Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Steelers to trade Ben Rothlisberger? Per Charlie Campbell (Unsubstantial Rumor)

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

Honestly it seems like nothing more than wild speculation.  But it's absolutely hilarious that anyone would report such a rumor. I'm sure we should all start panicking now about Big Ben to the Texans.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Let's just leave out the Rooney's stating they are looking to keep Rothlisberger in Pittsburgh for the remainder of his career.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2014, 02:11 PM by The Mad Dog.)

I'd be surprised if they traded Ben, but to be honest, the Steelers would probably be smart to do it now. I doubt his value will ever be higher, as I believe he's starting the decline of his career. 

If this was the Jags in the same situation though, they'd probably just keep him till decrepit and miss the opportunity, see our handling of MoJo when we should have dealt him years ago like I said to do. 

Quote:I'd be surprised if they traded Ben, but to be honest, the Steelers would probably be smart to do it now. I doubt his value will ever be higher, as I believe he's starting the decline of his career.

If this was the Jags in the same situation though, they'd probably just keep him till decrepit and miss the opportunity, see our handling of MoJo when we should have dealt him years ago like I said to do.

Who was the GM years ago?

Trade him for their second? Nah, more like their 3rd, I could see that. He's not around long enough to be worth more.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I heard whispers of this weeks ago. It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Not sure if the Jags should pull the trigger on a deal for him or not though. I think the price tag may be too high to make is worthwhile.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:I heard whispers of this weeks ago. It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Not sure if the Jags should pull the trigger on a deal for him or not though. I think the price tag may be too high to make is worthwhile.

I wouldn't give higher than our 3rd, and I don't even know if thats not too high, given where I think his career is headed at this point. 

If this was true, we should absolutely go after him.  2 time super bowl winner.  He is only 31.  finished 9th in qb rating this year.  9th in passing yards.  7th in passing TDs.  We'd be lucky if we can find another guy this offseason(draft or free agency) who would put up those kinds of numbers just once in the next 10 seasons.

My only concern is Jax is pretty close to Milledgeville and his lake house on Lake Oconee.  We dont need him raping anymore co-eds.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2014, 03:11 PM by Varan101.)

I would love to have him for a few seasons throwing the ball to Shorts and Blackmon.  And then you have a draft pick waiting behind him to take over.

Quote:I would love to have him for a few seasons throwing the ball to Shorts and Blackmon.  And then you have a draft pick waiting behind him to take over.

Pending what it would cost, I'd be okay with that concept.....I just wouldn't want to go too steep given his age. You say only 31 but he might only have 3 or 4 really decent seasons left. Look at Brunell and McNabb, by 35 they were toast. 

Quote:I'd be surprised if they traded Ben, but to be honest, the Steelers would probably be smart to do it now. I doubt his value will ever be higher, as I believe he's starting the decline of his career. 

Hey - we get it. Everyone who has worked for years in the NFL doesn't have nearly the smarts that you possess. We realize that you probably actually believe that, which makes you incredibly pompous and overbearing. I'm just trying to get you to understand that we know where you're coming from - so you don't need to share your vast knowledge and insight with us. 

How about it? Give it a try?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2014, 07:01 PM by SuperJville.)

Yeah lets trade a clutch 2-time winning superbowl winner because "his value is beginning to decline".... It's [BLEEP]...

The guy can play, he hasn't shown signs of getting worse.  The steelers need to improve their entire team.. QB is an area of strength.  Trading away your most important player who has proven he can win it all should get you fired instantly.  It's not like the guy is 38 years old.

The ONLY way this would make even a little bit of sense is if you already have a younger, cheaper QB on your roster who has shown that he can be your franchise QB.  The Steelers don't have that.  No way will they do it or should they do it.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Yeah lets trade a clutch 2-time winning superbowl winner because "his value is beginning to decline".... It's [BLEEP]...

The guy can play, he hasn't shown signs of getting worse.  The steelers need to improve their entire team.. QB is an area of strength.  Trading away your most important player who has proven he can win it all should get you fired instantly.  It's not like the guy is 38 years old.

The ONLY way this would make even a little bit of sense is if you already have a younger, cheaper QB on your roster who has shown that he can be your franchise QB.  The Steelers don't have that.  No way will they do it or should they do it.

He has shown signs of decline this past year. Slight, but still.....

As for the 38 years old comment, as mentioned before, not all QB even play to that age, McNabb was done (for all intents and purposes) by 35. As was Brunell. 

You are one of these people that like to sit on their assets until they widdle away to nothing, rather than cashing in for some return value while you still can. 

While Ben is still a good QB, theres a real good chance his best days are behind him. 

He's not Manning. Few are. So lets not pretend that every QB is going to play at his level into their upper 30's. 

Quote:He has shown signs of decline this past year. Slight, but still.....

As for the 38 years old comment, as mentioned before, not all QB even play to that age, McNabb was done (for all intents and purposes) by 35. As was Brunell. 

You are one of these people that like to sit on their assets until they widdle away to nothing, rather than cashing in for some return value while you still can. 

While Ben is still a good QB, theres a real good chance his best days are behind him. 

He's not Manning. Few are. So lets not pretend that every QB is going to play at his level into their upper 30's. 

The Steelers had a nice little push for the playoffs at the end of the year.  Why would you trade away a QB that you yourself call good still at the age of 31?  You know how hard it is to find a franchise QB capable of winning a superbowl.  They have one.  When you have a guy like that, you should play him until he retires basically or when he becomes the reason you're not winning.  No other team with pro bowl caliber, super bowl winning QBs trade their QBs.  It's just ridiculously stupid.

McNabb and Brunell relied on athleticism much more than Ben... when they lost their wheels, they lost their effectiveness.  Ben can play at this level for a while because he's not a scrambler... He can move in the pocket and can get away from pressure, but it's not because of pure speed and quickness.

He hasn't shown anything to indicate he isn't a QB worth building around.  So in that regard, absolutely I'm the type that would "sit on my assets" in Roethlisberger's case.

I'm open to trades... but trading your franchise QB for a 2nd round pick for example (or even a 1st round pick) is just [BLEEP].   

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote: 

I really hope you're not that dense.  You're not "sitting on your assets"...  sitting on your assets would be if Ben was riding the bench, without any use for the franchise.  He has a legitimate chance of taking the Steelers to the playoffs for the next 3-4 years easily.  If they're in the playoffs, all bets are off - he's a 2 time winning, clutch QB.  Betting against him wouldn't be wise.  That's not "sitting on your assets"... that IS an asset.  He's most valuable when he's actually PLAYING FOR YOU, winning games for you, winning superbowls for you.

The only one "sitting on their assets" are the Patriots with Mallet.  He's of no use for them, and if they don't trade him now, they would have completely wasted a 3rd round pick for him.

Quote:I really hope you're not that dense.  You're not "sitting on your assets"...  sitting on your assets would be if Ben was riding the bench, without any use for the franchise.  He has a legitimate chance of taking the Steelers to the playoffs for the next 3-4 years easily.  If they're in the playoffs, all bets are off - he's a 2 time winning, clutch QB.  Betting against him wouldn't be wise.  That's not "sitting on your assets"... that IS an asset.  He's most valuable when he's actually PLAYING FOR YOU, winning games for you, winning superbowls for you.

The only one "sitting on their assets" are the Patriots with Mallet.  He's of no use for them, and if they don't trade him now, they would have completely wasted a 3rd round pick for him.

Exactly.

Pitt. isnt that stupid.  All they need to do is fix there oline and get them healthy.  Also get another WR opposite of Brown and they will be in good shape.  Ben is 31 and not on the decline he just had one of the worst olines in football and the good players they did have on the oline were hurt. 

Quote:I really hope you're not that dense.  You're not "sitting on your assets"...  sitting on your assets would be if Ben was riding the bench, without any use for the franchise.  He has a legitimate chance of taking the Steelers to the playoffs for the next 3-4 years easily.  If they're in the playoffs, all bets are off - he's a 2 time winning, clutch QB.  Betting against him wouldn't be wise.  That's not "sitting on your assets"... that IS an asset.  He's most valuable when he's actually PLAYING FOR YOU, winning games for you, winning superbowls for you.

This^  They wont trade Ben.   He will be a top 5 QB again next year when his oline is healty and they get another WR opposite Brown

I'm just waiting for him to write that Green Bay should trade Aaron Rodgers because he's 31 his value has "peaked" or some other ridiculous sh1t

Quote:Who was the GM years ago?
 Umm......That Gene Guy, the one where he left a roster in a state that could be beaten by a canadian football team? *Cheers*