Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jacksonville Gets Cruise Ships For SB = Bad, NY Gets Them = Praise From Media

The media is, fickle, to be as nice as possible. NY brings in cruise ships for folks to stay on and they are praised for the idea. Jax does it, and they are bashed.

Enjoy freezing Sunday boys and girls. It'll be mid to upper 70's here in Jacksonville.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't remember anyone criticizing the decision to dock cruise ships in Jacksonville, but if they did, their logic was, "If you don't have enough hotel rooms, you should not host the Super Bowl." New York City has enough hotel rooms, so there had to be another reason to dock cruise ships nearby for a game in New Jersey.

Not so much fickle as 'outright biased'.  

Honestly I hope Jacksonville doesn't host another Super Bowl because of the Super Bowl Host Curse.  I'm sure people will say I'm crazy -- and maybe I am.  But the Giants and Jets both missed the playoffs this year.  And the year Indy hosted?  Peyton Manning happened to go down.  (I made $100 betting the Colts wouldn't make the playoffs that year).

But if they do host another one -- I bet if they bring in cruise ships again, the same media will criticize them for it.  Because nobody is going to remember the time they praised NY for it. 

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I don't remember anyone criticizing the decision to dock cruise ships in Jacksonville, but if they did, their logic was, "If you don't have enough hotel rooms, you should not host the Super Bowl." New York City has enough hotel rooms, so there had to be another reason to dock cruise ships nearby for a game in New Jersey.

The Super Bowl isn't being played in New York City; that's why they had to bring in cruise ships.

<p style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;">

Quote:The Super Bowl isn't being played in New York City; that's why they had to bring in cruise ships.

ny city is just across the river. less than a mile. you get a wonderful view of manhattan from the stadium

It's pretty dumb to play the premiere game of the season and less than a premiere field because of weather.

Paying a few thousand dollars for a couple seats is supposed to be a great experience for the fan...not getting your butt frozen to the seat.

Not to mention the half time performers......Blue Cold peppers and Bruno Mars.

I just don't see how this is going to work.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:The Super Bowl isn't being played in New York City; that's why they had to bring in cruise ships.

Is it not within driving distance of NYC?

This must be killing TMD not to be able to share his insight on this.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:The media is, fickle, to be as nice as possible. NY brings in cruise ships for folks to stay on and they are praised for the idea. Jax does it, and they are bashed.

Enjoy freezing Sunday boys and girls. It'll be mid to upper 70's here in Jacksonville.

LOL, I said the exact same thing when I saw that Bud Light commercial about the party cruise.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:LOL, I said the exact same thing when I saw that Bud Light commercial about the party cruise.

I did too!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:ny city is just across the river. less than a mile. you get a wonderful view of manhattan from the stadium

Quote:Is it not within driving distance of NYC?

Met Life Stadium is 5 miles from the western shore of New York City (Manhattan Island).  Five miles isn't much in Duval County, but it is an eternity of travel time in New York City.

Think about it.....

<p style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;">

Quote:Met Life Stadium is 5 miles from the western shore of New York City (Manhattan Island). Five miles isn't much in Duval County, but it is an eternity of travel time in New York City.

Think about it.....

Its really not that bad if you catch the train.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/SuperBowlXLVIII.htm'>http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/SuperBowlXLVIII.htm</a>

An hour and a half train ride making multiple stops is equivalent to catching a JTA bus traveling from baymeadows to downtown.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:This must be killing TMD not to be able to share his insight on this.

Did he get banned again?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Did he get banned again?

Yes.

If The Mad Dog was not banned, I am sure he would say something bad about the Jaguars to explain why the city was criticized for having cruise ships docked during Super Bowl 39. Nice job by a mod for keeping him off this thread.

Quote:Met Life Stadium is 5 miles from the western shore of New York City (Manhattan Island).  Five miles isn't much in Duval County, but it is an eternity of travel time in New York City.

Think about it.....

im not trying to argue here but , i go through there alot and it really isnt an issue

Quote:Met Life Stadium is 5 miles from the western shore of New York City (Manhattan Island).  Five miles isn't much in Duval County, but it is an eternity of travel time in New York City.

Think about it.....

And New Yorkers make that same trip every football Sunday and for every other event that stadium holds. Location isn't an issue.

Quote:If The Mad Dog was not banned, I am sure he would say something bad about the Jaguars to explain why the city was criticized for having cruise ships docked during Super Bowl 39. Nice job by a mod for keeping him off this thread.
I am pretty sure you got it backwards, he would say they were dogging on the city to make the Jags look bad, not the other way around.

But either way, New 'Yawk' will always be overrated by the media cause its a huge market. They can do nothing wrong. Were as Jacksonville is a backwoods 'hick' town in the national medias mind.  But I don't mind, let the New 'Yawkers" keep NY, just tell them to stop coming down to Orlando and trying to tell me how NY is better (even though they keep coming right back here). Stupid. Obviously they couldn't be paid to stay there, because they were getting paid a lot more in NY, and surprise, they didn't stay.  That's enough on that rant.

J-Ville isn't a flashy city, or even all that new like an Indianapolis. Admittedly there are much nicer city's, but docking us for using cruise ships was baloney.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:And New Yorkers make that same trip every football Sunday and for every other event that stadium holds. Location isn't an issue.

That is why I don't understand the need for cruise ships.

I welcome every and anyone to come to Orlando and spend their money.  No income tax for my check please and thank you.  My better cost of living bought to me by the visiting tourist.

On a personal note, the best thing to ever happen to me was leaving New York in my rear view mirror.  What an awful state for taxes and cost of living.  I grew up in Upstate New York and it is beautiful up there but that doesn't out way the tax burden.

Yeah OP, I chuckled mightily at the party cruise ship in NY good.... bad in Jacksonville.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.