Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Super Bowl halftime performances

Quote:Just as long as it is not Miley Cyrus or Justin the punk Bieber I am good with anybody! Really don't mind!

I have to agree on Justin Bieber. If he is ever selected I won't even watch halftime. Not because of his voice, but his personality.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Of all of the legitimately horrible crap music out there to rag on, I really don't have an issue with Bruno Mars.

I'm not gonna run out and buy any of his music anytime soon, but in this day in age of cookie cutter, computer-made top 40 music, dude actual writes his own music, plays a handful of instruments reasonably well, and is a pretty entertaining showman.

Again, relatively speaking, not sure how anybody could point to him being "what's wrong with music".
This....

The fact that we have to count on bands that were established in the 70's and 80's to save a halftime show just shows you how sad the of a state music is in these days.

Do kids even grow up wanting to play instruments anymore these days?

The record industry is lazy.  They are relying on these reality shows to pre-build a base prior to signing the artist.  They don't understand the new models of streaming and how to change.  There are many many good bands out right now.  Unfortunately the radio is going to recycle the same stuff over and over ad nauseam.  That is just the way it works.  Bruno isn't the worst selection that is true.  I like that the RHCP are going to be there.  One of my all time favorite shows as a kids was Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam and RHCP  headlining.  Ah good times.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:The fact that we have to count on bands that were established in the 70's and 80's to save a halftime show just shows you how sad the of a state music is in these days.

Do kids even grow up wanting to play instruments anymore these days?

Do you really think that's why the NFL is using people like that? I'm thinking it has more to do with Janet Jackson's boob.

Are RHCP playing?

Black Eyed Peas were bad...

Prince was the best I can think of at the moment.

Any chance of a Justin Timberlake/Janet Jackson encore?

Quote:Black Eyed Peas were bad...

Prince was the best I can think of at the moment.

It seemed like the whole board hated BEP. I certainly did.

I don't even remember Prince.

Quote:Any chance of a Justin Timberlake/Janet Jackson encore?

No way. After that CBS was fined big time and the NFL said, "Never again."

Black Eye Peas were bad but I think it had to do more with them not using pre-recorded music.  It seemed like they were singing/performing without a good monitor feed to their ear.  I'm not a very good singer and man without a good monitor signal you will sound beyond awful.

I did enjoy the Prince show.  The Madonna show wasn't too bad.  Beyoncé was good and I'm not even a fan.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Prince I think was 2006 Indy v Chicago in the rain. He shredded.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Prince and Tom Petty were the best in recent years. 

I'm one of the select few that actually enjoy Bruno Mars music I see? The guy makes great pop music and I understand that I'm not gonna be enlightened when listening to it.

I like the mixture of Bruno with RHCP, interested to see what it looks like.

I guess I don't really pay attention during half time because I don't really remember to many of the past performances.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:I'm one of the select few that actually enjoy Bruno Mars music I see? The guy makes great pop music and I understand that I'm not gonna be enlightened when listening to it.

I guess I don't really pay attention during half time because I don't really remember to many of the past performances.
I'm no hater of the kid, either.  He does what he does very well.  I do happen to prefer lots of alternatives to what he does  - but it won't pain me  at all to listen to him at halftime while I'm in the kitchen frying a second batch of wings. 

Quote:I'm no hater of the kid, either. He does what he does very well. I do happen to prefer lots of alternatives to what he does - but it won't pain me at all to listen to him at halftime while I'm in the kitchen frying a second batch of wings.

Speaking of food what is everybody cooking up for the game. Were gonna grill up some carne asada and maybe some chicken.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

I'm doing a huge wing spread.  Boneless and traditional.  Two sauces - Chipotle Buffalo -  and Thai Chili/Hoisin.  

Making some  Salsa Verde and corn tortilla chips.  Guacamole.   Chili.    and , of course,  jalapeño Margarita's.   

Quote:I'm one of the select few that actually enjoy Bruno Mars music I see? The guy makes great pop music and I understand that I'm not gonna be enlightened when listening to it.

I guess I don't really pay attention during halftime because I don't really remember to many of the past performances.

I had never heard of Bruno Mars before reading this thread.

Fun fact: The 10th annual Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet has a Bruno Mars song that is expected to be sun tonight in its feline halftime show. That is how I know one song probably will be "Locked Out of Heaven."

Quote:I had never heard of Bruno Mars before reading this thread.

Fun fact: The 10th annual Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet has a Bruno Mars song that is expected to be sun tonight in its feline halftime show. That is how I know one song probably will be "Locked Out of Heaven."

That's an odd song for the puppy bowl... :blink:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:That's an odd song for the Puppy Bowl.

I know. They are just trying to make it as similar as possible to the real game and picked the wrong song for their halftime show.

This might have been one of the best, good job OP. You're a psychic