Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hey look, the Dolphins are following in the Weaver Jaguars footsteps...

I remember when Weaver made the mistake of the "shared" or "committee" approach in 2003...

Welp, history teaches people nothing, apparently....

per rotoworld: 

The Dolphins have hired Bucs director of player personnel Dennis Hickey as their general manager.

Titans VP Lake Dawson turned down the job Sunday, joining Cleveland's Ray Farmer and New England's Nick Caserio as candidates to spurn the Dolphins. Hickey spent the past 18 seasons in Tampa Bay's front office and was never interviewed for the GM opening there. He has a college scouting background and was promoted to director of player personnel in 2011. It's unclear how much power Hickey will have in Miami. The structure in South Beach is awfully confusing. Hickey, coach Joe Philbin, and executive Dawn Aponte all apparently will have an equal voice with owner Stephen Ross. Aponte is the team's contract negotiator and salary-cap guru. Hickey just gets the GM title.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

someone always thinks they can do it better

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->;

;

Quote:someone always thinks they can do it better

The last sentence or 2 in that article is like a carbon copy of the Jags circa 2003. Just change the names. 

Quote:The last sentence or 2 in that article is like a carbon copy of the Jags circa 2003. Just change the names. 

Oh so one team sucking while doing that automatically means the other team will suck for the same reasons?  Gotcha.

If they pick the right guys, it won't matter at all.  I think there's more than 1 way to achieve success in the league.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:The last sentence or 2 in that article is like a carbon copy of the Jags circa 2003. Just change the names. 
And your title of the thread lets us all know that this is really not about the Dolphins. It's just another thinly veiled, backhanded jab at the team that you claim to be a fan of.

It's rather pathetic.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:And your title of the thread lets us all know that this is really not about the Dolphins. It's just another thinly veiled, backhanded jab at the team that you claim to be a fan of.

It's rather pathetic.

Yup.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:And your title of the thread lets us all know that this is really not about the Dolphins. It's just another thinly veiled, backhanded jab at the team that you claim to be a fan of.

It's rather pathetic.

Wow, thats actually not true. Its ripping on the CONCEPT, the failed CONCEPT that didn't work for us and now is being used by another. 

You think you know everything but you don't. 

But you're more stubborn than I am, so I know I won't alter your opinion. 

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2014, 03:02 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Oh so one team sucking while doing that automatically means the other team will suck for the same reasons?  Gotcha.

If they pick the right guys, it won't matter at all.  I think there's more than 1 way to achieve success in the league.

Its a recipe for failure. It creates too many chiefs and not enough indians. A pass the buck blame game too. 

A more specific structured system of responsibilities and accountability works better in the NFL world, IMO. 

Ultimately it will fail. 

I predict and entire regime upheaval in Miami within 4 years...and at that time, the "committee" approach will be scrapped. 

Quote:You think you know everything but you don't.

The pot exclaimed to the kettle...

Did it feel strange typing that sentence out?

Related to the theme of the thread:  Of the 3 NFL teams based in Florida,  the Jaguars organizational structure gives them the best chance to have sustained success.

In the case of the Dolphins,  one major difference between former Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver and current Dolphins owner Stephen Ross,  the latter doesn't even live in the area where the team is based.  Ross lives in NYC,  which is over 1000 miles from Miami.   When you hire a G.M.  that didn't put the key current elements of the organization in place,  including the Head Coach,  having an absentee owner could easily lead to dysfunction. 

I honestly couldn't care less about what the Cuba Dolphins are doing.

Not saying you are wrong, but is there enough statistical evidence to back up your statement?  How many front offices have been set up this way and how many have failed?  How does it compare to the success or failure rate of the traditional front office?  The fact that it failed in Jacksonville is statistically irrelevant.  I think a lot of people would hold your posts in a higher regard if you stopped relying solely on anecdotal evidence and your own assertions to arrive at conclusions.

Who cares

Quote:Who cares

If you don't then why'd you venture into the NFL AT LARGE forum and make 2 posts saying the same thing? If you really don't care, go back to the Jaguars forum. 

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2014, 04:45 PM by rollerjag.)

Phil Savage turned Weaver down because he wanted full control over football operations, instead of the shared responsibilities concept Weaver favored. How did that work for him in Cleveland?

It all boils down more to who is doing the job than it does how the responsibilities of the job are shared.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Wow, thats actually not true. Its ripping on the CONCEPT, the failed CONCEPT that didn't work for us and now is being used by another. 

You think you know everything but you don't. 

But you're more stubborn than I am, so I know I won't alter your opinion. 

At one point, the Vikings had a similar structure.

Why not cite them?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:At one point, the Vikings had a similar structure.

Why not cite them?

Was unaware the Vikings also had this horribad structure. I'll be glad to add them to the mix of teams that has shown this method does not work. 

To infer that I didn't on purpose, or that I'm just trying to pick on the Jags here is ridiculous. Mob mentality. 

Quote:Was unaware the Vikings also had this horribad structure. I'll be glad to add them to the mix of teams that has shown this method does not work. 

To infer that I didn't on purpose, or that I'm just trying to pick on the Jags here is ridiculous. Mob mentality. 

But you could have made the point without citing the Jaguars at all.

You bring a lot of the scrutiny on yourself, much like you claim the Jaguars have done.

Quote:But you could have made the point without citing the Jaguars at all.

You bring a lot of the scrutiny on yourself, much like you claim the Jaguars have done.

No because the Jaguars are the closest example to why that method doesn't work that anyone on here would identify to. 

You, Dakota and a few others jumped the gun on this one. 

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2014, 05:28 PM by Bullseye.)

Quote:No because the Jaguars are the closest example to why that method doesn't work that anyone on here would identify to. 

You, Dakota and a few others jumped the gun on this one. 

Not at all.

Not when you turned on Bradley literally within hours of him being named head coach.

Besides, the "one voice" didn't work for Gene Smith and the Jaguars, either.