Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Steelers to trade Ben Rothlisberger? Per Charlie Campbell (Unsubstantial Rumor)

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2014, 01:45 AM by knarnn.)

Trade away your franchise QB without already having a viable replacement? Do you know how hard it is to find a franchise QB? Whoever wrote this article is really reaching or the Steelers GM is shooting for an early forced retirement.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2014, 02:08 AM by Caldrac.)

Ben isn't going anywhere. He's the least of their problems up there right now in the Steel City. What's hurt them is poor coaching decisions and just an aging defense that has yet to have it's talent re-stocked and re-vamped to get it back to where it needs to be. They went 8 - 8 in a competitive AFC North last year. They've gotten away from what's made them a 10 - 6 /11 - 5 winning football team that we've typically seen each year though. And that's running the football consistently and getting more turnovers defensively. That blame needs to go towards Todd Haley, Mike Tomlin, and Kevin Colbert.  

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2014, 06:21 PM by ATLjag.)

With a QB favored league, it only makes sense for the Steelers to trade a franchise level QB (for value) if they had someone else on the roster that they believe strongly to be their next franchise or even elite level QB. Today, they have Bruce Gradkowski as the backup and Landry Jones as the developing 3rd stringer. I just don't see either of these two behind Big Ben as someone to risk the franchise upon. I don't think the rumor has any merit. Ben has some tread on the tires.

Like anyone on the market gives Pittsburgh a better chance to win than Ben. 

Charlie Batch is Pittsburgh's Todd Bouman.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Charlie Batch is Pittsburgh's Todd Bouman.
Actually, Byron Leftwich is Pittsburgh's Todd Bouman. Wallbash

Quote:http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

Honestly it seems like nothing more than wild speculation.  But it's absolutely hilarious that anyone would report such a rumor. I'm sure we should all start panicking now about Big Ben to the Texans.

I was in Pittsburgh in November and there was a rumor then that they were going to try and trade him.

Where there is smoke there is fire.

Quote:Ben isn't going anywhere. He's the least of their problems up there right now in the Steel City. What's hurt them is poor coaching decisions and just an aging defense that has yet to have it's talent re-stocked and re-vamped to get it back to where it needs to be. They went 8 - 8 in a competitive AFC North last year. They've gotten away from what's made them a 10 - 6 /11 - 5 winning football team that we've typically seen each year though. And that's running the football consistently and getting more turnovers defensively. That blame needs to go towards Todd Haley, Mike Tomlin, and Kevin Colbert.  

Exactly right.

Quote:I was in Pittsburgh in November and there was a rumor then that they were going to try and trade him.

Where there is smoke there is fire.

I doubt there is any truth to the article, though you have to admit the relationship between the Steelers and Roethlisberger seems somewhat tenuous since the Steelers force retired Arians to replace him with Haley. Gives you a moment of pause to consider it could actually happen.

Quote: 

<div> 
I doubt there is any truth to the article, though you have to admit the relationship between the Steelers and Roethlisberger seems somewhat tenuous since the Steelers force retired Arians to replace him with Haley. Gives you a moment of pause to consider it could actually happen.

</div>

The Steelers seem to be pretty far away from becoming a power again.  Why not trade your qb who is aging rather quickly and get what you can for him.  There would be a team out there that could give up a good chunk for him.

The steelers have alot of old guys on defense too

Quote:The Steelers seem to be pretty far away from becoming a power again.  Why not trade your qb who is aging rather quickly and get what you can for him.  There would be a team out there that could give up a good chunk for him.

The answer to your question is the one that crystallizes the issue facing so many NFL teams out there; "Where do you get the guy to replace him?"

Guys that play at the level of Roethlisberger are really, really hard to find. And they're usually expensive to keep as well. When you get one, you hold on to him. Not so much because you like him, but because it's really hard to find one that's as good or better than him. If Pittsburgh "gets what they can for him", then how are they going to replace his production?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:The answer to your question is the one that crystallizes the issue facing so many NFL teams out there; "Where do you get the guy to replace him?"

Guys that play at the level of Roethlisberger are really, really hard to find. And they're usually expensive to keep as well. When you get one, you hold on to him. Not so much because you like him, but because it's really hard to find one that's as good or better than him. If Pittsburgh "gets what they can for him", then how are they going to replace his production?

With his production this year they didnt make the playoffs.  By the time they have a team capable of contending for a championship, there is a good chance he will be past his prime.  The guy takes tons of shots year after year because of the way he stands in the pocket.  His body is bound to break down soon.

Quote:With his production this year they didnt make the playoffs.  By the time they have a team capable of contending for a championship, there is a good chance he will be past his prime.  The guy takes tons of shots year after year because of the way he stands in the pocket.  His body is bound to break down soon.

And when it does, how do you replace him? Who out there is better than Ben? I'm not saying that he's great or anything, just that even a competent QB is tough to come by. If you let him go, you better have someone just as good or better to take his spot.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:And when it does, how do you replace him? Who out there is better than Ben? I'm not saying that he's great or anything, just that even a competent QB is tough to come by. If you let him go, you better have someone just as good or better to take his spot.

Again, sometimes you have to plan for the future.  If you keep him and go 7-9 or 8-8 for the next few years, what exactly does that give you? 

Get picks now and work on grooming your next qb.  Pittsburgh's defense is as old as they come.