our chests and say that our team is the best, oblivious to what it's doing to our pocketbooks. It is what it is.

It does bring back some memories from my Mod days here. I got absolutely HAMMERED from my superiors here for challenging Uche on this forum about this very topic. Good times. Smile

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2014, 09:46 PM by jtmoney.)

In regards to baseball, it is still very inexpensive to go to a game. The average fan has not been priced out. Still a game for the working middle class.

Quote:In regards to baseball, it is still very inexpensive to go to a game. The average fan has not been priced out. Still a game for the working middle class.

Yeah but that's because they play so many games. I bet a season ticket wouldn't be cheaper because otherwise the players wouldn't make so much money.

Luckily in Australia the top sports stars in rugby and Aussie rules don't make mega bucks. I could easily afford season tickets for every sports team in Brisbane if I wanted.

My Australian rules season ticket costs 200 for 11 games and the wages are much higher here so its very cheap.

Baseball made the mistake by trying to expose steroid users and making them seem like criminals in the media......

In return they got low scoring game that no body wants to attend and it is even harder to watch on tv. If baseball was smart they would have swept it under the rug, just like NFL swept spy gate, and concussions under the rug...

NFL made the game more exciting to favor offense, much like basketball did as well......baseball needs to find a way to do this.

Quote:Well, what I was also touching on is when will we see NFL fans get sick of it altogether. Meaning they tune out of the sport they know and love because it is no longer the sport they know and love. I know the NFL is a monster still, but will the masses get turned off by the ultra greedy run NFL that Goodell has been pushing since he became commish?

What "ultra greedy run"? The issues specific to a New York/New Jersey Super Bowl? We aren't affected by that. I think anyone attending a Super Bowl can deal with it.

And as a Jaguar fan how are we being gouged? We have the most "reasonable" prices perhaps in the entire NFL. I understand how some can't afford it (especially a family like Eric's) and I know some don't care about the "I've got to be there" aspect and love it on TV, but other than that - how are the NFL owners (it's not Goodell you know) not simply charging what the market can bare?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Pricing does bother me quite a bit, I've not been able to go to many games recently. due to it. They make so much money and over pay their players and gouge us for every dime we have 

Quote:In regards to baseball, it is still very inexpensive to go to a game. The average fan has not been priced out. Still a game for the working middle class.

Are you talking major league baseball?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

While everyone's situation and level of preferences are different,  I plan on continuing to support the NFL financially.  At what level this will be in the future depends greatly on what the NFL does.  I've mentioned this in at least a couple of other threads but it also relates to this thread.   The number one issue for me as an NFL fan is for the sport to have a meaningful regular season.   If the NFL adds more teams to the playoffs,  especially 16 teams,  that is what will lead me to decrease my financial commitment and overall interest in the NFL in a substantial manner.    More playoff teams would be the definition of greed and short sightedness on the part of the NFL.

Quote:Is the NFL getting to that tipping point yet where fans start to fight back on the greed that seems to have become the "new" NFL?  I've been posting on this board for a while and definitely not one to complain (especially about food and ticket prices), but at what point does it become too much?  Has the NFL become a league of greed?  Will this start impacting them financially?  Will this blow up in their face?  Anyways, just thought it was an interesting discussion.  

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...18115.html
I think I should clarify, I would not pay $51 to take a bus to the SB. I love going to Jag games, but this doesn't sound like something I would enjoy.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:What "ultra greedy run"? The issues specific to a New York/New Jersey Super Bowl? We aren't affected by that. I think anyone attending a Super Bowl can deal with it.

And as a Jaguar fan how are we being gouged? We have the most "reasonable" prices perhaps in the entire NFL. I understand how some can't afford it (especially a family like Eric's) and I know some don't care about the "I've got to be there" aspect and love it on TV, but other than that - how are the NFL owners (it's not Goodell you know) not simply charging what the market can bare?

I don't think the NFL is gouging people either at this point. I'm just pointing out that no one is to big to never fail, and naturally over time all organizations rise and fall, at some point something will come  along and knock the NFL down a notch.

Quote:I always said I would never pay for a PSL and I can now also say that I will never pay a $49.99 PPV charge to watch a game on TV. I am a 10 yr ST holder and still enjoy it immensely and will withstand maybe one more price increase but then I'm done.

Maybe its $29.99 I don't know I was just throwing a number out there. Point is I see some kind of deal in the future where they will allow out of market viewers to pay for individual games OR they might open up the NFL Sunday Ticket to everyone and not just Direct TV viewers, something like that.

I saw your point, Eric, and realized the 49- was just a number. My point is that I don't think I'd pay much to watch a game on TV, I would draw the line at a low number (if any).

MLB is absurd with its structure and I ditched it long ago, not having been to a game since 2003 and having no intention of ever going nor of watching it on TV. I have been to several minor league and college games in that time and enjoyed them.

Only a few teams can compete for titles in MLB. The Yankees this year are buying their way back into it and the Red Sox are right there with them. Where does this leave the great fans of Pittsburgh, KC, etc. every year? As soon as their good players mature, they hit FA are immediately signed for their prime years by a big market team. I have no interest in that anymore (I also hate the DH but now I don't care what they do to their game to further ruin it).

The cap in the NFL which levels the playing field is what makes the NFL appealing to watch. I also thought that the Rookie Pay Scale was a needed move- $71 million guaranteed to the likes of Matthew Stafford? It's a franchise killer if the player fails (Stafford has played pretty well, maybe not 71 mill well,  but for every one of him, there's a Jamarcus Russell).

When the more or less level playing field is gone, then so am I.

Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile