Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags 2014 Draft Predictions

If you followed the board leading up to the draft last year, you will remember I correctly predicted the Jags would draft an OT with the #2 pick.  Many people did not believe it, but I used logic and deductive reasoning based on team needs, player ranking/character, and who would probably be available later in the draft at other positions of need to make my best guess.

At this point, before the Combine and the Pro Days, it is hard to predict what the 1st round will look like and what the Jags might do.  That being my current guesses are: (of course there will be draft day trades, but unpredictable right now)

1. HOU – QB T. Bridgewater

2. STL – DE J. Clowney (STL could go OT, and we would be looking hard at Clowney)

3. JAC – QB Blake Bortles

4. CLE – QB J. Manziel

5. OAK – OT G. Robinson

6. ATL – OT J. Matthews

7. TAM – OLB A. Barr

8. MIN – QB D. Carr

9. BUF – DE/OLB K. Mack

10. DET – WR S. Watkins

Round 2 – OC Travis Swanson, Arkansas

Round 3 – WR Davante Adams, Fresno State

Round 4 – RB Lache Seastrunk, Baylor

Note:  Some "experts" are predicting Bortles will jump to #1 to the Texans by draft time.  If he doesn't,  I would not be surprised if Cleveland traded up to #2 to take Bortles.  If that happens, we draft Clowney, but are left hanging at QB.  However, Caldwell might reach for Carr at #3, because I doubt he falls to round 2, and the drop off is then huge after him.   Hopefully we could find a LEO in Free Agency or get lucky late in the draft.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If we get Clowney, I believe that one of Carr/Fales/Manziel will be available at a later pick and won't be as much as an investment.

No thanks to Carr, but I agree with your top 3.

Quote:If we get Clowney, I believe that one of Carr/Fales/Manziel will be available at a later pick and won't be as much as an investment.
I would think only Fales would be available later, and that would be round 3-4.  Manziel will definitely go in round 1.  Carr should go in the 1st since their are so many teams that need a QB.  Once again the position will be over-drafted in round 1.

Should Dave trade up to secure Clowney i mean he seems to be the safest bet at that high of a pick.

To me my gut is telling me Garrop in round 3 and defense in the first two rounds.

Texans Clowney

Rams Matthews

Jaguars Bridgewater

Browns Bortles

Raiders Manziel

Trade up? From 3?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

And regarding th OP- since we are tooting our flutes here, I predicted Joekel to the Jags.

Much to the LOL of a few posters as a matter of fact.

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2014, 12:43 PM by ATLjag.)

I keep flipping back and forth between a QB and Clowney at pick 3. My gut says QB at the moment, with the best available of Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel (in that order). Clowney taking plays off seems to be very against Gus's football character guy that he demands. I think any of these 3 QBs have the ability to be a good pro (probably not elite). The dropoff to the next grouping of QBs (Carr, Mettenberger, Fales....) is significant in my mind, as backup caliber players.

Swap Devante Adams with Donte Moncrief and change Seastrunk with the best available dt or DE and it's solid. I really have a feeling we dont address RB till the fifth or later. And I have a man crush on Moncrief
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

The three top Qbs belong outside of the top10. Hopefully we don't make a mistake.

Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:If we get Clowney, I believe that one of Carr/Fales/Manziel will be available at a later pick and won't be as much as an investment.

If we get Clowney we miss out on Manziel.

Quote:Texans Clowney

Rams Matthews

Jaguars Bridgewater

Browns Bortles

Raiders Manziel

I hope you are right about the Texans and Rams.

Why would the team that is so high on Manziel pick Bortles instead?

Quote:To me my gut is telling me Garrop in round 3 and defense in the first two rounds.
If we miss out on Bortles and Bridgewater both in the 1st round somehow, I guess that could happen.  But if we took Clowney in the 1st, I really don't see Caldwell taking any other defensive position in round 2 over interior O-line or best available RB or WR.

Quote:And regarding th OP- since we are tooting our flutes here, I predicted Joekel to the Jags.

Much to the LOL of a few posters as a matter of fact.
Yep, not many people could believe we would draft an OT that high and put him at RT.  My logic was - why not?  It will only be for one year, then Monroe would be gone.  Plus, the Chiefs drafting at #1 were set to do the same thing.

Quote:Yep, not many people could believe we would draft an OT that high and put him at RT.  My logic was - why not?  It will only be for one year, then Monroe would be gone.  Plus, the Chiefs drafting at #1 were set to do the same thing.

The reason why not is we had not talked to anybody about trading Eugene Monroe yet. I assumed he would get an extension because he was our best offensive lineman. Without knowing the chances of that happening were low, there was no way I could have known we actually would need to move our rookie to the left side.

Quote:I hope you are right about the Texans and Rams.

Why would the team that is so high on Manziel pick Bortles instead?

I hope that is wrong. Watt and Clowney scares me. I hope the texans grab a QB and then the falcons trade up to #2 for clowney, tho I would be happy if the browns traded to #2 for Manziel and then the Falcons traded up to us for Clowney.

"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

Quote:I hope that is wrong. Watt and Clowney scares me. I hope the texans grab a QB and then the falcons trade up to #2 for clowney, tho I would be happy if the browns traded to #2 for Manziel and then the Falcons traded up to us for Clowney.
Browns don't need to trade up for Manziel.  He will be there at #4.  Texans are not taking him #1, Rams not taking a QB, and Jags would take Bortles over him I am pretty sure.

Quote:I keep flipping back and forth between a QB and Clowney at pick 3. My gut says QB at the moment, with the best available of Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel (in that order). Clowney taking plays off seems to be very against Gus's football character guy that he demands. I think any of these 3 QBs have the ability to be a good pro (probably not elite). The dropoff to the next grouping of QBs (Carr, Mettenberger, Fales....) is significant in my mind, as backup caliber players.
Because he is such a beast, and we need pass rushers for sure, it sounds funny to say it, but I hope Clowney is gone by #3 so Caldwell does not have to make a decision on taking him.  If he took a year off, traveled with an entourage, and drove like an idiot in college, what do you think he will do when he becomes a millionaire?? No thanks.  He would be in da clubs "making it rain" every night.  LOL